snow question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
i been without directv for about a week now because of snow, i can't get my dish to clear it off, and Erie Pa has been hit by record account of snow, what can i do beside of a water gun?

If the dish is solidly installed you could try a snowball? - hitting it might cause an "avalanche" and the snow to fall off especially because it should not have much moisture in it? I would hit it from behind if possible. Is there anything with length you have that you could tap it with?

Garden Hose - If you put it in the basement before the frost - Cleaning the dish with a broom lightly if you can reach it - or if you have a Super soaker fill it with aintfreeze windsheild washer fluid and spay it with that.

If the dish is solidly installed you could try a snowball? - hitting it might cause an "avalanche" and the snow to fall off especially because it should not have much moisture in it? I would hit it from behind if possible. Is there anything with length you have that you could tap it with?

That's NOT good if it's Cold enough and you hit just right - You can bend the Dish and it will be a lot longer wait for the snow & ICE to be off the roof to replace it

From the news reports on the snowfall Erie received. I'd bet clearing the dish off won't be good enough, clearing the dish and the immediate area around it is probably more like it.

Where is the dish located, roof on 2nd story?

From the news reports on the snowfall Erie received. I'd bet clearing the dish off won't be good enough, clearing the dish and the immediate area around it is probably more like it.

yes , 2nd story , everyday Erie get more and more snow , it's unbelievable , and unfortunately i am disabled so i limited to what i can to

yes , 2nd story , everyday Erie get more and more snow , it's unbelievable , and unfortunately i am disabled so i limited to what i can to

Now might be a good time to try out a streaming service. Maybe directv can put your account on pause, could be awhile before all that snow goes away.

I had this exact problem 5-6 years ago. Here in N.D. we see plenty of Snow and I used to have the dish mounted on the roof and when it snowed enough I’d have snow built up from the roof up to the dish and always had to climb up onto the roof of the deck then onto the house and clear it all off usually at least once a winter. It was a total problem. Then a few summers ago I moved both my dishes off the roof and over securely mounted & braced to the chimney and ran new cable along the side. Now there is nothing underneath the dish to get full of snow and even when it’s like a blizzard out any snow build up on the arm or reflector just blows off. It’s totally fixed my issue.

Reactions: stardust3
Suggestion .... once this gets cleared, buy a dish heater.
Plug it in when your gonna get snow ...

Typically, its the WET snow that causes issues ...

Reactions: dishcomm
i been without directv for about a week now because of snow, i can't get my dish to clear it off, and Erie Pa has been hit by record account of snow, what can i do beside of a water gun?
A water gun is the LAST thing you want to do...With the frigid temps, the water will simply freeze on contact, compounding your problem.

I'm actually surprised you don;t have signal. The snow to water ratio with these extremely low temps is perhaps in the 15:1 or even 20:1 range,. the snow is powdery. Usually this type of snow does not block the signal.
Must have a coating of ice beneath the snow. Until you can get the antenna cleared of snow and ice, you're out of luck.

Reactions: Jimbo
With all that snow that they had in Erie, I'm surprised that he can even see the dish much less clear it off. Last I heard, it was close to six feet.

I’m lucky since at my apartment, my dish is on the ground. So with snow buildup, I can simply put on winter gloves and wipe off the dish.

Reactions: Jimbo
to update mine mom, called Directv today without mine known and i am guessing they are coming tomorrow and doing something to clear the dish off plus a month free

Last edited:
yes it is probably a good time to try out several streaming services, cbs all access, Netflix, hulu, dtvnow, psvue and slingtv because that snow will not come off until it is melted completely.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts