Smithsonian and MGM HD coming to E* soon?

Jeff_R

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA
I was reading at another board (I'm sure it's here as well), that among the September additions for D* are MGM HD and Smithsonian HD.

These are new all-HD channels, exactly what I think we want, rather than 90% upconverts. Has any one heard anything on the possibility of these channels coming to E* this month as well, with the rumored TBS and CNN HD?

I am really hoping Smithsonian HD and MGM HD are near the top of Dish's list of HD channels to get. Smithsonian HD is something both me and my father are looking forward to. I think MGM HD is gonna be another really nice channel. I'd imagine that DirecTV and Dish are both keeping eyes on each other and trying to outdo each other on the HD front so there's always hope.

Put up an antenna to get your locals in HD. More national HD please (and my DMA is not uplinked and won't be any time soon, Dayton Ohio locals here).

Just out of curiosity, whats the largest DMA not covered by HD locals? (and what size market is it?)

And what % of the subscribers already have HD Locals available?

Put up an antenna to get your locals in HD. More national HD please (and my DMA is not uplinked and won't be any time soon, Dayton Ohio locals here).

can't get my 'real' locals in HD. (not in HD)

Can't get my 'moved' locals in HD from Dish. (from D*, yes) (the largest dma w/o Dish HD locals- Cleveland)

There's always a lot of people from Indianapolis complaining on this forum so I imagine they're up there too in terms of large DMA's without HD locals.

The words "MGM-HD" and "Smithsonian-HD" on pieces of paper do not mean that those channels actually currently exist.

Do you see them uplinked on C-Band ?

I haven't found MGM-HD yet, but Smithsonian HD is currently being uplinked on Cband.

Indianapolis has got to be a huge one. With over 1 million + in just the Indy metro area, not including suburbs, big market left out. Oh well, Ill take my locals in HD OTA :) way better PQ plus with the 622 can record 3 things at once

The words "MGM-HD" and "Smithsonian-HD" on pieces of paper do not mean that those channels actually currently exist.

Do you see them uplinked on C-Band ?

Not all channels are distributed via C-Band anymore. Plenty of channels are sent via fiber only, with no satellite uplink.

I have been reading about Smithsonian HD for soem time. Many are upset with the Smithsonian for working with Showtime as the channel like the other channels will be a premium channel.

MGM HD also shows up with a web search. Unfortunately I do not see any real details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)