Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Other, Please List Below

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, I Do Not Own A Smartphone

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
Currently using an iPhone 3Gs because at the time this was the best smart phone on ATT. Once my contract is up on this phone I may look at getting a Droid. But does ATT have any decent Droid phones?

they have a galaxy s phone

AT&T is lacking in the Android department. They have the HTC Aria, which is like a very low end Evo, the Samsung Captivate which is their Galaxy S Phone, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 and a Motorola phone. Best bet would probably be the Captivate.

Perhaps, but ALL SatelliteGuys have to leave the D* and E* forum once in a while and wander into the PhoneZone. You know...can the staff place an occasional scrolling banner in the major forums informing members of interesting threads elsewhere on the site?

Good point, I never came to this forum till I actually got a Smart Phone.

Btw, I use a Samsung Epic

Currently using an iPhone 3Gs because at the time this was the best smart phone on ATT. Once my contract is up on this phone I may look at getting a Droid. But does ATT have any decent Droid phones?
I'd recommend the Nexus One if it were still available. I'm glad I got mine off contract so I can jump as soon as one of the providers has a good phone and LTE/4G Network up. If you want an AT&T Android you'd better make sure the phone can be easily rooted since AT&T stupidly disallows their phones to side load apps, which basically goes against the entire reason to have an open OS. That may not sound like a problem, but there are a number of legitimate apps that aren't available on the Android Market that AT&T simply doesn't allow because they assume all non-market apps are bad. For example, you can't install the Sirius XM Satellite Radio app on a pure AT&T Android phone since it isn't a market app. Just make sure you do your research first.

AT&T doesn't carry Moto Droids, They due have some android lines that are good like the Captivate and Aria

I'd recommend the Nexus One if it were still available. I'm glad I got mine off contract so I can jump as soon as one of the providers has a good phone and LTE/4G Network up. If you want an AT&T Android you'd better make sure the phone can be easily rooted since AT&T stupidly disallows their phones to side load apps, which basically goes against the entire reason to have an open OS. That may not sound like a problem, but there are a number of legitimate apps that aren't available on the Android Market that AT&T simply doesn't allow because they assume all non-market apps are bad. For example, you can't install the Sirius XM Satellite Radio app on a pure AT&T Android phone since it isn't a market app. Just make sure you do your research first.
IOW, it is better for me to stick with my iPhone as long as I am with ATT

I forgot all about that. That really sucks AT&T won’t let you install non Market apps. Three of my most used apps are non Market apps. I stream Sirius XM for 10+ hours a day at work, Sundays from 1-8PM I’m streaming RedZone channel on NFL Mobile and I’ve been using NHL GamerCenter Live a lot the past few days. There are many many many reasons I hate AT&T, that right there is probably the one I forget about the most, but yet that one would have the biggest negative impact on me.

...since AT&T stupidly disallows their phones to side load apps...
How do they stop it ? Download Astro, tap the .apk file, select "Open App Manager" for *.apk files .... oh wait, they likely removed the "Unknown sources" option ! :( I wonder if there's a back-door around that that doesn't require root.

As 'yourbeliefs' mentioned, make sure any Android phone you get is root-able. Doesn't mean you have to but at least you have the option.

How do they stop it ? Download Astro, tap the .apk file, select "Open App Manager" for *.apk files .... oh wait, they likely removed the "Unknown sources" option ! :( I wonder if there's a back-door around that that doesn't require root.

As 'yourbeliefs' mentioned, make sure any Android phone you get is root-able. Doesn't mean you have to but at least you have the option.
its a app called sideloader that fixed that

I searched about this after posting and it looks like they've been doing this since early 2010... One work-around I found at XDA involved pushing a replacement "applications.apk" that has it. Of course for many, the steps (downloading Android SDK, command-line instructions, etc, etc) are beyond them. :D

Wow, the participants in the phone forum are definitely Android-friendly. I suspect a survey of ALL satelliteguys would have more iphones in it.

I suspect you're right. I also suspect that most iPhone users are happy with "it just works" and aren't interested in pushing any limits, or visiting the Phone Zone. Android users seem more interested in tweaking.

For me I found the opposite to be true. I wouldn’t touch an iPhone unless it was jailbroken. First thing I did when I got my iPhone when I got home was jailbreak it to unleash the true power of the iPhone and not be limited to what Jobs wants users to be limited to. The ability to customize it, add features that the phone was technically capable of but Apple and AT&T wouldn’t allow. Now with Android, I have no reason to root. Would I like to be able to remove crap like the Facebook app and Peep, sure, I’d love to. Is it a must, no, not at all. Jailbreaking the iPhone, now that’s a must!

For me I found the opposite to be true. I wouldn’t touch an iPhone unless it was jailbroken. First thing I did when I got my iPhone when I got home was jailbreak it to unleash the true power of the iPhone and not be limited to what Jobs wants users to be limited to. The ability to customize it, add features that the phone was technically capable of but Apple and AT&T wouldn’t allow. Now with Android, I have no reason to root. Would I like to be able to remove crap like the Facebook app and Peep, sure, I’d love to. Is it a must, no, not at all. Jailbreaking the iPhone, now that’s a must!

Rooting is about more than removing an app. Overclocking. Wireless tether FOR FREE and not being charged by Verizon, titanium backup, custom roms, themes, same reason you wanted to jailbreak, you would want to root. Feel the power. :)

Not interested in overclocking as that will only deplete the battery faster for probably what amounts to a minute gain in overall performance, I have no need to tether as I do not own a laptop, but when I do, I’ll pay the $60/month an get an air card from Sprint, and I wouldn’t use the wireless hotspot feature either, I’m a hardwired guy, for networking, especially if the internet is involved, I’ll take wired any day over wireless. I don’t have the need to back up anything on my phone, apps, and widgets included. I enjoy starting fresh, if I restore my phone and forget to install a few apps, I guess that means those weren’t very important to me and I have no use for them. There’s more than enough different types of themes and display options available for me already to customize, and after everything I do, I still come back to the same set up, found nothing I like better.

I jailbroke the iPhone to allow copy and paste, multitasking with Backgrounder, goofy apps like Caller ID Spoofer and some other stuff.

What's the benefit of running custom roms on an Android phone?

Hmmm, I feel like I'm the only smartphone user in the Phone Zone who hasn't used a Jailbreak to run open apps. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts