slingbox- Comcast to Directv customer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I gotta tell ya, I have DirecTV and love it. I also have a SlingBox Pro HD. You will love having DirecTV with SlingBox.

Now with an Android SlingPlayer app, I can watch my DirecTV anywhere I go right on my phone. I can also watch it on my laptop.

Now, to kinda get on your topic...

Some time ago Sling made a device called a SlingCatcher. This is a set top box much like a reciever that connects right to your TV. It connects to your SlingBox and gives you complete control as if you you had a Comcast box hooked up to that TV. If you check out eBay you may be able to find one.

Remember these facts and you'll be all set.

1. Your SlingBox needs internet access to "slling" your programming.
2. Your SlingCatcher/PC/Mobile Phone need intenet access to receive the content being "slinged".
3. It would be adviseable to have them keep a dedicated Comcast reciever hooked up to to the SlingBox so that they, arent affected by what is being "slinged".

This is 100% legal. In theory someone could have Comcast or whatever other provider in their home, have a dedicated Comcast receiver hooked up to the SlingBox, then someone across the street or country could have SlingCatcher and watch programming from that Comcast box. There is no monthly fee for the Sling service but, there may be a extra cost from Comcast for an extra receiver in their home.

Last edited:
Dont buy the slingcatcher people on ebay are trying to get 500 dollars. I would just buy a
PC Acer1600 for around 150-200 bucks and you have much more.

Dont buy the slingcatcher people on ebay are trying to get 500 dollars. I would just buy a

Really?!? Are they going for that much? I got mine when they came out for $150 and think it is a damn good device. I honestly don't know what Sling was thinking when they stopped making it.

It is so cool that I can take this one device and remote with me where ever I go (hotel) and have my DirecTV.

Only downside to it is that there is no wifi and is eithernet only. But that is easily fixed with a wireless access point to connect to the hotel's free wifi and feed my SlingCatcher. :p

I know I think it is a great Idea sling your desktop and connect to any slingbox. But for some reason they stop making them and everybody is trying to get one. I could have bought for 250 said no and now they are 500

Thank you everyone, anyway, for taking the time to reply to me, a complete stranger.
You've been more than helpful and I appreciate it very much! :)

Still going to look into bundling my comcast phone/internet w/ their "Limited Basic" package (which DOES carry CSN!) I emailed them and posted on their Cust Serv forum to request pricing. So that's a good Plan B!

Well you are now a member and we try to help. So like some have said, welcome:up

Stick around, and talk to your parents about that net access!!!!!

Sadly, Sling Media did discontinue the Slingcatcher about 6 months ago. I have 2 and love them. I have used them for personal and profesional reasons. Sling (Echostar) never really got behind the slingcatcher it was a product designed before they purchased the company and they never seemed to really want to support it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)