Small Asteroid Hits Earth

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So small we probably wouldn't have done anything about it even if we detected it long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Interesting.
I wonder what would happen if one day a big one is detected on collision course with the planet (something potentially lethal), will the authorities warn the population ?, would that cause panic and chaos, or would the elite powers just head to a safe underground place (designed for only a few chosen ones) ?.... letting the general population to suffer.
Sounds like I´ve seen it in a movie or two.

A large global killer asteroid would certainly catch the attention of amateur astronomers around the world, almost impossible to keep it a secret. I personally would like to know beforehand so as to get a front row seat with a few specialty cocktails.

The other global killer simmering out west from me is the Yellowstone Caldera super volcano, which sure would be great final show as well. Each of these events will happen, probably not in our lifetime though.

Interesting.
I wonder what would happen if one day a big one is detected on collision course with the planet (something potentially lethal), will the authorities warn the population ?, would that cause panic and chaos, or would the elite powers just head to a safe underground place (designed for only a few chosen ones) ?.... letting the general population to suffer.

They'll send up Bruce Willis to deal with it. Oh wait... Nevermind, we have no more operational space shuttles.

Interesting.
I wonder what would happen if one day a big one is detected on collision course with the planet (something potentially lethal), will the authorities warn the population ?

Not until they have to.

, would that cause panic and chaos,

Ya think? People go out to "settle scores" over much less.

or would the elite powers just head to a safe underground place (designed for only a few chosen ones) ?.... letting the general population to suffer.

You're describing CoG: Continuity of Government. Several safe holes. None of which will last indefinitely. Also, Emergency Operations Centers/Emergency Command Posts. Used for general emergencies, not just war or end of the world scenarios. LOTS of info on this on Wiki.

Asteroid Apophis - 2029, 2036

Thanks FaT Air, for asteroid 2012 DA14 info. I will be purchasing a few boxes of MRE's just in case. In 2029 and 2036 I will be too old to care, but asteroid Apophis will also be an impact candidate.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis

I hope they have new and interesting MRE menus by then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)