Sluggish 722k menus fixed

Arcade

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Beaumont, TX.
Just got my 722k installed yesterday. Upgraded from a 622.
After the tech left I started playing around with the menu screen.
I noticed it was much slower than my old 622 and that sometimes it would even skip button presses altogether.
After searching around on the forums for awhile I found a tip to change the IR remote address.
I found out that my old 622 was set to address 1 and my 722 was set to 2.
Now that I have the 722 remote address set to 1, all is great again.

Here is a copy and paste of the directions in case anybody else is having this problem:

-Press and hold the SAT button untill the lights at the top of the remote all light up red.
-Enter in any number from 1 to 16
-Press the # button
-The SAT button should flash 3 times
-Press the record button, this should change the remote address on the screen
Done and now cancel out of the menu.

Just got my 722k installed yesterday. Upgraded from a 622.
After the tech left I started playing around with the menu screen.
I noticed it was much slower than my old 622 and that sometimes it would even skip button presses altogether.
After searching around on the forums for awhile I found a tip to change the IR remote address.
I found out that my old 622 was set to address 1 and my 722 was set to 2.
Now that I have the 722 remote address set to 1, all is great again.

Here is a copy and paste of the directions in case anybody else is having this problem:

-Press and hold the SAT button untill the lights at the top of the remote all light up red.
-Enter in any number from 1 to 16
-Press the # button
-The SAT button should flash 3 times
-Press the record button, this should change the remote address on the screen
Done and now cancel out of the menu.

This actually fixed your sluggish guide for good? Seems simple enough if so.

Hey Mike. :wave
It has only been a day so far but no problems as of yet.
I will post again if it ever slows down again, but I have a feeling it is fixed for good.
I tried all the other tricks like pressing menu twice and cancel twice and even the one where you navigate to the "Counter" screen. Nothing worked.
However this fix was instant and I have yet to have a slowdown of any kind.
See you over at AVS. :)

Hey Mike. :wave
It has only been a day so far but no problems as of yet.
I will post again if it ever slows down again, but I have a feeling it is fixed for good.
I tried all the other tricks like pressing menu twice and cancel twice and even the one where you navigate to the "Counter" screen. Nothing worked.
However this fix was instant and I have yet to have a slowdown of any kind.
See you over at AVS. :)

Cool Arcade. See you there.

Well, that's not what fixed it.

When the 722k is first installed the processor is very busy for the first 24 hours, getting the program guide set up, on demand recordings, and other things. When it gets caught up it's fine. Set your remote back to 2 and there will be no slowdown.

That may be the case. But it is very strange that it fixed the problem immediately.
It would be a huge coincidence that it just happened to finish a download at the exact same time.
Everything is working great and lightning fast now.
I have no desire to set it back to 2.

Is 2 the factory set up? I have to replace my 722 this week and switched my remote code a while ago for a similar problem.

Well it only lasted a day.
The menu system is right back to being slow as ever. Arrrghhhh!!!
Thought I had this thing licked.
Dish has got to come up with a fix for this problem.
Sometimes when I hit the "Guide Button" I wonder if it took the button push at all.
It takes forever for the menu to even pop up.
Then when scrolling through the menu it stutters all over the place.
Starting to miss my old 622 a bit.

This was introduced in the latest software update a few months back, when the added the new menu for dish vods . Hopefully the new update will come along to fix this.

I hope it does get fixed.
Sometimes it is so slow I wonder if I even pushed the button on the remote, Then the screen will suddenly move many seconds later.

No offense taken.
It was just odd that the effect was so immediate and the menu system worked like a champ for an entire day.
I will just sit back and wait for Dish to send out an update now. (Drumming fingers)

To be honest, maybe last week for a few days, mine was acting real sluggish from remote commands. I thought it was the batteries running low (hadn't seen the 'low battery' warning myself but others may have gotten it). Of course, when I put in what I thought were new batteries, they were dead batteries (the kids seem to think dead batteries go back in the drawer !!!!). A few days later, either my wife found good batteries and replaced them or the issue fixed itself. I did not receive a s/w update during that time.

Just an observation: I replaced my 722 yesterday and menus were lighting fast all day, this morning after VOD etc.. were downloaded overnight, they were very slow for awhile, but have been OK since. I am going to leave the VOD banner that is in the guide on for a for awhile, just to see if turning it off may cause this. I know it is a long shot.......

Received another VOD last night it was in the regular guide grid, ch 501, but when I hit the VOD button on the remote it wasn't there, and the menu got very sluggish and locked up. I had to do a reset and all was well. I wonder if this sluggish response problem is when a process is trying to run and "paint" or populate graphics in this area, after the reboot the titles are there and all is well.... just a thought...

How do you turn off the VOD banners.
I use a "Favorites List" all the time so I never see the banner.
But if I ever go to "All Channels" I would like the banner to be gone anyway, it is just annoying

Also, almost every morning I get the "Hold 0" button to enter system wizard screen.
What is causing this?

But on a good note I just noticed yesterday that the 722k sends the OTA channels out to the second TV in the bedroom. The 622 did not do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)