SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

Today is another prime example of another way we get dinged by not having YES and now potentially SNY. The Yankees game on ESPN now is blacked out for us here in CT, even though we can't get YES if we wanted to as Dish subs.

Given how many people have cable or satellite primarily for local sports -- and it's a lot -- I think losing an RSN is enough of a change that a company really should let customers out of their contracts if they want to cancel for that reason. I know, I know, legally they don't have to, but just as an ethical thing, when you know that some people did the whole thing just to, or primarily to, watch their favorite local sports teams, and then you can't or won't make a deal with the station(s) that carry them to continue carrying them, it seems like a pretty raw deal to hold your customer to a contract for as many as two years.

I know people are saying sports fans don't have Dish Network, but I'm a sports fan, and I have Dish Network. Obviously, I'm not the only one. Sports fans are looking for deals on their television, too, or maybe can't afford their local cable company's or Directv's fees.

I'm not in the NY market, so this doesn't affect me, but I can see when NY sports fans are ticked.

Imagine the BARS that have DIRECTV for their service... and them not being able to show the Yankees games.

I see a lot of bars ripping the dishes off their buildings if this is not resolved.

Imagine the BARS that have DIRECTV for their service... and them not being able to show the Yankees games.

I see a lot of bars ripping the dishes off their buildings if this is not resolved.

Yeah. I am not sure these dish companies always realize the long-term damage they do to themselves when they drop regional sports networks. It's not like dropping some obscure documentary channel. People are intense about their sports, and, as you pointed out, a lot of business accounts as well as personal accounts are predicated on their sports being there. It's the type of thing people will pay a penalty clause to get out of their contract over, or steam the whole time until their contract is up, and leave and say "Never again". There are some channels you can play hardball on and tell your customers "Well, you've got other channels where you can watch documentaries or movies or your local news on", and other channels like an RSN where playing hardball creates permanent churn because people are there to watch their team and won't accept a substitute or risk having it happen to them again even after it's resolved, if it's resolved.

And to lose a baseball team's channel on opening day (or the day after, some teams are opening up today and some are opening up tomorrow). Wow. A lot of baseball fans are going to set themselves up on their couch with their favorite snacks and beverages all excited about watching their team's opener thinking they've got the channel, flip it on, and find it just got disconnected. I'd imagine Dish is going to get a lot of angry calls over this from incensed sports fans. I wouldn't want to be a CSR tomorrow. And imagine those bars trying to deal with baseball fans who've shown up to see the game and then not being able to show it.

It looks like DIRECTV customers will feel the same way on Saturday.

Well, somehow I have a feeling that there's a chance that DirecTV will come to an agreement with YES (after all, one of the selling points of D* vs. E*, at least in the NY area, is that Dish has effectively abandoned the local sports fan). On the flip side, there's absolutely no chance that Dish and YES will agree on a contract.

I'm surprised Charlie hasn't issued a press release citing as one of Dish's advantages that subscribers don't have to worry about losing the YES network. :)

Looks like back to Cable for me. I have had it with all of this crap with Dish. How the hell they are even still in business is beyond me. Every other month we lose something, and they add some BS network like good old Oprahs new channel.

I think the diffrence is going to be, directv will get a last hour deal done..... Dish wont.. Why? because programmers can care less about charlie as he has played his games once too many times. Its time for the guy to step down, and the entire board... What I really think is going on, this is charlies way to downgrade the company for a sell. HDRSN's have been asked for years now. Its not like Charlie has not known that they exist... Hell I asked him myself on a Charlie Chat. Its widely known that Dish is anti sports. They have become a 4th rate provider. Its sad to see as the company could be so much more. Charlie, If you want some one to run your company and get things done right... If you want to make a profit... I'll run it or buy it from you!

I think the diffrence is going to be, directv will get a last hour deal done..... Dish wont..
Possible, although I dont know if DISH wants to get a SNY deal done. They already got rid of all the other NY RSN's they abondoned that market a long time ago.

Besides (and this is a joke...) Mets fans are SMART and wont care if DISH does not carry SNY since they know the Mets season is already over. :D

Possible, although I dont know if DISH wants to get a SNY deal done. They already got rid of all the other NY RSN's they abondoned that market a long time ago.

Besides (and this is a joke...) Mets fans are SMART and wont care if DISH does not carry SNY since they know the Mets season is already over. :D
Don't forget that SNY is also the "Official TV home of UConn Football and UConn Men's Basketball"....:(

Just got the following statement in from DISH Network...

“DISH Network can confirm we are in negotiations with SNY for fair terms to reach an agreement. Due to confidentiality reasons, we cannot comment further on negotiations. It’s important to know that this is normal course of business, as we negotiate hundreds of contracts per year.”

Let's hope that the Wilpon's aren't stupid enough to be trying to double their fees with THIS team they are putting on the field. I'm really hoping Charlie doesn't decide that he is giving up on NY sports completely.

When SNY first came out, it took DISH a week into the baseball season to finally agree to terms with SNY. Hopefully DISH can do the same minus the week :p