Slow channel changing on hopper

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
When i channel change it takes about 3 to 4 seconds for the channel to show up. Is this normal? When the hopper first came out last year it was not this slow. Are they ever going to speed back up the hopper? The earlier software updates fixed this issue but then as more hopper updates came out it got worse.

Since the last software update my Hopper has become as slow as Christmas. The Joeys are fine however. It takes the Hopper around five seconds to respond to any button pressed on the remote. IE: If I direct input a channel on the remote (say 205), I have to press 2 and wait around five seconds for it to show up on the screen and then enter the 0 and 5. If I press 205 in sequence as you normally would the hopper will miss the 2 and 0 and attempt to go to channel 5. As said, the Joeys respond immediately. I have tried cold reboots as well as a different remote.

Mine is a regular Hopper. I have had it about a year. I will also add that I am sure its not heat related. I have a laptop cooler under it and the avg HD temp is 109. I have no other issues with the Hopper other than being slow to respond to remote commands.

Since the last software update my Hopper has become as slow as Christmas. The Joeys are fine however. It takes the Hopper around five seconds to respond to any button pressed on the remote. IE: If I direct input a channel on the remote (say 205), I have to press 2 and wait around five seconds for it to show up on the screen and then enter the 0 and 5. If I press 205 in sequence as you normally would the hopper will miss the 2 and 0 and attempt to go to channel 5. As said, the Joeys respond immediately. I have tried cold reboots as well as a different remote.
It takes about 25 seconds for mine to transfer a program to the Joey. What is the rush????????? Perhaps you just want to complain???

Mine is a regular Hopper. I have had it about a year. I will also add that I am sure its not heat related. I have a laptop cooler under it and the avg HD temp is 109. I have no other issues with the Hopper other than being slow to respond to remote commands.

I've read this a few times about the original hopper, something that doesn't seem to be an issue with the newer one with sling but I may be wrong about that.

I've experienced this, too. I thought it slowed down on the software download before last, and slowed even more since the last software download. However, it isn't all the time, just for some period it seems to be slow in changing. Then an hour later, it seems back to normal. Perhaps it is doing stuff in the background? Further, my mom's Joey has been losing contact with the Hopper or just goes BLACK. A reboot fixes it, but this problem seems to have appeared since the last software update. I've seen posts from others about some of the Joeys not as reliable as before.

The original hopper . Channel changing was about instant when it first came out. Then as each software update came out it got worse. It did get better on some updates but it's as slow as the older box I had before the hopper. I talked about it on chat and explained a software update is needed to improve the speed of changing channels . They kept wanting me to check my settings .

The original hopper . Channel changing was about instant when it first came out. Then as each software update came out it got worse. It did get better on some updates but it's as slow as the older box I had before the hopper. I talked about it on chat and explained a software update is needed to improve the speed of changing channels . They kept wanting me to check my settings .

I upgraded to the Hopper almost one year ago and have also noticed the degradation in channel changing response and guide scrolling speed since then...

I have been putting up with slow channel changes since the original Hopper with "upgraded software" and now the Hopper w/Sling and 2 Joeys. It now takes up to 4 seconds per channel change even on local OTA channels. Like many here it never was as fast as when the original Hopper/Joey was first released with initial software in May 2012. Sometime that summer (2012) a software release slowed it all down. Sadly, it has never been as fast since. A major annoyance indeed...

I have been putting up with slow channel changes since the original Hopper with "upgraded software" and now the Hopper w/Sling and 2 Joeys. It now takes up to 4 seconds per channel change even on local OTA channels. Like many here it never was as fast as when the original Hopper/Joey was first released with initial software in May 2012. Sometime that summer (2012) a software release slowed it all down. Sadly, it has never been as fast since. A major annoyance indeed...

Just to put it right, the original Hopper was in March, 2012, not May.....

I've had Hopper since late April 2012 and haven't noticed any slowdowns in channel changing time on either Hopper 2000 or Hopper w/Sling. The only thing I know of that Dish intentionally slowed down was the guide scroll speed.

I too have noticed a slower response to commands by the original Hopper. The slowest is deleting a DVR program on my other HWS. I also have sound problems. I cannot get sound on the programs on my HWS DVR if I am recording on the original Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)