Sling adding ABC in 8 markets soon, will raise rate by $5 in 5 of those markets

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN

Sling TV announced that they will be adding ABC to their live TV streaming service in select markets. Its the 8 O&O markets
As a result of us offering these three local channels (ABC, FOX, NBC), the monthly cost of Sling Orange, and Sling Orange & Sling Blue combo will increase by $5 per month in those five markets only. The pricing will stay the same for Sling Blue and Sling Orange & Sling Blue combo customers throughout the rest of the country, including in the other three markets (Fresno, Houston, Raleigh) receiving the new local ABC channels. The new pricing for affected new and existing customers will be reflected on their next bill on or after March 1, 2023.
ABC locals will be added in 8 markets, but only five markets will see a $5 a month price hike.

Here are the markets Sling TV is a $5 fee to:
  • Chicago
  • Los Angeles
  • New York
  • Philadelphia
  • San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Sling TV says these locals will go live on March 1st, 2023.

Last edited:
So if I won't want ABC can I forgo the $5 fee?
are you in one of the 5 markets that gets NBC, FOX and soon ABC on Sling?
(NY, LA, Chicago, Philly, San Fran)

You can't forgo locals but unless you are in one of those 5 markets you do not get the $5 rate increase.
Fresno, Houston, Raleigh are the other 3 ABC O&O but are not subject to the price increase

Reactions: ncted
are you in one of the 5 markets that gets NBC, FOX and soon ABC on Sling?
(NY, LA, Chicago, Philly, San Fran)

You can't forgo locals but unless you are in one of those 5 markets you do not get the $5 rate increase.
Fresno, Houston, Raleigh are the other 3 ABC O&O but are not subject to the price increase
This goes back to the original problem with Cable fees. People didn't want to pay for things they don't use.

Reactions: dishdude
I agree but its only 5 markets where the bill will be higher. Everybody else their bill stays the same. Like I say if they add locals to more markets hopefully they make it optional.

I agree but its only 5 markets where the bill will be higher. Everybody else their bill stays the same. Like I say if they add locals to more markets hopefully they make it optional.
Could that hurt Sling, $5 for just ABC seems steep. Unless there is more to the deal.

Could that hurt Sling, $5 for just ABC seems steep. Unless there is more to the deal.
Its probably part of the Disney deal where Sling and Dish lost the ESPN's/Disney nets for a day.

But I do agree about the $5 upgrade. It is kinda steep. But remember there are now numerous different sling customers based on their locals
Ones with no locals
Ones with only a FOX
Ones with only a NBC
Ones with both
and now throw ABC into the mix

But like I say, if they get more agreements with companies for locals and they add them, make it optional!

$5... for a local? Don't local cable companies have local channel packages for near nothing? Or was that a did thing?

This goes back to the original problem with Cable fees. People didn't want to pay for things they don't use.
One of the reasons I will never consider DirecTV, I do not want the RSN here in Florida, so if I had that service, I would have to pay a RSN fee of $15.99.

Same for Spectrum/Charter, do not need the locals, have a Antenna ( and watch all shows on the streaming services anyways), so I do not want the locals and pay a extra $21.99 a month.

But I do want to watch the Tigers and Red Wings back home, so I do pay for MLB and ESPN+.

And soon Sunday Ticket for the Lions.

$5... for a local? Don't local cable companies have local channel packages for near nothing? Or was that a did thing?
Yes, it was less expensive then the typical package when I had Comcast, it was called Limited Basic, back then it was $15, I have no idea what it is today.

Dish Network also used to have one also, but no longer.

Juan, you really need to start using Google before you post more mis-information.

Limited Basic Cable​

Our Limited Basic package offers you a range of basic channels. These include:

• Local broadcast stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc.)
  • Local government channels
  • Education channels

I wonder how they know if you're in one of those areas...is it the address you used to signup or is it by geolocation of where you're logging in from? What if you're traveling to one of these cities temporarily?

Locals are worthless, I wouldn't pay $1 for them. I get them free OTA and other than the occasional local news, I don't watch them. The local news is posted to YT anyway.

Its really not the price but more the broadcast fee that is added on. When I last had cable (5 years ago) it was 29.99 a month for internet only for a year or 34.99 for internet and lifeline cable which is the locals (and most subchannels), religious channels, public access, etc. The issue was the (at the time) 11.99 broadcast fee added on top. Then it kept going up.
Looking at my old area they add lifeline for $10 a month (says normally $40) but the broadcast fee is now 25.11 (!!!!)
Local Broadcast Station Surcharge $25.11

• Wow
Reactions: ncted and Yespage
I wonder how they know if you're in one of those areas...is it the address you used to signup or is it by geolocation of where you're logging in from? What if you're traveling to one of these cities temporarily?
its your internet location. Signing up does not require an address, just an email
I do not get any locals on Sling (my locals are all owned by Gray and not the network) but its what market you are in.
I don't know how that works when you travel from say Minneapolis (where they get FOX) to Chicago (where they get NBC and FOX)

Locals are worthless, I wouldn't pay $1 for them. I get them free OTA and other than the occasional local news, I don't watch them. The local news is posted to YT anyway.
Broadcast Networks still get the best rating, it goes down every year, but still the best.

But more and more are understanding that the majority of content is on the streaming services along what is on their owned cable channels, along with the exclusive stuff and in better quality and a lot less expensive.

Local News, as you said, usually have a app on a Roku type box.

so the desk is saying its only on Sling Orange and Orange+Blue customers for the price increase

On March 1, customers in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Fresno, Houston, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Raleigh-Durham will be able to access the live feed of their local ABC station when they subscribe to either Sling Orange or a combined Sling Orange-Sling Blue package.
Sling Blue subscribers will not get ABC feeds at all.

Now I'm confused
Sling Blue gives you NBC & FOX in specific markets but it doesnt say if ABC is going to Blue, Orange or both

I assume ABC will be on Orange (with the other Disney nets) but are you getting the $5 increase if you sub to Orange only? Sounds like if you have both you'll be billed

I never thought Sling was interested in adding locals. They always suggested the viewer use an antenna. Why the change now? It looks like soon Sling will be into the same dispute garbage Dish and others have. Right now Dish still has a dispute with Cox. I think adding locals on Sling is not a good idea. Then more people will be mad during disputes and they will lose subs. I have applauded so many of the streaming services for not carrying locals. One less issue to deal with. These disputes are going to get to the point where no carrier will be able to carry locals in the future anyway. The thought of $5 for ABC? That is crazy.

Reactions: djont57
I never thought Sling was interested in adding locals. They always suggested the viewer use an antenna. Why the change now? It looks like soon Sling will be into the same dispute garbage Dish and others have. Right now Dish still has a dispute with Cox. I think adding locals on Sling is not a good idea. Then more people will be mad during disputes and they will lose subs. I have applauded so many of the streaming services for not carrying locals. One less issue to deal with. These disputes are going to get to the point where no carrier will be able to carry locals in the future anyway. The thought of $5 for ABC? That is crazy.
Sling carries NBC and FOX in the markets where the network owns the station. If you live in a market where its a O&O and have Sling Blue (or Blue+Orange) you get NBC, FOX or both. Minneapolis get FOX but not NBC. NBC has 11 O&O and FOX has 18. ABC has 8
ABC being added in the O&O I'm pretty sure was part of the last dispute between Dish/Sling and Disney