Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
* New channels - DVR subscribers can now record content on FOX channels, which include FOX local networks, FOX Sports 1 (FS1), Nat Geo and FX.
* New devices - Sling TV customers with Xbox One devices can now schedule, manage and watch DVR recordings. Cloud DVR support will be expanded to Windows 10, AirTV Player and iOS devices in the coming weeks.
* New features - Sling TV added the following highly-requested features:
* Protect - an option that lets customers keep a recording for as long as they are a DVR subscriber.
* DVR Folders - a setting that automatically groups shows from one series into a single folder.
* Record from Franchise - the ability to record a show or series from its franchise screen, so customers can see episodes available on demand and set a recording for new episodes as they come out.

For more information, please visit the Sling TV blog https://whatson.sling.com/announcements/cloud-dvr-channels-devices-features

Reactions: TheKrell
Wait a sec ... so Sling charges for DVR services, but you couldn't even record from every channel? Is that still the case? Or was it only the Fox channels and Nat Geo that were blocked until now?

Wait a sec ... so Sling charges for DVR services, but you couldn't even record from every channel? Is that still the case? Or was it only the Fox channels and Nat Geo that were blocked until now?

Welcome to the future of cloud dvr. Where you can record (sometimes) but you can't skip commercials. Oh, and you can keep your recordings forever, except when they are deleted for other recordings...

Welcome to the future of cloud dvr. Where you can record (sometimes) but you can't skip commercials. Oh, and you can keep your recordings forever, except when they are deleted for other recordings...
I just hope it's not the future of Vue as Sony has to renegotiate its deals with various networks. I can live with Vue's current restrictions and can even tolerate a certain amount of price increase, but I'll go back to $100+ per month for cable before I subscribe to a service that doesn't let me record every channel I'm paying for.

I just hope it's not the future of Vue as Sony has to renegotiate its deals with various networks. I can live with Vue's current restrictions and can even tolerate a certain amount of price increase, but I'll go back to $100+ per month for cable before I subscribe to a service that doesn't let me record every channel I'm paying for.

Maybe do some research as to what shows you MUST have. Then decide if the majority of them are regular tv, maybe you can go with an antenna and Tivo/Tablo, etc type dvr.

As for channels you MUST have that might be "cable only", I submit that most people look at this the wrong way. You don't really want/need the channels, you want the particular SHOW. Today there's more choices all the time in getting that, that's probably cheaper than a "$100+ per month" cable sub.

My wife and I went to Charter/Spectrum local office this past Sunday, turned in their dinosaur dvr, and dumped the tv portion of our double play. We are now using a Tivo and an outside antenna system to get 95% of our programming. Hardly missing anything at all.

We want to see the new "The Mist" series coming out on Spike tv, so what we will do, is wait until they ALL air, then subscribe to an OTT service for a month, and marathon them as they are all then likely to be VOD at that point.

Reactions: Zookster
Maybe do some research as to what shows you MUST have. Then decide if the majority of them are regular tv, maybe you can go with an antenna and Tivo/Tablo, etc type dvr.

As for channels you MUST have that might be "cable only", I submit that most people look at this the wrong way. You don't really want/need the channels, you want the particular SHOW. Today there's more choices all the time in getting that, that's probably cheaper than a "$100+ per month" cable sub.

My wife and I went to Charter/Spectrum local office this past Sunday, turned in their dinosaur dvr, and dumped the tv portion of our double play. We are now using a Tivo and an outside antenna system to get 95% of our programming. Hardly missing anything at all.

We want to see the new "The Mist" series coming out on Spike tv, so what we will do, is wait until they ALL air, then subscribe to an OTT service for a month, and marathon them as they are all then likely to be VOD at that point.

I wouldn't count on every episode of a given show to be available on VOD simultaneously. In my experience as a PS Vue sub for the past year, it's really hit and miss, even for shows on the same network (some shows only give you the last four or five episodes, some give you random episodes, and some all episodes). And my understanding is that it is more a network choice than the OTT service's. With that said, for a show on Spike, your best bet might be the forthcoming OTT service that Viacom is rolling out. Standard Hulu might also carry all episodes.

For me personally, PS Vue currently offers all but one channel (CBS Sports Network) that I really need for $35/mo. I even get two of my locals (NBC and CBS), ABC and Fox content on demand, and my RSNs. AND EVERYTHING I WATCH CAN BE RECORDED ON VUE'S FREE CLOUD DVR.

My biggest change in viewing habits since cutting the cord is waiting for the CW shows I follow to come to Netflix - new seasons are added one week after the current season ends, so not a big deal. I don't want to bother with setting up a rooftop antenna and OTA digital recorder just yet.

Reactions: spencer7779
I wouldn't count on every episode of a given show to be available on VOD simultaneously. In my experience as a PS Vue sub for the past year, it's really hit and miss, even for shows on the same network (some shows only give you the last four or five episodes, some give you random episodes, and some all episodes). And my understanding is that it is more a network choice than the OTT service's. With that said, for a show on Spike, your best bet might be the forthcoming OTT service that Viacom is rolling out. Standard Hulu might also carry all episodes.

For me personally, PS Vue currently offers all but one channel (CBS Sports Network) that I really need for $35/mo. I even get two of my locals (NBC and CBS), ABC and Fox content on demand, and my RSNs. AND EVERYTHING I WATCH CAN BE RECORDED ON VUE'S FREE CLOUD DVR.

My biggest change in viewing habits since cutting the cord is waiting for the CW shows I follow to come to Netflix - new seasons are added one week after the current season ends, so not a big deal. I don't want to bother with setting up a rooftop antenna and OTA digital recorder just yet.

If you can't wait for the CW shows on Netflix. They are available free the next day on the CW app.

If you can't wait for the CW shows on Netflix. They are available free the next day on the CW app.

I was just going to post this, you beat me to it! ALL CW shows are free next day on their app!

But with commercials, last time I checked. I do have the capability to record them with PlayOn and fast-forward commercials that way. But the recordings can often be glitchy, and with Netflix I get the shows in 1080p, DD Plus audio, and I don't have to lift a finger to fast-forward or manage recordings. I don't mind waiting a few months for that. :)

Reactions: spencer7779
But with commercials, last time I checked. I do have the capability to record them with PlayOn and fast-forward commercials that way. But the recordings can often be glitchy, and with Netflix I get the shows in 1080p, DD Plus audio, and I don't have to lift a finger to fast-forward or manage recordings. I don't mind waiting a few months for that. :)

Yeah, sometimes I do the same thing. Watching the last 2 seasons of The 100 now on Netflix.

Reactions: Zookster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts