Slow Guide on 722K

I can't say this is a software issue or not. Strange thing is I have one 722k in the den that has never had the slow guide issue, but the one in the bedroom is plagued with it from time to time. I received both 722k's at the same time and were new in the box. The only difference in the two I can think of is the one in the bedroom is seldom used during the day but is on late at night.

Sooo what are your results with L685 software? I bet there won't be much of a difference for very long. It sounds like Arcade's 722K is having some pretty bad grounding issues. The reason it starts to slow down like clockwork is because you are getting a build up of static interference in the box. Has a technician come out to rewire from the antenna to the receiver? If your grounding issue is caused by the cable, you should disconnect the cable from the separator on the back whenever it is having the issue. Connect the cable back see if your still having the issue. Hall's remote issue was cause by IR interference and that's why his UHF remote resolved his issue instantly. Whenever I rewired mine, it is the most responsive piece of equipment ever. Also problem returned whenever I got this glass stand for my LCD, put a piece of cloth to block the IR from the TV reflecting into the DVR, and that worked like a charm. Hope this sheds a little bit of light on the issue.

Wow.
I never thought I would see this thread appear ever again. lol.
My 722k Has been working great ever since L685.
There is no way it was a "grounding issue".
It was software related all the way.
With L683 I was lucky go two days in a row. Now it has been over a month with no trouble at all. :)

If its not a software issue it is usally caused by a rcvr has been overheated. VIP722s are very tempermental to temp spikes. As with thatonce they overheat to a point they tend to start acting up with all the same simtums that you discribed. Most of the time the rcvr will need replaced.

The slow guide issue has reared it's ugly little head again for one of my 722ks. I'm currently transferring stuff to EHD though so I'll report back if it speeds up afterward. I kinda doubt it has anything to do with it though.

Wow, just checked again, guide sped back up. Still transferring to EHD. Here's hoping this means that in the future it will fix itself instead of requiring a soft/hard reset.

I was one of the first here to report that I still had slow guide on 722k even AFTER the L685 update.

glad to see I'm not the only one by now showing that in fact the guide problem is still there. maybe not as bad as before but it does still come and go, sometimes it gets better the next day, sometimes even after hard reboot (power unplug) its still slow.. then goes away just as quickly as it came.

To the "temperature" and "glass" guys.. sorry.. but that's not always the case ... especially since this type of problem happened on my previous 722k which had the cover off all but 2 days of its life, and both it and this one have sat in different places, both places open on all sides (except directly under its feet). Additionally these are in my basement, never going above 80 ambient, and there's a ceiling fan that's on nearly 24/7 with again, no change in behavior (random slowdowns).

Well, This needs to be revisited. My first 722K had a drive that was on its last legs, and apparently, Dish also broke buffered live playback with a bug. My receiver suddenly would only play two minutes of buffered TV and then jump to the live point. Very odd. But the guide always worked flawlessly.

Well, my replacement 722K is suffering from Molasses Guide. Nothing helps except a hard reset, and that does not stick. Both remotes (1&2) are UHF, as my main display interferes with IR all the time, so I have to use UHF there, too. All the other tricks do nothing, including changing remote address. Firmware is L688.

Sigh. This is awful.

Mine too! 772k also suffering from what ever my dog suffers from, gotta call over and over, well, not really because then the guide changes. A hard boot fixed temporary but must be software issue, just recently upgraded t L688! Why do users have to resolve their own issues being felt by most users. Is this a move to get us to upgrade to the newest and bestest DDVR?

yeah.. slow guide seems to come and go.. with no warning or no reasonable guess as to why. I've rebooted and had it not fix the slow guide, then other times I leave it for 24 hours and it speeds itself up sometime after the morning reboot.

And I'm on the most current firmware with my 722k L688.

Its not been as frequent, though the past two days its gotten worse again.

Unfortunately, this problem has came up again. It is a known issue, and will be fixed in a future software release.

In the meantime, resetting the receiver may provide temporary relief from the sluggish response

I have been having this issue the last week or so also. I have tried the menu/menu and nothing. I'm glad that I'm not the only one seeing this issue. I will watch for a software update and see if that fixes it.

For a while I thought it happened every time i went to my recordings, response seemed good and I would hit the dvr button on the remote and guide and channel changes were super slow....now it seems to be random. needs to be addressed as it really sucks to have such a slow machine....

if I wanted a pos receiver I would go with comcast...

don't see why they cant just roll back the firmware to one that works better......

What's interesting to me is that the old 722k had the same FW as this new replacement does, and I never had a slow guide problem, ever. This has got to be maddening for the coders, because it's not uniform across all the samples.

I sure hope they fix it, though, because this is dang annoying. And like someone else said- because of the lag, I can get fooled into thinking that I didn't actually press the guide button, and then we get into the alternative guide, and then we have to (wait) and cycle.

On an tertiary note, probably for another thread: Choosing channels for various guide lists is unbelievably tedious. I'd like to see two features. One is that a "sub guide" inherits all the properties of the parent guide, but then allows for further customization. The second feature would be a "not this channel" function. I can't tell you how many times I have no idea what a channel might be, check the box, save the list, get out, go to the guide, discover it's yet another useless shopping channel, write the channel number down, go back to the list, uncheck the box... Guh.

How about a function where when you are watching a channel (or are in the guide and can highlight it), you can press a button for ERASE. It would be so much easier. Not this, not this, not this...

Would anyone else like a function like this?

I suspect there are actually conditions that cause the slow guide. We, as users, would have a one in a million chance of stumbling across those though. The engineering/development group, on the other hand, could look for support calls on this issue and potentially pull 'data' from the affected receivers and narrow things down...

How about a function where when you are watching a channel (or are in the guide and can highlight it), you can press a button for ERASE. It would be so much easier. Not this, not this, not this...

Would anyone else like a function like this?

I suspect there are actually conditions that cause the slow guide. We, as users, would have a one in a million chance of stumbling across those though. The engineering/development group, on the other hand, could look for support calls on this issue and potentially pull 'data' from the affected receivers and narrow things down...

Both of you .. STOP IT.. you're thinking too much:eek:.. Dish would melt like butter in the sun if they'd ever get a real trouble tracking system in place.. something they could TREND something that could handle getting direct posts from customers ... feature requests ... wow.. what dish COULD do ... if only they'd realize they work for the customer, their customers pay their salaries, their customers are what keep their business going ... and we happen to be their customers.

This is seriously the worst this has ever been. I LOVE Dish, but I am on my third reboot tonight.

Seriously thinking about cancelling. It is also complicated by the fact that I have to reboot between recordings.

How the ???? does a bug this big go out in a release. Dish, you ?????? up on this one. Whoever wrote that piece of code should be terminated.

Sorry for the harshness, but this has destroyed what (in my opinion) has been the best receiver in Dish Network history.

Just remember its not happening to everyone .. and its not all the time to all persons that experience the slowdown.

Mine got better today. The only difference from *my* side is that it rebooted during its normal update check in the morning.

It's almost like a memory leak... Consuming resources until a slowdown. Then, if you do the right thing, it clears the junk. I watched 2 DVR events and it sped back up. Interesting.

I *really* wish Dish would let SatGuys beta, so we could find this stuff. I would be happy to release all my privacy in regards to viewing, etc... to help them fix this. I don't care if they know everything I do with the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)