Smart Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think of lots of answers, but the real one was that it wasn't a priority.

Back in the late '80s we were coming off the last gas crisis. Those Metros were a reaction to that. Just when they started getting good at it, gas got cheap again, and the public started asking for big SUVs. You couldn't give a metro away. Where are they going to spend their engineering resources?

As for little cars today, the issue is weight, not size. Modern little cars have a/c, power everything, plush upholstery, etc. It all adds weight, so a little car comes in at 3500 pounds instead of 2200 for a metro or crx.

ZENN makes NEVs. Neighborhood Electric Vehicles. By law, top speed is 25 mph. Also by law, they cannot travel on a hwy with a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph. If they exceed these limits, they have to meet all the normal safety & other regs. As NEVs, they are cut some slack.

I dearly wanted to buy one, and there's a dealer a few miles away. But the commute both my wife and I must take requires driving on roads with 45 mph speed limits. No way around it.

I'd get a Segway for my wife to use, but that could be somewhat risky when crossing a couple of fairly major highways, plus draw unwanted attention.

I also almost bought a scooter- but let's just say that didn't work out.

There are reports of people getting 50+ mph out of Smart Cars. But I'm sure that's not in around town driving, and not a match for what the Metro got.

In the days of the Metro, I think they had less stringent EPA regs. And it is my understanding that today's EPA regs are what's keeping the high mpg diesels from Europe from being imported here. That said, surely our technology today can work around this.

But I certainly agree about priorities.

Be warned that if you look to buy one used that people are selling them higher than the msrp and the dealers, theres a person near me that has the 2008 in red and black and has it up for $21k while it goes for $5k less at the dealer.

And it is my understanding that today's EPA regs are what's keeping the high mpg diesels from Europe from being imported here. That said, surely our technology today can work around this.

But I certainly agree about priorities.

My understanding is that American refineries have not invested in the technology for ultra low sulpher levels in Diesel fuel and that the high sulpher will foul up the diesel catalytic converter. So it is the available fuel and not emmissions or car manufacturers that are keeping them out.

Naw, the ULS diesel was phased in a few months ago, by federal law. All 2007 & later road vehicles must use ULS only. Older diesels can safely use the ULS. It's now posted on the pumps. Some of the old LS stuff might be around for farm equipment. I recall reading something about the old "standard" diesel (high sulphur) is still around. Maybe it's for marine use. High lubricity, I'll bet.

Its around for farm but is it the same blend thats used for offroad that Im seeing some country gas stations carrying now?

UPDATE: From this story I get:
"The federal EPA rates the new turbo-diesel 2009 Jetta TDI at 30 miles per gallon in the city and 41 mpg on the highway, for a combined rating of just 34 mpg.

The automaker had been boasting of 60 mpg highway fuel economy for the new 50-state clean diesel Jetta, which goes on sale in late August."

So it looks like the diesel Jetta is not a contender. Given the now higher price of diesel, and higher capital cost, and EPA MPG figures almost identical to the Smart Car, there is no way the Jetta could come out as the lowest cost option.

I'll have to assume those stories about a 2009 diesel Honda Accord getting 52 mpg will be just as (in)accurate as the 50-60 mpg diesel Jetta stories were.

Looks like there are no other low life cycle cost contenders out there. Certainly not hybrids, with their battery costs. Waiting a year for a Smart Car is about the only option now.
Really that low, i have a gas jetta 2.5 2006 model stick and i get nearly that.
I drove TDI's in europe and they get much better mileage than gas counter parts (driving a civic equiv )
here's another review
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...a_tdi_diesel_rated_at_41_mpg_highway_car_news
"VW is quick to suggest that it expects the new Jetta TDI to outperform the EPA’s figures—by as much as 20 percent—a diesel phenomenon we don’t totally discredit due to real-world economy as high as 25 mpg in our long-term Mercedes-Benz GL320 CDI (rated at 18/24)."

Well, at 20% better, that's 36/49 or so, rather than the rated 30/41. The Smart is 2008 rated at 33/41. IF the Smart Car is also under rated by 20%, that yields around 40/49. Might be, for both. Maybe.

I guess I'm getting over my disappointment with the Jetta EPA figures, and can see that even if the EPA figures are exactly correct for both in the real world, that's pretty good mileage for the Jetta. For a much larger car. But also a much more expensive car. And diesel is likely to remain more expensive.

Much to think about. Need prices, and I won't likely see a Jetta price until August, and a firm Smart Car price until sometime after that. And two other things I haven't factored in, but need to: Residual value after say, 4 or 5 years; and durability/reliability.

I suppose if those two factors could be weighed heavily in the Jetta's favor, it might make the Jetta the lower life cycle cost vehicle. Maybe. And I must admit my concern over being rear ended. It's happened to me twice since I moved back to this area. Would the Jetta get repaired, but the Smart scrapped?

Naw, the ULS diesel was phased in a few months ago, by federal law. All 2007 & later road vehicles must use ULS only. Older diesels can safely use the ULS. It's now posted on the pumps. Some of the old LS stuff might be around for farm equipment. I recall reading something about the old "standard" diesel (high sulphur) is still around. Maybe it's for marine use. High lubricity, I'll bet.

Yep, and some of the newer diesels are now slated to return back to the US market. I've seen announcements from VW, Mercedes and BMW. Remember it takes a bit of time to re-certify these beasts.

The VW Jetta diesel should be shipping/arriving here in September. The Honda Accord & maybe Civic seem to be several months after that, at least. Sigh. The others are no doubt way too much for this purpose.

I'm flip flopping more than a politician. Gotta go for a test drive with my wife. That might clarify things.

If you decided to buy a smart car, make sure you also test drive a mini cooper. I was going to buy the smart car last year. I even put down the $99 deposit. I have been following the smart car ever seen I saw them in Italy back in 2003. I test drove it in May 07 in their US tour. I thought the transmission was harsh, but it was okay. I then accidentally went to test drive a Mini cooper. The mini just drove so much better.... better than any other cars I have driven. Also mini has very high resale value.

It should. It has a very high price. I don't think you can get one with a/c and minimal adds for less than $24,000.

Nope, the idea is for the company to get a lowest possible life cycle cost vehicle. Initial price and mpg prevent that.

It should. It has a very high price. I don't think you can get one with a/c and minimal adds for less than $24,000.

Nope, the idea is for the company to get a lowest possible life cycle cost vehicle. Initial price and mpg prevent that.

Have you seen this website at cars.com?
Cars.com: Fuel Economy | Best and Worst Gas Mileage

It lists the best bang for the buck, by adding list price and fuel costs assuming own the car 8 years and drive 15k/year. Unfortunately, it estimates fuel at $3.40 and doesn't consider resale value.

The Smart does come out on top.

You should be able top plugh this into a spreadsheet and then vary the yearly mileage, number of years to own, estimated resale, and fuel costs to geet a more accurate picture.

Note that most hybrids come in with significantly higher cost of ownership, as you already figured out.

smart car my azz, if your planing on buying a hybrid there only one to get the Toyota Camry , why because it gets great gas mileage and its full size & you don't look like a dork driving around in a tin can , this is the best hybrid out there period!
Toyota Camry Hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Reviews, Photos, Options and Pricing - Best Cars & Trucks - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews
why people get fooled into smaller cars or other hybrids is beyond me , this is the best MPG car you can find !

this car was rated at over 40+ mpg until they changed the standards , but peeps are still getting close to that !

Just to back you up-

Here is what I did today on a grand tour of south Florida. At the end of this week my job assignments will have me driving just over 1000 miles. Below is a little test I did while driving I-75 just leaving Naples, FL. I always wanted to do this test and the Toyota Camry Hybrid with GPS console has the histogram for Gas consumption to documant it. The Camry is fully loaded with options and is the 50th Anniversary limited edition. The average mpg for this trip to date with 640 miles racked up is 41 mpg. This is about 7 mpg above the typical EPA rating for this type of driving.

The test I did was to rack up some bars on the histogram chart to show a 5 minute run in open highway at 65 mph, fairly flat level highway and then follow an 18 wheeler Van at about 3 car lengths to safely follow and catch the draft. The difference is documented on the chart. I supered the graph lines for visibility.
Sorry for the poor picture quality. I shot it with my cell phone and unfortunately the camera was set to indoor lighting and video at lowest resolution. So I ended up doing a screen capture of the low res video. It seems clear enough to get the idea. I should have checked the cell phone camera before leaving but didn't think of it.

I also did a test of running aside an 18 wheel van and discoovered a loss of 10-12 mpg due to wind turbulance hitting the car from off the front side at an angle. Recommend if you find yourself running along side a large truck speed up and get past the truck. Or, for even better mileage follow the truck in its draft. The difference is about a 4-5 mpg gain in the draft vs open road and a loss of 10 mpg by driving in the front turbulance.

Attachments

• GasConsumption CamryHybrid.jpg
    GasConsumption CamryHybrid.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 104

Actually AC is included in the base model mini. The only option that needed to be added is Auto Tran if needed. With Auto Tran, the price is still under $20k. A base model mini is very nicely equipped. The new EPA MPG is not bad. 28/37 for Manual and 26/34 for Auto. Car maintenance is free for 3 years. It is also #7 on the best resale value cars list. It still may not beat the smart's life cycle cost, but it is much more fun to drive the mini.

Just a reminder, this is a company fleet car in which I will probably be the primary driver. It must have an automatic tranny (I lost that one). The goal is to come up with a highly fuel efficient vehicle, with low or lowest life cycle costs. It is to be an example/hedge against fuel costs. So mpg matters most. We placed a reservation thru our fleet manager for a Smart Car in April. But that $99 is refundable. That might get us the chance to place an actual order in November, more or less. Nobody knows for sure. Unless we come across an orphan. We might get Jetta Diesel info in July or August, since deliveries begin in September. Might be able to get a Jetta Diesel, if we aren't too picky, by the end of the year. A Smart Car would likely be next spring or summer. The car would likely be kept 4-5 years at 10,000 - 15,000 miles per year. Probably toward the low end of that range.

Hybrids just aren't going to meet those requirements. Maybe a diesel hybrid will, one day. Problems include the expected lifetime of the battery pack and resale, which also ties in to reliability and cost to repair. But that's some great info, Don. Thank you for sharing it. Nice overlay on the pic, made it easy to understand.

And thanks, jayn_j for that link. Good info, that I'm sure keeps the same results more or less, as fuel prices increase. I wonder where a Jetta diesel would fit in.

OK- revisiting the mini. You're right, a/c is included in the base. It's some kind of upgraded automatic a/c that costs extra. So if we go to Edmund's and price a base, with the convenience pkg (to get the cruise control, an aftermarket item for the Smart), alarm system, automatic tranny, and heated seats, you get a True Market Value cost of $22,450. Of course, if we dropped the cruise control/convenience pkg, that comes down to just under $21K. With 26/34, it just isn't going to quite make the cut. But it comes closer than I expected. Fun, yes- but not the highest savings. Oddly enough, I have more leg room in the Smart Car than the mini.

Smart Car has a lot of questions about it, especially since they only plan to sell 25,000 of them in the U.S. in 2008. How many in 2009, when I could actually expect delivery? Such low numbers may mean limited repair part availability. But Mitsubishi makes some of the most reliable engines in the world, and I believe that engine is used in other vehicles overseas. And safety. But it will rarely be taken on a hwy over 45 mph, and never on a trip over 100 miles. Price unknown, est to come in at $16,000 to $17,000.

Jetta diesel. Just not enough known. Need pricing, options and availability. Looks like the basic 2009 gasser version can be had for just over $19,000. Diesel upcharge unknown. But it's a larger, presumably safer car.

Honda diesels. Appear to be too far off in the future for consideration this time around.

i believe taht the Honda diesel will be avaialable with the 2009 model. Although I have not heard much about the Civic diesel lately.

Same here. But when in 2009? Can't find any educated guesses, which leads me to believe a Honda diesel wouldn't be delivered any sooner than the Smart Car. But what a difference, assuming it's affordable!

She Who Must Be Obeyed finally went for a test drive in a Smart Car with me. Double Ungood. She does not like it. Actually, she flat out dislikes it and would prefer to never ride in one again. Granted, it is to be a commuter for me for work, but there are times when we can commute together. :(:(:(

She Who Must Be Obeyed finally went for a test drive in a Smart Car with me. Double Ungood. She does not like it. Actually, she flat out dislikes it and would prefer to never ride in one again. Granted, it is to be a commuter for me for work, but there are times when we can commute together. :(:(:(

I'm not surprised at all. The Smart is a no-compromise city car for someone who is looking for economy over everything else. It is harsh riding, underpowered and probably the biggest sin - funny looking in your driveway.

I would bet that to keep the peace, you will need to start looking at beige. Civic or Corolla. An Aveo or Focus says "economy" so the image will probably kill you, even if it is a true 35 MPG contender (as the Focus is). Funny how the "cheap" imports don't have as bad a set of image problems :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)