Snowbound Dishs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Thought you folks would get a kick out some pics i took this morning. When looking at them please remember that my c band dishs are on high poles, normally i can walk under them at the lowest elevation without hitting my head (i am 6' tall). Next to my 10' BUD you can see my 1.2 meter dish, that is on a 5 foot pole. I wish I would have got pics before i cleaned off my 6'er, it had over a foot of snow on it.

Attachments

• snowydish1.jpg
    snowydish1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 179
  • snowydish2.jpg
    snowydish2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 180
  • snowydish3.jpg
    snowydish3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 174
holy crap! You got more snow recently than we got here in MN all year (little over a foot here)

You still have signal on C-Band? :D

I lost signal on the 6'er until i cleared snow off of it this am. The 10'er was aimed at low elevation sats so there was no significant accumulation and I never lost signal during the storm. One of my KU dishs is completely buried on the back of my roof, I am going up tomorrow and shovel it all off.

dfergie,
Were you still getting reception? That looks like about 4" of snow on the dish, usually I can still get signal with that much snow.

I would love to see some pics from upstate NY, those poor folks have been getting buried with snow.

drhydro,

I'm from upstate NY but not Oswego (south of Buffalo). I have about the same as you from the look of your photos. I could hardly waddle out to my six footer the other day to clean it off. The worst part is I'm "in the process" of moving and it has dawned on me that I am not going to be able to take either of my dishes until early spring so I will be without FTA for awhile.

When my BUD reception starts to sparkle, I go down to C4 and watch something until the snow falls (or gets blown) off. It saves having to wade out to the dish and sweep it off. (Mine is low enough to sweep when it's near the horizon, bottom lip about 4' off the ground. Snow doesn't usually get higher than that on the ground - most years. Then there was 1993...) :D

I'll bet drhydro has heard of "Lake Effect Snow Warning" too! I live in upstate NY, but not near Oswego. I'm down south, near Binghamton. We only have about 25" on the ground, haven't been wiped out like Watertown and Oswego got. :)

Keep warm, drhydro! Good luck.

Forget rainfade, this beats everything! :D
For some odd reason i lost signal on the buried dish (76 cm pointed at amc 3), seems like microwaves dont go thru deep snow that well :p Luckily my main FTA dish is my p* pointed at g10, it is close enough to the side of the roof that it did not get buried.

When my BUD reception starts to sparkle, I go down to C4 and watch something until the snow falls (or gets blown) off. It saves having to wade out to the dish and sweep it off. (Mine is low enough to sweep when it's near the horizon, bottom lip about 4' off the ground. Snow doesn't usually get higher than that on the ground - most years. Then there was 1993...) :D
I parked my motorized 10' BUD on c4 during the storm and never lost reception. My 6'er is pointed (fixed) at g 4/16 which is around a 45 degree elevation here, it works great as a snow catcher. I have to clean it off after any significant snowfall.

The heaviest snow cover we have had since I moved up here was our first year here, it snowed every day for 3 weeks during december, and then continued to snow the rest of the winter. By spring we had over 6' of snow in our front yard. That was a real eye opener as to how winter is in this section of VT.
I'll bet drhydro has heard of "Lake Effect Snow Warning" too! I live in upstate NY, but not near Oswego. I'm down south, near Binghamton. We only have about 25" on the ground, haven't been wiped out like Watertown and Oswego got. :)

Keep warm, drhydro! Good luck.
I have definately heard of and seen lake effect snow lol. I pity those poor folks around Watertown and Oswego.

Would y'all be mad if I put some sunglasses on my 1m P* and took some pics? Its was 65 here today. Supposed to be 70 and sunny tomorrow. :D

Would y'all be mad if I put some sunglasses on my 1m P* and took some pics? Its was 65 here today. Supposed to be 70 and sunny tomorrow. :D
True, but we had lows near and below freezing for the past week. Put a real damper on the Mardi Gras festivities, catching beads in near freezing weather is painful :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)