Smart TV streaming

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I've been trying to find info and maybe a solution to my smart TV's poor streaming performance - the vizio tv has a speed test utility and it shows less than a 5Mb connection on a 100 Mb service - a pc attached to the same router gives a speed of 100 Mb from 2 different sources - it's not an ethernet cable problem - and the tv's wifi gives the same results. Netflix seems to be able to adapt to this but Amazon streaming starts out really crummy for about a couple of minutes and then becomes watchable. I'd get a Roku but there's no available HDMI ports since the only 2 are in use. I guess I can go get a stereo amplifier that can switch HDMI to compensate for lack of HDMI ports - a new TV would probably cost more than a new amplifier. My current amplifier doesn't have HDMI at all.

Have you checked whether the TV software is up to date? Maybe a known bug.

When I first got my LG UH8500 the update utility found nothing but there was a newer version on their support website, I was able to install it from a USB drive.

Does the TV have Component Inputs? If so, can any of the existing HDMI-connected devices be switched to component to free up an HDMI port for the Roku?

FWIW: I've never found Smart TV streaming apps to be worth the hassle. Maybe newer TVs do a better job, but I've tried both Samsung and Sony TVs from 2010 through 2015 and found the experience frustrating.

I suppose if I look hard enough I'd find a switch that'll work with 4K even though I have only 1080p devices right now.

I've been trying to find info and maybe a solution to my smart TV's poor streaming performance - the vizio tv has a speed test utility and it shows less than a 5Mb connection on a 100 Mb service - a pc attached to the same router gives a speed of 100 Mb from 2 different sources - it's not an ethernet cable problem - and the tv's wifi gives the same results. Netflix seems to be able to adapt to this but Amazon streaming starts out really crummy for about a couple of minutes and then becomes watchable. I'd get a Roku but there's no available HDMI ports since the only 2 are in use. I guess I can go get a stereo amplifier that can switch HDMI to compensate for lack of HDMI ports - a new TV would probably cost more than a new amplifier. My current amplifier doesn't have HDMI at all.

Are you using the network test on the TV? That's well known to badly misreport speeds (it typically reads about 11.75Mb/s for me; I have a 50 Mb/s connection. I wonder if they mean 15 MB/s instead). I wouldn't take what it reports seriously.

I also have a Vizio new smart TV, Ethernet connected. Runs Netflix fine, but will not run Pluto TV no matter what. Hardwired Roku Premiere runs fine. I have the extreme 300Mbps down plan, granted none of my devices can really handle that speed, but the plan has unlimited data and the speeds typically max out on any device around 150Mbps down and 30 up. I saw yesterday where it said it was doing an automatic update of channels, but Pluto TV still doesn't play. I just run it through my Roku.

I also have a Vizio new smart TV, Ethernet connected. Runs Netflix fine, but will not run Pluto TV no matter what. Hardwired Roku Premiere runs fine. I have the extreme 300Mbps down plan, granted none of my devices can really handle that speed, but the plan has unlimited data and the speeds typically max out on any device around 150Mbps down and 30 up. I saw yesterday where it said it was doing an automatic update of channels, but Pluto TV still doesn't play. I just run it through my Roku.
Can you force a software update to the tv?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)