Smartcard Reader: CA, CI, IC...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zamar23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Mid West
There was a resent discussion about a new receiver model, where the terms CA, CI, IC and such were mentioned, some people might not be familiar with.

So what are they about? ;)

Conditional Access (CA) system in DVB is a combination of hardware and software that allows only a subscriber with a Smartcard to watch scrambled (encrypted) channels. The system looks like a slot - a Common Interface (CI) slot to insert various Card Readers (Conditional Access Modules - CAM). Once such CAM module is inserted, one can insert a Smartcard into it. The Smartcard has a chip (Integrated Circuit - IC) with info on how to decrypt sat signals broadcast by the provider who issued the Smartcard. Some manufacturers make a "Magic CAM Readers" - they can read many types of Smartcards. Because more card types appear on the market over time, requiring new CAM modules to read them, STB manufacturers often add a second empty CI slot for future upgrade.

Please share in this thread what North American Sat TV broadcasters require a subscription AND a Smartcard to receive their channels? Do any of them allow to use an FTA receiver with a CA module to receive their encrypted channels with a legitimately obtained subscriber's Smartcard?

Attachments

• Smartcard CAM and CI modules.jpg
    Smartcard CAM and CI modules.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Does it mean that a Globecast receiver must be activated with the provider to receive their channels, and the Smartcard issued has the Receiver's Serial or MAC address added on its chip?

Would such receiver usually require to maintain a continuous phone or internet connections with the provider, and what's it for?

I wonder if Globcast or any other local provider officially permits to use a second FTA receiver in addition to their own receiver to view channels using the same subscriber's Smartcard in the same house? Or they supply own second receiver at no charge for that upon request?

Hope, all this info will help FTA newbies to understand, if and how Smartcards can be used legally in NA.

Globecast uses Nagravision. I do not know the exact details, but a Nagra card is married to CAM, which in their receivers is embedded in to the receiver.

No legitimate pay receiver will need a continuous connection apart from satellite. Its conditional access messages come from satellite. Pay receivers use phone mostly for PPV reportback and location verification.

No current major North American pay satellite provider I know of allows you to use other than the receiver they provide for their service.

The only one that lets you use a different receiver is TAN TV on AMC4...I know SatelliteAV was selling the Visionsat to work with that

Other than Globecast who requires you to use their (crappy) receiver there arent any other card providers here in NA for FTA

The only one that lets you use a different receiver is TAN TV on AMC4...I know SatelliteAV was selling the Visionsat to work with that

Other than Globecast who requires you to use their (crappy) receiver there arent any other card providers here in NA for FTA
One possible exception is CCN. They use Irdeto on any compatible receiver (they offer the Topfield Homecast) for their Christian Events subscription service on 97W.

I don't know much more about them other than a church here in town periodically offers CCN events.

One possible exception is CCN. They use Irdeto on any compatible receiver (they offer the Topfield Homecast) for their Christian Events subscription service on 97W.

I don't know much more about them other than a church here in town periodically offers CCN events.
CCN now contracts Satellite AV to ship either the GEOSATpro DSR200c or the GEOSATpro DVR1100c. You are correct, they will provide the IRDETO subscription cards independent of the receiver purchase.

Those aren't what I would call "Major", and for now FreeDBS is not "current"

Receiver ordered PPV would require a modem or network connection, as well as a receiver UI to purchase it and receiver software to call it home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)