Small lines at top and bottom of the screen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rmitche12

Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Alabama
On my TV in the den (1080p) I have it set to native and the resolutions all the way up to 1080p. On the TV in the bedroom(720p) I have it set on native and resolution up to 720p.

Now if I am watching a show in the bedroom sometimes it will have the grey/silver lines(not bars) at the top and bottom. If I got watch that show on my den(1080p) TV, the lines aren't there.

Is my 1080p TV stretching the picture even though it is on native mode?

These are the small lines that come up sometimes when the image doesn't exactly fit correctly.

I am confused on why it is doing this.

TIA

It may be that one of your TVs has overscan while the other does not. Google overscan.

On my TV in the den (1080p) I have it set to native and the resolutions all the way up to 1080p. On the TV in the bedroom(720p) I have it set on native and resolution up to 720p.

Now if I am watching a show in the bedroom sometimes it will have the grey/silver lines(not bars) at the top and bottom. If I got watch that show on my den(1080p) TV, the lines aren't there.

Is my 1080p TV stretching the picture even though it is on native mode?

These are the small lines that come up sometimes when the image doesn't exactly fit correctly.

I am confused on why it is doing this.

TIA

Is this in all channels or SD programming? I see it on my bedroom tv when a program is broadcasted in SD.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App on my iPhone 5!

It is on HD broadcasting. I have them both set to screen fit/ native on through the TV which prevents stretching and shows the image in it's true form. I wasn't aware that LCD TV's could do over scanning. The 720p TV is the ones with the lines. I am worried the 1080p tv is stretching the image even though the Direct TV box and TV itself are set not to.

Oh, LCDs most certainly CAN do overscan. The question is, "Can you DISABLE overscan?" There are several ways to check for overscan. The best would be to purchase a calibration disc (~$30). You could also try to hook up a computer to the display, and see if your cursor goes off the edge of the screen. Or, you could try to find a channel that you know has a line of garbage on the top of the picture (some SD channels). Sometimes you can confirm that there is a line of garbage by pulling up the guide, and looking at the little channel window that is still playing. If you see the line on that little preview, then you know it's being broadcast that way. You SHOULD see the garbage line on the top when you go full screen. If you don't, you've got overscan issues.

Just to be clear: overscan is bad. It hurts the picture quality on EVERYTHING YOU WATCH.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)