SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

There may not even be NFL this fall.... When Billionaires go to war with Millionaires, we are the ones who wind up losing.....

Just got the following statement in from DISH Network...

[/FONT]

Uhhhh Huhh.... And how many times do we see channels being yanked? Maybe dish should change their negotating tatics. It seems like (the majority of the time in my opinion) its done nothing but given them more bad press than good press. Honestly I would love to see dish tout the fact they carry every RSN in HD! I would love to see them stomp on Directv. But when you have two satellite providers whom are making major market mistakes right now and its huring the consumer.

Directv is secure for Dish's mistakes witht he lack of sports programming, and in turn its caused directv to slow down on the national HD as they feel they dont have to add it because of all of the defections from dish and elsewhere. This is not good for the satelltie buisness. Someone needs to make a move, and it looks like the player to do so isnt Dish!

Anyone know how the Verizon's Fios DVRs compare to E*'s on capacity? Can external HDs be added?
I just switched to FIOS, albeit reluctantly, because after all these years the price went up and we had no way of getting the Phillies. We got the whole house DVR and LOVE IT! It can hold somewhere around 60hrs. HD. The new software will enable an external HD up to 1TB for no fee and the other boxes will have the ability to add and delete programming. Right now only the DVR can set passes and delete shows.

We also enjoy having a fully stocked Video On Demand to help with the DVR for now, we had 3 with Dish, but now we don't have to record everything. What really pushed over was the recent price increases, I have the Triple Play for less than I was paying just Dish. And we have YesHD and SNY plus Philadelphia Comcast Sportsnet and MLBHD. I thought I really miss my DVR in each room, but I don't.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound so scary, and I knew it would be a cost savings, especially for the first 2 years.....

How many channels do they have compared to Dish? I liked having that many movie channels. Didn't know if I would have to give up half of them if I went to V* (do they still have West Coast feeds? Also, can they record two shows at once or only one? The whole house DVR sounds like a good idea, but I'm worried about what happens on Thursday nights when there are three good shows on at 8pm.... I used to be able to split duties between 2 DVRs... Am I SOL now?

Islandguy,

I switched to DirecTV, love it, every Sabres Game in glorious HD.

I also have Center Ice, and DirecTV is the only provider that carries next to every Game's home Feed in HD, except for Canadian RSN HD feeds, with Toronto Leaf games a notable exception and carried in HD.

Let's hope that the Wilpon's aren't stupid enough to be trying to double their fees with THIS team they are putting on the field. I'm really hoping Charlie doesn't decide that he is giving up on NY sports completely.

The Mets lost $50,000,000.00 last year. They've got to do something. Not saying raising television rights fees is the way to go, necessarily, but that's a lot of money to be operating at in the red, especially if you don't have some other businesses bringing in a lot of money to pick up the slack.

Meanwhile, Dish Network made a profit of $250,000,000.00 in a single fiscal quarter, and responded by raising rights and cutting channels (in some regions)...

Who's the real bad guy here?

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound so scary, and I knew it would be a cost savings, especially for the first 2 years.....

How many channels do they have compared to Dish? I liked having that many movie channels. Didn't know if I would have to give up half of them if I went to V* (do they still have West Coast feeds? Also, can they record two shows at once or only one? The whole house DVR sounds like a good idea, but I'm worried about what happens on Thursday nights when there are three good shows on at 8pm.... I used to be able to split duties between 2 DVRs... Am I SOL now?
You would have to go to their website and see what packages and channels are available in your area, not as many HD, but I didn't watch more than half of what was on. Also Thursday night if you check the On Demand section, put in the show's name and see what is On Demand and then you don't have to record them, they will be there the day after they air for weeks. Yes on the West coast feeds, but with the movie channels all of the movies and shows are On Demand, you can pull them up at any time to watch, and if you pause you have 24 hrs. to resume from the saved position. Also you can pick up watching from any other box in the house.

I read the thread over in the D* forum, and this thread. I stand amazed at the difference in the two. NO E* trolls at all over in the D* thread, trashing Direct, yet every time E* has contract problems, the D* trolls come over here in droves to bash Charlie. I think some folks from the D* forum really have emotional issues. :yikes ;)

Islandguy,

I switched to DirecTV, love it, every Sabres Game in glorious HD.

I also have Center Ice, , with Toronto Leaf games a notable exception and carried in HD.

Hmmm...that is strange because Time Warner actually has had a number of Leafs Games on NHLCI in HD.....More than I expected anyways. My wife being from Ontario and a Leafy Fan....she wants them all in HD.

The fact that we have none of the local sports in the NY area, and can't even watch the Yankee's on opening day on a major cable network like ESPN, should mean that our bills are much cheaper than cable and D*. Like many threads on this site have stated, D* is much better in the sports dept, and is even cheaper in some situations, and cable in the NY area carries all of the local sports teams in HD, yet Dish network cost about the same. We the customer should be reaping some of the financial benefits of not having any of these channels.

The Mets lost $50,000,000.00 last year. They've got to do something. Not saying raising television rights fees is the way to go, necessarily, but that's a lot of money to be operating at in the red, especially if you don't have some other businesses bringing in a lot of money to pick up the slack.

Meanwhile, Dish Network made a profit of $250,000,000.00 in a single fiscal quarter, and responded by raising rights and cutting channels (in some regions)...

Who's the real bad guy here?

Oh, of course, making a profit from running a business is definitely bad. Very very bad. Making a profit to then invest in new satellites, newer DVR's, and get about the most HD channels than anyone else, is much worse than losing money and not being able to field a first rate team. :rolleyes:

Oh, of course, making a profit from running a business is definitely bad. Very very bad. Making a profit to then invest in new satellites, newer DVR's, and get about the most HD channels than anyone else, is much worse than losing money and not being able to field a first rate team. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying, when you rake in the big profits and then raise rates and cut people's favorite channels because of money disputes, people have a hard time seeing you as a knight in shining armor. It would be a different story if they were playing hardball with these channels and losing them in some cases so that they could operate on razor-thin profit margins and cut consumer bills, but that's not what's going on. I'm not saying they're a horrible company or anything, I just don't see the need to take their side in their constant programming disputes with channels. If they pass the savings on to me, alright, but they use them to pad their profit margins.

And their HD isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. If you're a sports fan, you often don't get your favorite team's games in HD, even if you get the regular channel they're on in the first place (Which as this thread demonstrates isn't every region), and sports is the number one driver of HD adoption. Also, if your credit isn't perfect or can't be verified, you don't get HD at all. They can talk about having the most channels in HD, but if it's not what you want to watch (i.e. stuff like the Oprah channel in HD -- who cares?), or they don't give you HD equipment in the first place, it's pretty much irrelevant. I'm actually kind of sick of hearing about Dish's great HD lineup, it's not so great, and they didn't give it to me, so what do I care? It's more annoying hearing about it than anything else, honestly. They should really call it "Free HD for Life -- if we think you're good enough".

The cable company has all sorts of problems- high prices, poor service, generally acting like a monopoly, bills that skyrocket after misleading introductory rates, penalties for not bundling, etc.--, but one thing they don't do is advertise free HD for Life and then not give it to certain customers. Discriminating against certain classes of customers is an aggravating business practice, especially if you're in that class. At least as far as I'm aware, if you pay your bill, you're eligible for any service the cable companies offer -- no credit checks, etc.. Dish advertises offers that are implicitly for everyone and then in itty bitty letters say "Except maybe you.". I'm not saying Dish is worse than cable, or Directv, but increasingly I'm coming to the conclusion that all of the average person's options when it come to television suck in different ways -- and it's basically up to us to keep churning to the best offer we can get at any given time to make our experience suck the least amount possible.

Last edited:
Again, to you operating on razor thin profits is good, large profits bad. A sure demise if that is how all businesses ran. I again point out the HUGE cost of upgrading, sending satellites into space, adding channels, etc... etc... How would that be possible on a razor thin profit?

And I do 100% defend the HD Dish provides, it's one of the top reasons I have Dish. I want as many national channels in HD as possible. What I don't want is NY (Or LA, etc..,) RSN's added if it makes MY bill go up when I can not even watch those teams, even with a sports pack addiiton.
Further, with the advent of Direct now possibly dropping YES, and Charter only now adding SNY, don't you see the handwriting is on the wall? It can't go on the way it is structured.

The RSN's have to be an add on. But they know when you see how much you would have to pay, ( and it will be way more than the $2.20) people will not be happy, and I'm betting many would not subscribe. Either that, or they would lower the price to a more reasonable amount.
Making Dish the bad guy because they can run a business and make a profit (without being a leader in Sports by the way) is looking at this wrong, Imho.
(I did say above Dish I feel does have the moral duty to allow customers to leave or get a discount if Dish stops carrying an RSN for good, or over a certain period of time)

Raising programming rates and receiver fees while cutting channels (esp. popular local RSNs such as MSG, MSG+, and probably SNY) can be profitable in the short term. But how is it D* charges pretty much the same prices, offers all of the RSNs, and manages to make money?

And IMHO those who lose a local RSN should be able to opt out of their contract. Losing MSG and SNY permanently is a lot different than losing Disney HD or losing FX for a few weeks.

jrbdmb said:
Raising programming rates and receiver fees while cutting channels (esp. popular local RSNs such as MSG, MSG+, and probably SNY) can be profitable in the short term. But how is it D* charges pretty much the same prices, offers all of the RSNs, and manages to make money?

And IMHO those who lose a local RSN should be able to opt out of their contract. Losing MSG and SNY permanently is a lot different than losing Disney HD or losing FX for a few weeks.

In your opinion. If someone really cares about <<insert random HD tv channel>> then it's importance to that individual can be just as much as an RSN to you. So what your argument amounts to is that someone should be able to get out of a contract anytime they lose programming that is really important to them.

Not going to happen because of the significant up front costs the satellite companies invest in equipment and installation for new subs. If people don't want to be stuck with contracts, but all your own equipment. Then you can leave any time and resell the equipment to recover some of your costs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

SNY is gone. The only info I got was the normal too expensive to carry but we are going to continue to try to get it back.

Sent from my EVO using SatelliteGuys

SNY is gone. The only info I got was the normal too expensive to carry but we are going to continue to try to get it back.

Sent from my EVO using SatelliteGuys

I have an honest question for you. What did you think or want Dish to say? The fact is they ARE in negotiations, and they DO think the price keeps escalating....and they ARE going to continue to get it back.

I'm guessing this will not drag on and on. I say that because I don't think SNY can afford to lose the income from Dish, unlike YES and MSG. And dish has certainly proven they will go without and take their chances, which so far has worked.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts