Slingcatcher finally released !

I will be doing an interview tonight with the folks from Sling and will be talking about the new Slingbox Pro HD and the new Slingcatcher which will air on our next Podcast.

The Slingcatcher is an amazing piece of technology that does more then display your slingbox on a TV. I will have him explain some of its features.

Im sick of having all of these devices and NONE of them play everything from everything. PS3, Linkplayer2,HR20, PC etc. Sure would be nice if this thing is as good as advertised.

I will be doing an interview tonight with the folks from Sling and will be talking about the new Slingbox Pro HD and the new Slingcatcher which will air on our next Podcast.

The Slingcatcher is an amazing piece of technology that does more then display your slingbox on a TV. I will have him explain some of its features.

Scott did you set up your Pro HD yet. I set mine up today but the "remote" for the Slingplayer is a regular Dish remote, not the 622 DVR type remote. There's no DVR buttons so I can't watch my recordings.

Ok I've been watching this with some interest. See... my wife has asked if we can have whole house video. I've been looking for a rather inexpensive way to do this. Slingbox, while not inexpensive units, appear to be very well thought out, but here's my question:

If I have 2 satellite receivers, and I want to be able to watch programming from receiver #1 on the TV connected to receiver #2, AND vice versa, using Slingbox, I'd need a Slingbox Pro HD at EACH receiver as well as a Sling Catcher at each.

Is that correct? If so we'd be looking at $600 per TV and I'm not so sure this is something we'd want to do.

Right now I think the EHD and "sneaker net" ... taking the hard drive from one room to another.... is the only real solution unless I want to drop a TON of coin on this... which I don't have right now. :)

Slingbox DOES look like something I may get for ONE TV. Put the Slingbox Pro HD on our main TV and keep the Slingcatcher portable. Then we could take it into the exercise room or craft area in the basement or outside on the screenporch or just set up a second room viewing the same thing as on the living room TV ... like for football games or other kinds of family get togethers where some TV is mutually desired. :)

Am I getting the idea? I really wouldn't make use of the ability to stream to remote locations away from the house. At least I don't THINK I would. But then... I never thought I'd get a lot of use out of an ice maker in the refrigerator either. And now I wouldn't buy a fridge without one. Anyone still use ice cube trays?

I love my slingcatcher. I hope they get new firmware shortly to handle the ProHD HD signals. Currently the slingcatcher downconverts to SD.

FYI I returned the Slingcatcher and ProHD. I found the video quality unwatchable on my remote TV at work. Quality was okay on a computer screen but horrible on TV.

cparker, what type of wire do you have at the 2 TV's you want to feed? Are you wanting to send HD feeds to them?

AJF, I currently have 2 cat5 and 2 RG6quad at each TV location. I'm blessed with easy basement access though so I could add a cable or 2 still. This is a small, 1400 square foot ranch. I'm not going to spend a ton on this. I *really* don't want to go back to cable, but with cable I could do this with a couple of $299 TiVo HD units. This is one of those things where.... if D* does it first I'd probably switch from E* to D*. If E* does it first, then woo-hoo!. :)

With external hard drive capability I don't see why this is such an issue. If it's still tied to a specific account, then satisfying DRM requirements seems like it should be trivial. If I have 2 HD TVs, then I don't *want* to watch a program recorded in HD, in downrezzed SD, on an HD TV.... this feature would make satellite systems VERY attractive to a lot of people I would think.

cparker,

Post your question in the Dish Network forum. I think you should be able to do this without a Slingbox, and without it costing a fortune.

Basically, I think that you could use the HDMI output at the local TV's and then send the component outputs to the other TV's, and then just switch inputs (with the remote) depending on which receiver you want to watch. I know there are ways to send HD signals over Cat5, but they may be a bit expensive. But, if you can run more wire, that would cost much less. The only other issue is that you may need to use 2 remotes at each TV; 1 for each receiver.

FYI I returned the Slingcatcher and ProHD. I found the video quality unwatchable on my remote TV at work. Quality was okay on a computer screen but horrible on TV.

cparker, what type of wire do you have at the 2 TV's you want to feed? Are you wanting to send HD feeds to them?

I know what you're saying I went out Friday night and bought a Slingbox Pro HD & a Sling Catcher and as long as I'm watching the Slingbox on my Computer It fine but the Slingcatcher via HDMI is terrible. I'm a BB Silver Reward zone member So I have 45 days to return it but I'm still not sure If i'll keep it or not. Also i have some WMV's that it won't Play and some that it will. It also needs to support playing stuff off of my Computer through the network vs from a Flash or External HDD.

I'll give it a couple of weeks but this was my attempt at being to watch hd In my bedroom from my 722 in the living room. we'll see????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)