Smithsonian Now Gone from EPG

Timpanogos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Just looking at my guide on my VIP722 (at 4:30PM Mountain time zone) and Smithsonian is showing regular programming and not the "read the important message" crap in the guide. Are they coming back up soon?

After digging a little further yesterday Smithsonian Channel put up a notice on its website saying that the channel was removed due to a contract dispute with Dish Network. This was confirmed last night by with someone from Dish Network who did not want to be identified. In addition I was told that he felt that the channel while offering some great high definition programming was now mostly repeats and that the channel was only planning a few hundred hour of new programming for the next year. Because of this it was this person’s opinion of the reason why Dish did not renew with Smithsonian channel.

It is looking optimistic however that the channel may make a return as Smithsonian updated their website stating, “Dish Network has elected to suspend service of SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL. We hope to resolve the situation shortly so that SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL can be restored.” In addition Dish Network CSR’s have been reported telling customers that they hope to have Smithsonian Channel HD restored shortly.

This one might have a good outcome for all after all.

I heard this morning that they were close. But nothing more then that.

It would be nice to have it on by the Tech Chat tonight. :)

They do repeat a lot of programming. The new stuff is great. I have been watching the series on The Blues. Great stuff.

Hope you guys can get it back soon!

After digging a little further yesterday Smithsonian Channel put up a notice on its website saying that the channel was removed due to a contract dispute with Dish Network. This was confirmed last night by with someone from Dish Network who did not want to be identified. In addition I was told that he felt that the channel while offering some great high definition programming was now mostly repeats and that the channel was only planning a few hundred hour of new programming for the next year. Because of this it was this person’s opinion of the reason why Dish did not renew with Smithsonian channel.

It is looking optimistic however that the channel may make a return as Smithsonian updated their website stating, “Dish Network has elected to suspend service of SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL. We hope to resolve the situation shortly so that SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL can be restored.” In addition Dish Network CSR’s have been reported telling customers that they hope to have Smithsonian Channel HD restored shortly.

This one might have a good outcome for all after all.

Man I think I said the same thing a week ago in my MultiChannel News column. ;)

They do repeat a lot of programming. The new stuff is great. I have been watching the series on The Blues. Great stuff.
Every channel repeats. I don't watch Smithsonian for 24 non stop. Or anyother channel. So I never notice as many repeats as I did with a Certain Group of HD channels that E* dropped. For days they were running the same 4 shows, Smithsonian wasn't that bad. So I agree its a channel worth keeping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)