Slow Internet

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
Cablevision has been out three times. They have replaced the cable from the pole to the house and all of the cable in the home. It is so slow during the evening the INTERNET is not accessible. It takes forever to load a page. Cablevison calls it "packet loss." Late at night and early in the A.M. are the only times I can get onto the INTERNET. I have basically been unable to access the INTERNET from about 5PM to 12AM for about three weeks now. I am beginning to think they have too many customers on the INTERNET at that time in my area and that the "packet loss" is an excuse.

Cablevision is coming out again tomorrow. If the can't fix it, I am going to switch to Fios. I am scheduled for a Fios install on January 29th. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference to Cablevision that I am about to drop them.

I live in Monmouth County New Jersey.

Cablevision has been out three times. They have replaced the cable from the pole to the house and all of the cable in the home. It is so slow during the evening the INTERNET is not accessible. It takes forever to load a page. Cablevison calls it "packet loss." Late at night and early in the A.M. are the only times I can get onto the INTERNET. I have basically been unable to access the INTERNET from about 5PM to 12AM for about three weeks now. I am beginning to think they have too many customers on the INTERNET at that time in my area and that the "packet loss" is an excuse.

Cablevision is coming out again tomorrow. If the can't fix it, I am going to switch to Fios. I am scheduled for a Fios install on January 29th. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference to Cablevision that I am about to drop them.

I live in Monmouth County New Jersey.

You are correct, it does not matter to CV.
Enjoy FIOS, because they are the only provider immune to technical issues :rolleyes:

Cablevision came by today with a field supervisor and three technicians. They spent three hours here. They replaced the modem and did some more line work. The customer next door had two lines to his home. This created a problem because the box on the pole only has room for four nodes. Therefore a splitter was put up on the pole for his extra line which should not have been done. They removed the extra line which the neighbor said he wasn't using. Each pole is configured for four homes with one line to each pole.

However the "packet loss" continued. They first ruled out that it was my computer by placing a laptop into a "dry line" that led directly to the pole Boost increases the speed up to 30 Mbps. Then they found that the packed lose was in the "Boost" spectrum. I have "Boost", its a separate frequency that allows speeds up to 30 Mbps . Someone is probably using illegal or faulty equipment that is drawing from that frequency. They are going to go to a place in my development where all of the coax from the homes merge with fiber optics. From there they are going to locate where they lose is occurring. They said it may take several days. The supervisor is going to give me a call on Tuesday (Today is Saturday).

I still have twelve days before the Verizon install. I also have DishNetwork and three high definition DVR's with two attached to external hard drives.

Last edited:
FYI, the problem is system wide for people with boost services, they are working on it at the headends, and it "should" be fixed in 2-3 weeks.

FYI, the problem is system wide for people with boost services, they are working on it at the headends, and it "should" be fixed in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you for this information. The supervisor that accompanied the technicians is going to call me on Tuesday , January 20th. I would like to bring this up with him. Is there anything I can offer to substantiate this information. I would also like to know if there was a way to determining that it was a "Boost" problem prior to all of these visits. Isn't there some way there system could have diagnosed the problem?

Fortunately this is the second time this afternoon I have had speeds great enough to surf the INTERNET. I am not sure I can last three weeks with limited access to the INTERNET.

I am facing a dilemma; triple play with Verizon or Cablevision. I have DishNetwork in additions to Cablevision and Verizon for telephone service. I have the everthing pack plus GoldHD with PlatinumHD and two leased HD DVR's. I have the Family Pack with Cablevision and one HD DVR. As stated on my previous posts, I have Boost.

I want to cut costs and I am looking to go triple play with either Cablevison or Verizon. I am leaning to Fios. My thinking is if I decided on the triple play with Verizon (Fios), I may eventually drop DishNetwork as well if the Fios DVR's get the ability to add external hard drives.

About three weeks ago I, scheduled an install of Fios on 1/29/09. Someone had come door to door selling Fios and I decided a month would be enough time to make the decision. It will come with 20/5 Mbps. When Boost is working with Cablevision, I would be getting better download speeds.

I have all of five of my televisions connected to Cablevision and DishNetwork. Two of them are high definition. None of the televisions have QUAM tuners. At present if there is rain faid, I can switch to Cable. If I have Fios, I will only be able to do that with the television that has the Fios high definition DVR. I must pay extra to have boxes on the other television.

I compared prices by having Verizion and Cablevision break down prices for the triple play. Cablevision will be about forty dollars cheaper the first year. After that the two services come within ten dollars of one another.

From searching the INTERNET, it seems the consensus is that Fios has better quality high definition. Fios may have a lead in reliability. It also seems to have the lead in tech help. Billing has been problematic with Verizon.

Verizon does not seem to be getting a big foothold in the Cablevision areas. I am wondering why this is the case.

Is Cablevision doing anything in the near future to improve there services? I noticed that Cablevision has free Wi-Fi. I have a smart phone and that may help when it comes to my area in New Jersey.

As an ex-Cablevision customer who switched to FIOS, I do not ever regret making the switch. When I was with Cablevision, I was lucky to get download speeds of 6-8 Mbs, so that's literally half of their advertised speed (I was on the 15/2 plan). With FIOS it is rare when I don't get the full 20 Mbs.

With Cablevision, I would lose either my internet or TV services every few weeks. I've had FIOS for over 2 years and haven't had a single outage in that time. Throw in the pixelation issues and antiquated guide from CV, the switch was a no brainer.

Verizon does not seem to be getting a big foothold in the Cablevision areas. I am wondering why this is the case.

I think they are making a nice dent into CV's subscriber base. I've been getting more and more "FIOS not living up to the hype" mailings from CV over the past year. And they now have door to door sales people trying to get their old customers back.

You can trying calling Verizon back and get them to throw something in for free. It may get you a lower monthly bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts