Sling Catcher w/922

Lord_Vader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Richmond, VA
Has anyone seen any additional information on the sling catcher ( or whatever its called ) ? I'm wondering if it will have any monthly fees.

Also, is the 922 stable now? I was thinking about getting a 922 with the OTA module and a catcher or two sometime later on ( when the catcher is available ), but I don't want to do it if there will be fees out the wahoo for it. I would be trading in two Vip 722 DVRs.

The Sling Receiver is not out yet but will be within the next few months. :)

The old "Sling Catcher" does not work with the 922.

Personally I think your better off with a 722k and a Sling Adaper then a 922, why pay $4 more a month for less features?

I haven't heard for sure, but I bet you can only use one sling receiver at once. I'm making this assumption based on the fact that you can't sling on your phone and laptop at the same time, even if you didn't care if you were watching the same program on each.

@Scott. Is there a direct upgrade from 722 to 722k? I thought they were both considered "duo-somethings" and you couldn't specify?

@Dustin Thanks, that should be fine. I either watch TV in the bedroom or the loft which is where the slings would be. I was thinking a 722k/922 w/OTA in the family room and then sling to the other two locations.

There is no direct upgrade from 722 to 722k that I know of.

I know they are working on things so you can upgrade from a 622 to a 722/722k. But that changeover is not complete yet.

Has anyone used the sling receiver lately? Does it buffer a flash encoded version like the dish.sling.com website - so when I press skip, I have to wait for it to buffer and catch up

or is more like watching the video on the DVR.

It's one thing to see errors on a website that I didn't pay to access, but it's another thing to pay money for a sling receiver and get a "no video signal" because I pressed skip forward and back several times.

Personally I think your better off with a 722k and a Sling Adaper then a 922, why pay $4 more a month for less features?

Thank you Scott for posting the same conclusion that I came to last November. I have had the 722k , the 922 and now the 722k once again + the sling adapter. I think the extra $4.00 fee is ridiculous ,since you can do everything with the 722k +sling adapter, that you can do with the 922,if not more. At one time the 922 would of had the built in web browser (like the google revue unit), I would of said that the $4.00 fee was justified. But alas that was another promised feature deleted. I can't wait for the sling extender so we can finally get hd tv 2 in the other room. Then I can drop the extra monthly additional receiver fee for $7.00, once it makes it to market.

Then I can drop the extra monthly additional receiver fee for $7.00, once it makes it to market.

Actually, that's what worries me. Given Dish's modus operandi, I think they will lease the sling receiver as an actual receiver. At a minimum, I think there will be some sort of monthly fee for it. And having a monthly fee will remove any appeal of buying / renting it for me.

Actually, that's what worries me. Given Dish's modus operandi, I think they will lease the sling receiver as an actual receiver. At a minimum, I think there will be some sort of monthly fee for it. And having a monthly fee will remove any appeal of buying / renting it for me.

I felt the same way about that, except Scott said on the last retailer chat that DISH said there would be NO monthly fee with the sling extender. My guess is that if there is NO monthly fee ,the unit itself will cost a lot of money ,making it out of reach for most subs who want one. IF that is the case, I will keep my 211k + external hard drive instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts