Slingloaded HD DVR922 at CES

If you have a slingbox or 922.

No, even for those with the 622, 612, 722...

I do understand TiVo had many of the functions already and they are also rolling out more new features on this one, but TiVo is not really in the picture here, we are comparing cable and DBS DVR providers using their own DVR gears.

Most people do not care about TiVo or ReplayTV. After the digital transition, most of their old SD standalone DVRs will not even work anymore. I also do not see people rushing out to buy TiVo boxes to beat the digital transition deadline.

The natural choice is to go with cable or DBS and install their own brand of no upfront cost DVRs.

I do understand TiVo had many of the functions already and they are also rolling out more new features on this one, but TiVo is not really in the picture here, we are comparing cable and DBS DVR providers using their own DVR gears.

Most people do not care about TiVo or ReplayTV. After the digital transition, most of their old SD standalone DVRs will not even work anymore. I also do not see people rushing out to buy TiVo boxes to beat the digital transition deadline.

The natural choice is to go with cable or DBS and install their own brand of no upfront cost DVRs.

They'll work fine if they're using them with cable service.

I maybe getting ahead...

One of cons with sling box is if you have many household members(true in my case) then Slingbox hijacks TV and it has been issue for me. Now if sling service are really integrated and if it can utilize TUNER 2 for remote viewing and not disturbing TV 1 view, then this product stands out as "Holy Grail" of DVR, and I think it may cause pose serious challenges for TIVO if they start selling it......dreaming of this make me droooooollll

They showed it on G4 live today and raved on it
They said extra 200 bucks no extra sling like fees and avail in a few months if I heard the guy correct
Using the power supply for the sling is also nice for those that don't have a LAN cable in their LR/bedroom
That's a lot of hardware in one box

This is when i skip the 722 and go right to the 922. I was 'this' close to buying an HD sling to replace my SD version but now no reason to waste the $$
Just wait I suppose and it will come to me all in one box

They kinda said the Wii users would get the deal with the new remote

I maybe getting ahead...

One of cons with sling box is if you have many household members(true in my case) then Slingbox hijacks TV and it has been issue for me. Now if sling service are really integrated and if it can utilize TUNER 2 for remote viewing and not disturbing TV 1 view, then this product stands out as "Holy Grail" of DVR, and I think it may cause pose serious challenges for TIVO if they start selling it......dreaming of this make me droooooollll

I think that's how it works. Plus, if you are slinging a DVR program, it effects neither tuner!

OK, here are my questions. Will I be able to watch ABC HD in one room and Fox HD in a

OK, here are my questions.
Will I be able to watch ABC HD in one room and Fox HD in another?
How many HD tuners will this have?

I want one regardless but it would be cool if it didn't need the OTA to record three HD channels at once. My OTA reception sucks. And while I only have 1 HD TV I fully hope to have one in my Bed Room one of these days, so watching two different HD channels in two different rooms would be great. We don't always watch the same shows, she'll watch CSI in the bedroom while I'll watch Prison Break in the living room.

I'm not at all trying to make an argument for TiVo. If I thought TiVo was still the best solution, I'd still have mine. As it is, I'm very happy w/ my ViP 722. And before that I spent a couple years using the Cox HD DVR (I don't know that I'll go so far as to say I was happy with it. ;))

I was simply noting the humor I found in the presentation of this as a new concept when it's not. It's not even a relatively new concept.

Maybe I missed something but did anyone see the following which was embedded in Charlie's statement at CES regarding the 922?

"EchoStar will also look to sell its Sling-enabled products, like its new HD DVR, to Dish’s rivals, namely cable operators and DirecTV, according to Ergen."

Maybe I missed something but did anyone see the following which was embedded in Charlie's statement at CES regarding the 922?

"EchoStar will also look to sell its Sling-enabled products, like its new HD DVR, to Dish’s rivals, namely cable operators and DirecTV, according to Ergen."

Yep, that's part of their new business plan. That's why they spun off Dish Network from Echostar. The Echostar hardware division presumably includes their Sling Media acquisition; its product line is no longer exclusive to Dish, which means another revenue stream. If I were an Echostar investor I'd be pretty happy with this.

Here's a thread on this new strategy:

922 for cable/telco providers

As an aside, it allows Charlie to sell Dish Network if he so chooses.

Last edited:
This is the 1st receiver that I've ever been ready to plunk money down for on day one. It has every feature I could realistically hope for at that price point.

This is the 1st receiver that I've ever been ready to plunk money down for on day one. It has every feature I could realistically hope for at that price point.

I just hope existing subs will be allowed one on day one! History has shown us that we probably won't without begging the executive office for an exception.

It does seem to be a really good one but I'm still waiting for a dual HD tuner receiver.

Huh? The ViP622 & ViP722 are both dual HD satellite tuners, with an OTA HD tuner also. Do you mean dual HD output?

Huh? The ViP622 & ViP722 are both dual HD satellite tuners, with an OTA HD tuner also. Do you mean dual HD output?

And both the 722k and this 922 are actually quadruple tuner HD receivers (two sat and two OTA). I"m sure what he meant was dual HD output.

Hmmm .... Dish Network better make sure it gets all the bugs out of this 922 box before they release it to customers. My 722 has had bigtime problems with "audio dropouts". I'm thinking about ditching Dish Network and going with AT&T "U-Verse" since it is coming to my area (Raleigh, NC). :) It sounds very similar to Verizon's FIOS service, which I hear is awesome.

AT&T launches U-verse in N. Carolina and Florida | HD-Report

What else would I mean?

Well what you said was:

It does seem to be a really good one but I'm still waiting for a dual HD tuner receiver.

That is not really what you meant. Because that has existed since the 942 What you meant was that you are waiting for a dual HD output receiver. See where the confusion comes in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts