slingbox ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
earth
how much content can one rercord onto the hd?
how big is the hd in the slingbox?
is the hd of the slingbox user upgradeable?

There is not hard drive in the slingbox, The slingbox is a box which hooks up to your cable TV line or Satellite Receiver and allows you to view and control you home satellite receiver over the Internet.

You have full control and get great video via the internet.

I have a Singbox and I love it, no matter where I am I can log in and view television from home, I can watch my DVR'ed recordings and I can flip the inputs and enjoy cabletv and satellite over the Internet.

Now with the new software which came out today you can not only watch on the Internet but you can also watch on your cell phone or PDA, again you have full control over your cable or satellite receiver and can watch TV anywhere. :)

Scott-

How do you switch inputs to the slingbox so you get multiple inputs?

I have mine connected to my dish rcvr, but would love to switch between my dish and bev systems.

I have my DVR hooked up via the AV inputs.

I have my cable TV hooked up to the COAX.

From the software you select which input you want to use, and its that easy. :)

The device is not intended for recording. It simply streams content on the internet. There is no method for recording the streamed content.

so hook it up to my tivo or replaytv i then can watch shows on those dvr's via the web or cell phone, but i cant rewind or fast forward when watching recorded show via the web.

Sure you can, you have a remote that appears on the screen and you can do everything you can when your sitting at home with your regular remote. :)

Fast Forward, Rewind, even play the Interactive games and stuff like that. :D

im must say im very impressed with the preview that mikew gave me thanks.
scott, you said you can hookup 2 feeds so i could hookup starchoice via coax and dtv via rca cables, is this correct.
i just ordred mine from dell small business with ethernet adapters for 310 and some change
thanks guys cant wait to have a slingbox

ordered Slingbox plus SlingLink Powerline Ethernet Adapter from dell small business for 310.20 i thought is was a descent deal.

hey scott if sling box hooked into dish dual tuner dvr can i watch tv1 well streaming tv2
or on a dtv tivo could i watch a baseball game while streaming a hockey game on other tuner

Nope no static IP needed, the Slingbox uses what is called a slingfinder id. This id is echoed to a main Sling server every so often so when you want to watch it knows where to find your home computer. :)

Also, what Scott didn't tell you is that while the technique sounds like you need a MSCSE degree to set it up, fact is the setup with your router is pretty much automatic. Only thing you'll need to do is tell it what common name you want to call your slingbox location pluss select two passwords. The it assigns your slingfinder id which is a hugely long alphanumeric number. The first time setup takes a little longer and after that, installing the players on computers is quick and easy. The main limitation is that since the sling box is controlling your DVR or other video source via an IR blaster attached to the IR input on your video source, it can only be controlled by one location at a time. Once a player logs in, no one else may also watch at an other location.
The cabling is easy as it uses analog video connects and audio. Then you have a dual IR blaster wire with two sensors. Attach one to each of your video sources and then connect your ethernet cable to the router. Now install softwares.
If you buy stock slingbox off the store shelf you will probably need to download the latest version of firmware and player software after configuration with the included software. That doesn't take long either. I was watching my PDA cellphone all afternoon here via my wifi. Worked flawlessly! One other thing, you must have your receiver ise an active analog video connect as the sling box only accepts AV or RF coax on VHF channel. The use of HDTV signals is not used. However, if you have an HDTV receiver and set it to output AV or RF coax,in downres then what you will see on a HDTV channel will be a widescreen slingbox program in the proper AR.

Think about it this way, even though you are not able to record the content that you view, your current Tivo/DVR can (if you have one) so this makes it simpler. You would not have to buy any additional software or figure out how to use it, just play everything at your house while your on the road as you did before. Makes it cheaper and simpler that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts