Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Other, Please List Below

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, I Do Not Own A Smartphone

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
Hmmm, I feel like I'm the only smartphone user in the Phone Zone who hasn't used a Jailbreak to run open apps. :)

Don't worry, you are not the only one. I also have not had a reason to jailbreak or root any of my phones that I have had.

Not interested in overclocking as that will only deplete the battery faster for probably what amounts to a minute gain in overall performance, I have no need to tether as I do not own a laptop, but when I do, I’ll pay the $60/month an get an air card from Sprint, and I wouldn’t use the wireless hotspot feature either, I’m a hardwired guy, for networking, especially if the internet is involved, I’ll take wired any day over wireless. I don’t have the need to back up anything on my phone, apps, and widgets included. I enjoy starting fresh, if I restore my phone and forget to install a few apps, I guess that means those weren’t very important to me and I have no use for them. There’s more than enough different types of themes and display options available for me already to customize, and after everything I do, I still come back to the same set up, found nothing I like better.

I jailbroke the iPhone to allow copy and paste, multitasking with Backgrounder, goofy apps like Caller ID Spoofer and some other stuff.

What's the benefit of running custom roms on an Android phone?

Combine low voltage kernels with SetCPU and you can have the OS control the clockspeed on demand. With the rom I am running, I get just as good battery life as I had before, and the system runs smooth and fast. Sure if you run a 1.2GHz kernel on a Droid designed for 600Mhz you'll lose battery life, but many of us have been OC'ng for a long time with no deleterious effects.

Maybe you like spending $60 per month for broadband. I'll pass, and when I am on a train to chicago, I can tether and use my laptop the whole way. Or if I am in a hotel and I don't feel like paying $15 per day for internet... the tethering options are great.

Here is an example of what a custom rom can add:
http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/FROYO/changelog.txt

This is from Pete's Bugless Beast 0.5 for the Moto Droid. This guy makes a very nice rom.

Not interested in overclocking as that will only deplete the battery faster for probably what amounts to a minute gain in overall performance, I have no need to tether as I do not own a laptop, but when I do, I’ll pay the $60/month an get an air card from Sprint,
What's the benefit of running custom roms on an Android phone?

Actually, I get BETTER battery life running a 1.2 ghz low voltage custom rom (managed by setcpu) than I did having my droid run at stock speed. Plus better performance to boot.
As far as the tethering goes, why would you want to pay when It can easily be free? To each their own I guess, but tethering works great, even if you would only use it a few times.

When it comes to the benefit of running custom roms, I have found a good one (like bugless) just runs smoother than the stock rom that cam on the phone. Plus, I got 2.2 before Csouth released it, which itself is worth rooting IMO. And the benefit of adding apps that only work on rooted phones as well.

As easy as it is to do it, pretty much one click and you are done, Its a no brainer IMHO.

Plus, I got 2.2 before Csouth released it, which itself is worth rooting IMO. And the benefit of adding apps that only work on rooted phones as well.
In my case, Verizon is likely to never release Android 2.2 for the HTC Eris, but I'm running it today on mine (and have been for 2 months or more).

In my case, Verizon is likely to never release Android 2.2 for the HTC Eris, but I'm running it today on mine (and have been for 2 months or more).

Yes, much like the Hero on Csouth, 2.1 will be the last "official" release for it, but with rooting, there are options. I would update my wifes Hero, but I will probably be upgrading her to the Galaxy soon, so I doubt I take the time to do it.

Actually, I get BETTER battery life running a 1.2 ghz low voltage custom rom (managed by setcpu) than I did having my droid run at stock speed. Plus better performance to boot.
As far as the tethering goes, why would you want to pay when It can easily be free? To each their own I guess, but tethering works great, even if you would only use it a few times.

When it comes to the benefit of running custom roms, I have found a good one (like bugless) just runs smoother than the stock rom that cam on the phone. Plus, I got 2.2 before Csouth released it, which itself is worth rooting IMO. And the benefit of adding apps that only work on rooted phones as well.

As easy as it is to do it, pretty much one click and you are done, Its a no brainer IMHO.

You are running Pete's BB.5 right? Where did you get the kernel? I want to try it out. I am only running 800Mhz, and figure why not boost it.

You are running Pete's BB.5 right? Where did you get the kernel? I want to try it out. I am only running 800Mhz, and figure why not boost it.

I am using a chevy Kernel. LV 1.2 ghz.
I got it through Rom Manager Premium, and there are many to choose from. Multiple speeds, and ULV and LV variants.

Not interested in overclocking as that will only deplete the battery faster for probably what amounts to a minute gain in overall performance, I have no need to tether as I do not own a laptop, but when I do, I’ll pay the $60/month an get an air card from Sprint, and I wouldn’t use the wireless hotspot feature either, I’m a hardwired guy, for networking, especially if the internet is involved, I’ll take wired any day over wireless. I don’t have the need to back up anything on my phone, apps, and widgets included. I enjoy starting fresh, if I restore my phone and forget to install a few apps, I guess that means those weren’t very important to me and I have no use for them. There’s more than enough different types of themes and display options available for me already to customize, and after everything I do, I still come back to the same set up, found nothing I like better.

I jailbroke the iPhone to allow copy and paste, multitasking with Backgrounder, goofy apps like Caller ID Spoofer and some other stuff.
No reason to do that anymore as these are all now standard on the iOS

I realized today, walking into the Verizon store, that the place is practically Android nirvana. They had a heck of a lot of Android devices in there. What a difference one year makes - when they had just the Droid and the Eris.

And then I also thought, once they get the iphone, they are going to pretty much rule the wireless world. Kind of scary actually.

I realized today, walking into the Verizon store, that the place is practically Android nirvana. They had a heck of a lot of Android devices in there. What a difference one year makes - when they had just the Droid and the Eris.

And then I also thought, once they get the iphone, they are going to pretty much rule the wireless world. Kind of scary actually.

Even C south is becoming that way, not the the extent that Verizon is though. They now have the Hero, Milestone, Desire, Showcase (galaxy), With the Wildfire and Ally (they call it axis) coming this year. And more coming soon they say. This time last year we just had the Hero (same day as sprint I might add) and it was one of the best available then.
I just wish we could get the upper tier (Desire and Galaxy aside) at the same time as Verizon (such as the Droid X and Droid 2 and Pro)

Even C south is becoming that way, not the the extent that Verizon is though. They now have the Hero, Milestone, Desire, Showcase (galaxy), With the Wildfire and Ally (they call it axis) coming this year. And more coming soon they say. This time last year we just had the Hero (same day as sprint I might add) and it was one of the best available then.
I just wish we could get the upper tier (Desire and Galaxy aside) at the same time as Verizon (such as the Droid X and Droid 2 and Pro)

I have to say that new Samsung continuum with that scroll bar on the bottom of the screen is pretty cool. Probably the most original thing I have seen to date.

But it was like a kid in a candy shop today, particularly since they had a Galaxy Tab to play with. :)

No reason to do that anymore as these are all now standard on the iOS

Nice to see Apple finally caught up to the rest of the world, but I'm sure there's still plenty of things out there iOS can't do that other mobile OSs do. There’s one big reason why I would jailbreak, because Lord Jobs doesn’t want you to. Everytime a new version of iOS came out, when I was applying the jailbreak I’d get a warm and fuzzy because I knew there was a whiny little boy in Cupertino having a stoke because I was violating MY phone that I paid $300 for.

Maybe you like spending $60 per month for broadband

Screw that! To me tethering is kind of like hijacking a neighbors unencrypted WIFI signal. Yeah it works in a pinch, but it’s a half assed solution. I suppose I could have used the excuse about wanting to talk and be online at the same time, but since I don’t really use the Evo as a phone, the point is moot. And I have no plans to drop my home internet connection, I love Sprint to death but they can’t touch the speed and reliability of Road Runner. I don’t believe in free, nothing is free, Sprint is doing a great job and if I do indeed use their service the only right thing to do is pay.

As for rooting is there a relatively easy way to do it on an Evo running 2.2? The one thing I’ve found on how to root an Evo with Froyo has a million different steps and is not worth it to me. I just want Facebook off of my phone.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nice to see Apple finally caught up to the rest of the world, but I'm sure there's still plenty of things out there iOS can't do that other mobile OSs do. There’s one big reason why I would jailbreak, because Lord Jobs doesn’t want you to. Everytime a new version of iOS came out, when I was applying the jailbreak I’d get a warm and fuzzy because I knew there was a whiny little boy in Cupertino having a stoke because I was violating MY phone that I paid $300 for.

[/COLOR]

Screw that! To me tethering is kind of like hijacking a neighbors unencrypted WIFI signal. Yeah it works in a pinch, but it’s a half assed solution. I suppose I could have used the excuse about wanting to talk and be online at the same time, but since I don’t really use the Evo as a phone, the point is moot. And I have no plans to drop my home internet connection, I love Sprint to death but they can’t touch the speed and reliability of Road Runner. I don’t believe in free, nothing is free, Sprint is doing a great job and if I do indeed use their service the only right thing to do is pay.

As for rooting is there a relatively easy way to do it on an Evo running 2.2? The one thing I’ve found on how to root an Evo with Froyo has a million different steps and is not worth it to me. I just want Facebook off of my phone.

How on Earth is tethering your own wi-fi connection the equivalent of hijacking your neighbor's wifi?? You are paying for the data plan, why not use it?

and I'd say that there is nothing half-assed about using PDAnet or any other tethering program. It works reliably; it is pretty much as fast as 3G, and it is FREE. Nobody here is saying use it to replace your home internet. Tethering is great when you don't have wifi available.

How on Earth is tethering your own wi-fi connection the equivalent of hijacking your neighbor's wifi?? You are paying for the data plan, why not use it?

and I'd say that there is nothing half-assed about using PDAnet or any other tethering program. It works reliably; it is pretty much as fast as 3G, and it is FREE. Nobody here is saying use it to replace your home internet. Tethering is great when you don't have wifi available.

Yeah, I think we were all arguing different points. Steve, we meant using tether in cases when say your home connection was down, or you were perhaps on a trip and did not have access to a wifi network, ect. Not using it as a replacement for your home internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)