Slimline Installation question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tsbarker13

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Virginia, USA
This soiunds like a simple question, but I can see "both sides of the fence". In installing a Slimline 5-LNB antenna, if I am only servicing up one TV, can I omit the multiswitch? Can I simple have the 21-V power supply line go straight to the LNB suite (And the other to the IRD)?

Or, do I still need the multiswitch to correctly handle the power distribution to the LNBs?

Thank you for your help in clarifying for me.

Assuming you have an SWM LNB, then a multiswitch isn't used. I'm not quite sure about this, but I think the power inserter is all you need. To supply another receiver you'd need an SWM splitter.

Assuming you have an SWM LNB, then a multiswitch isn't used. I'm not quite sure about this, but I think the power inserter is all you need. To supply another receiver you'd need an SWM splitter.

correct.. cant work unless you got a SMW splitter, even for a one box install, gotta have the splitter. can use a 4 or a 8 splitter.

I guess I am calling parts by the wrong name. I was thinking about the 4-port or 8-port splitter. I was calling that the mulitswtch, thinking that was what was used feed multiple TVs from the single antenna.

So, as I read it, I DO need the 4-port splitter even if I only have one TV

correct.. cant work unless you got a SMW splitter, even for a one box install, gotta have the splitter. can use a 4 or a 8 splitter.

Are you sure? Why would you need a splitter if you are not splitting?

"SWM Splitters
In practically every installation, a splitter is required whether you're using an SWM LNB or an SWM Multi-Switch. The only time we've gotten away without using a splitter is a one-receiver DVR installation - running straight from the SWM LNB to the SWM Power Supply to the receiver. ALL multi-receiver installs will require a splitter. The number of receivers to be installed will determine the type SWM Splitter needed (2-way, 4-way or 8-way). SWM Splitters are unique - you cannot use ordinary splitters in your installation!"

Are you sure? Why would you need a splitter if you are not splitting?

"SWM Splitters
In practically every installation, a splitter is required whether you're using an SWM LNB or an SWM Multi-Switch. The only time we've gotten away without using a splitter is a one-receiver DVR installation - running straight from the SWM LNB to the SWM Power Supply to the receiver. ALL multi-receiver installs will require a splitter. The number of receivers to be installed will determine the type SWM Splitter needed (2-way, 4-way or 8-way). SWM Splitters are unique - you cannot use ordinary splitters in your installation!"

dont ask me, im told by the DST that we are to use Splitters and only need a multi switch if you got more than one dish set up.

ive never done a single box install without a splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts