Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Other, Please List Below

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, I Do Not Own A Smartphone

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
I just tried to flash a new kernel to my Droid from jdlg on Rom Manager, but for some reason clockwork mod is acting up. Not sure why, but it won't reboot into recovery. So I just decided to skip it. I can go 8 more days running at 800Mhz. Its worked fine all along. :)

You either need to lower the speed of the kernel you are trying to use, or use a higher voltage one.

You either need to lower the speed of the kernel you are trying to use, or use a higher voltage one.

No, I don't think it is even installing it. Maybe I am wrong; but all I am getting is the Motorola screen. after a minute it rebooted and went to the boot animation; the second kernel I tried it stayed at the Motorola screen. It only rebooted properly when I pulled the battery.

No big deal. Droid 1 is enjoyed its last days anyways. It will go in reserve as a "backup."

I'm not even about to go though all of this crap, simply not worth the time and the effort [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G - xda-developers

I just rooted using the one click method
[GUIDE] One Click How to Root the EVO with Unrevoked 3.21 - xda-developers

I purchased and installed SetCPU in hoping to overclock, the Evo has a 1 GHz Snapdragon, and SetCPU won't let me go any higher (maxes out at 998 MHz), that will be uninstalled and refunded. I downloaded Titanium Back Up since after a quick seach that's what will allow me to remove Facebook and other unwanted stock apps. I launched Titanium Backup and it just says 'Overview' at the top. No list of all applications on the phone like in the screen cap, tried refreshing and still nothing.

So to unroot can I just press Power and Vol- with the phone off to wipe and restore the phone without screwing anything up and be back at factory settings? I can see there really is no benefit for me being rooted and I'd like to be running stock again.

Hall said:
I don't think your effort worked... In fact, I'm 99% sure you failed at trying to root.

What could have gone wrong? I followed the instructions to a T, no errors and I now have a Super Users Remissions app.

Sorry, but I can't help with one-click-root methods. I don't use them so I don't know what can go wrong. Considering they're "one-click", it's hard to imagine though !!

For what it's worth, I disabled superuser permission (effectively emulating 'no-root') to Ti Backup and I get no list of apps. It does say right in the middle of the Ti Backup window

Root access ==> FAILED

As for overclocking, based on what I read over at XDA for the EVO 4G, it most certainly supports higher clock speeds when rooted.

From what I can tell I'm fully rooted. Turns out I needed to install Busy Box. Not sure what that is or does, but Titanium Back Up now works. I removed Facebook yay! But the icon is still there. Hopefully that can be removed. I'll have to do some research.

The overlooking is a mystery to me. SetCPU and CPU Tuner appear to do nothing that will allow me to OC.

From what I can tell I'm fully rooted. Turns out I needed to install Busy Box. Not sure what that is or does, but Titanium Back Up now works. I removed Facebook yay! But the icon is still there. Hopefully that can be removed. I'll have to do some research.

The overlooking is a mystery to me. SetCPU and CPU Tuner appear to do nothing that will allow me to OC.

titanium backup is wonderful. DO a complete backup of your system with it. If you have to wipe/delete cache, you can restore apps like Launcher Pro, and your home pages will be just the way they were.

As far as overclocking, you need to download a kernel.

Okay, it does look like this one-click root does that, but NOTHING more. I can't imagine how many others run into similar issues after using it. They could at least tell you after doing this to install a custom ROM or kernel at a minimum.

Okay, it does look like this one-click root does that, but NOTHING more. I can't imagine how many others run into similar issues after using it. They could at least tell you after doing this to install a custom ROM or kernel at a minimum.
i used the one click method and it worked great. and yes you need kernel for overclocking. i decided not to overclock but i am using set cpu with a customized profile so the battery lasts longer. so far i'm getting longer batter life.

Well I can’t figure out anything of this for the life of me. Spent five hours last night looking up information about ROMs and Kernels and what I need and I’m still no closer to doing anything then I was yesterday. Yep I removed Facebook, but when I rebooted the phone it came back. So the time I spent figuring out Titanium Backup was a complete waste. I can’t figure out how to overclock or what ROM I need and at this point I don’t really care. Don’t care about any user interface tweaks as I love Sense, nothing else I’ve seen or used even comes close to it. I’d like to be able to run Gingerbread when it comes out and I really don’t care to spend any more time on this crap, only to spend more time trying to undo it all in a few months. Plus reading various problems people have with different ROMs screw it! Not only have I not figured out how to load a ROM yet but everything on my phone works perfectly now, no reason to mess around.

Basically now all I want to do is get this all back to stock everything and undo the Unrevoked Root and go back to how I got this out of the box so I can start over from scratch, just have to figure out how to do that with out screwing anything up and I'll be all set.

I did the factory restores both through the boot menu and in the regular menu and I'm still rooted. I still have the Clockwork Recovery screen when I go to Recovery in the Boot Menu, Superuser Permissions is still there and I had no problem installing Titanium Backup and getting it to work. Good news though, I guess, Facebook is no longer on my phone, which is what I wanted all along. Not sure how that happened but, that's good. My main concern now when 2.3 comes out or when Sprint pushes their own updates, will I be able to download and install them? I don't care if they undo the root, in fact I hope that happens, I didn't install any other ROMs or kernals, all I did was the Unrevoked One Click Root. I hope I didn't venture too far into this.

I did the factory restores both through the boot menu and in the regular menu and I'm still rooted. I still have the Clockwork Recovery screen when I go to Recovery in the Boot Menu, Superuser Permissions is still there and I had no problem installing Titanium Backup and getting it to work. Good news though, I guess, Facebook is no longer on my phone, which is what I wanted all along. Not sure how that happened but, that's good. My main concern now when 2.3 comes out or when Sprint pushes their own updates, will I be able to download and install them? I don't care if they undo the root, in fact I hope that happens, I didn't install any other ROMs or kernals, all I did was the Unrevoked One Click Root. I hope I didn't venture too far into this.

Its worth staying rooted just for titanium backup. You'll have no problem getting a new update, being rooted doesn't stop that. And the update will most likely unroot you.

Not sure about any android 2.3 though; gingerbread is 3.0.

Awesome, thanks, just what I wanted to know. A buddy of mine who has the Evo rooted using Unrevoked with Eclair and had a hell of a time upgrading to Froyo when it came out, but I think he went a lot deeper into it then I did. I still have an unsetteling feeling about this all though since I still have the Clockwork Recovery screen, not the regular Android one in the boot menu. I guess I'll see in time if this all works out. I have no real interest in what Titanium Back Up does other then it's ability to remove stock apps. Don't care to back up anything on my phone. Pictures and music are on the SD card, I have a grand total of 4 contacts in the Evo don't need to back that up, don't care about backing up text messaging conversations or any email downloaded to the phone, as for apps, like I said above I'd rather not back them up, perfect opportunity to only redownload the apps I use. From the moment the Evo came back to life after the Factory Reset I did earlier and I entered in my gmail information my phone was all back and running within 10 minutes with everything set up the way I like it. I'm sure I forgot to install a few apps but that's okay. Titanium BackUp is a cool utility, but I have no desire to be able to do what it does. The only other thing I will look into is how to change the Market ID. Hopefully that one doesn't require some off the wall thing. I'm curious to see what other apps are out there that I'm not able to see.

BTW - Things changed, Gingerbread is now 2.3, it's due out shortly, Honeycomb will 3.0, Ice Cream will be 3.X

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)