SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

Yes I know the blackout rule. If I sign up for MLB it would be with a different provider. I don't think DISH even offers it. Or maybe I could sign with DIREC in Florida and then move back to NY. Not sure how that works with them.

no just see them 90 minutes later (but can get radio version) also away games are not blacked out..if u have an IPHONE (or android) ap nuthing gets blacked out cus they dont know where u are

Sure they do, doesn't evey phone now have GPS? Not baseball but, I have NHL GamerCenter Live for Android which allows you to view any and every hockey games live and most of the time with home & away feeds. In order to use it the GPS must be enabled so it can blackout any local teams. But like everything in life there are ways around the 'law'. I downloaded a Location Spoofer app and tell the GPS I'm located in Alaska so I can watch my Sabres on my phone when need be.

Anyhow, back to the Mets. They're not to happy with Stewie :D

Mocking ‘Family Guy’ bit works way into Mets broadcast - Big League Stew - MLB Blog - Yahoo! Sports

If Dish won't even care about the sports fans in the number one market in the United States, the clock is ticking for the rest of us. I'm saying this loud and clear, the only way that there will be no NESN in my home is if I choose not to subscribe to pay tv, so should Dish drop NESN, I drop Dish. That statement must hold true for the Buffalo and NYC markets concerning MSG, YES, & SNY.

However, Dish could be trying to corner these RSNs into accepting A La Carte. I can see why Dish would want that (people see how much each network actually costs), but I can't see where Dish would succeed, cable/ISPTV/DirecTV carry all of these and people can simply switch providers. (And I absolutely believe that YES and DirecTV will reach a deal.)

If u have an IPHONE (or android) ap nuthing gets blacked out cus they dont know where u are
Wish that was true. iPhone MLB app checks your GPS location before letting you watch a game. If it can't figure out where you are, you can't watch any games - which can be a pain when the GPS isn't working.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, but if you're suggesting that the thread be closed:
If the current thread is left open, no new thread will have to be started when the situation with SNY changes. Threads tend to die on their own if left alone.

That's funny, channels tend to die on their own with Dish Network also.:)

Wish that was true. iPhone MLB app checks your GPS location before letting you watch a game. If it can't figure out where you are, you can't watch any games - which can be a pain when the GPS isn't working.
guess it must be an android thingy (Verizon network is different"

A CSR just told me we should be getting SNY back real soon but that was after he told me that MSG and MSG+ were back on DISH! I'm not holding my breath!!

edpkp81 said:
A CSR just told me we should be getting SNY back real soon but that was after he told me that MSG and MSG+ were back on DISH! I'm not holding my breath!!

For some reason I don't believe this at all

Dish just might as well let SNY go as well. I mean it's the only RSN at this point on E*, and if you think about it, how many people are ONLY Mets fans (that's all SNY carries right?) AND would be willing to subcribe to a service that only has SNY for an RSN?

I'm a Mets and Giants fan. I LIKE that the other teams don't get my money as I don't watch them. Losing the Mets hurts (even if we are like Stewie from Family Guy and have to root for a team that gives us nothing in return)

If Dish won't even care about the sports fans in the number one market in the United States, the clock is ticking for the rest of us. I'm saying this loud and clear, the only way that there will be no NESN in my home is if I choose not to subscribe to pay tv, so should Dish drop NESN, I drop Dish. That statement must hold true for the Buffalo and NYC markets concerning MSG, YES, & SNY.

However, Dish could be trying to corner these RSNs into accepting A La Carte. I can see why Dish would want that (people see how much each network actually costs), but I can't see where Dish would succeed, cable/ISPTV/DirecTV carry all of these and people can simply switch providers. (And I absolutely believe that YES and DirecTV will reach a deal.)

Years ago, when "SportsChannel" carried the Met games for Cablevision, I had to pay $12 a month for one channel. $2.30 is a bargain. If they go a la carte, the price will quintuple and they won't make as much revenue as they will when they sell it at a 80% discount to everyone (but make it mandatory for most everyone in that scenario for all but the most basic channel tiers)

Years ago, when "SportsChannel" carried the Met games for Cablevision, I had to pay $12 a month for one channel. $2.30 is a bargain. If they go a la carte, the price will quintuple and they won't make as much revenue as they will when they sell it at a 80% discount to everyone (but make it mandatory for most everyone in that scenario for all but the most basic channel tiers)
And that's the problem. RSNs (and all cable channels for that matter, including ESPN, CNN, FoxNews and the other expensive ones) know they make far more money being in a basic package than with a-la-carte. At one point some RSNs such as KBL (Pittsburgh), Prism (Philly), and Prime Ticket (L.A.) were premium channels, but these are all gone.

A separate $10 "NY Sports" package with YES / SNY / MSG would be great for consumers, but will never happen.

What's really disturbing is that the CSR's have no clue what is going on. They are so tightly scripted that they dont bother to check further. I was on a 1/2 hour long chat on Saturday with a CSR trying to explain to them that I'm paying the same rate for service as everyone else in the US for DN programminig and I'm missing all of my RSN's. The best they offered was 1 free month of Cinemax or $5 off my bill for one month...and that was from customer retention after I asked them if they really wanted to keep me as a customer. They obviously dont.

Well the fact they offered u anything says something. Channels can change at anytime. They don't have to offer anything. They can't give out info on negotiations so scripting is so they stay consistent. And they give you the most accurate information.

I just want to comment on the whole "channels can change at any time" clause that comes up frequently. I know we all agreed to that (willingly or not) when we signed up. But I think the spirit of that clause is a channel that maybe gets swapped out for another or maybe folds or maybe for whatever reason is no longer as attractive. In this case though where you are talking about no NY sports you're now talking about a whole category of programming going away. To me this is much more of a material change to the services originally agreed upon.

I wish we knew something new about whats going one here with the talks. How far apart or how close would be nice to know. Is anyone even talking? I was planning on giving this a couple of weeks to play out but it's getting fustrating. If there are no Mets, I would need to move on.

At least in the Direct forum, Scott passed along a little news saying that D* and YES are still trying to work things out. Sure, that's not much but it was almost something. Only 2 more days to go on that one.

I for one did not see this one coming at all. Heck, we were even getting HD games! I thought all was well then they hit us in the gut just as the season starts. My options are very poor. Here, TWC has the worst HD picture quality and I don't feel like a new contract with D*. I have tons of stuff on my 3 EHD's that I would need to say goodbye to. Like the Mets, I feel like I just lost on opening day.

Don't hold your breath for it to come back. Dish doesn't carry any other locals for NY, so I don't think it will phase them to lose SNY. Also waiting to hear some news on the MSG and Disney channels that we lost. Those two disputes have been going on for months, and who knows if they are even still talking.

I wonder what is going on with the bills of people who are paying for AT120+ in the New York area. That package is AT120 plus an extra $5 a month for local RSNs, but now Dish carries none in that region. Do you think those people are going to be automatically dropped to AT120 pricing levels, or will Dish keep merrily charging them $5 extra a month for nothing unless they call to manually change it?

On a different note, this thread makes me curious about whether Dish contracts have ever been challenged in court by people wanting to get out of them due to programming changes or price increases. I mean, I know the language is there that Dish can basically do anything it wants programming wise and people are still bound by the contract, but I wonder if "We can do whatever we want and you have to pay" is really something that is legally binding. There are certain things that people can't contract people to. I mean, you've got to think that if Dish suddenly said "We're giving you one channel only and your cost is now $6,000 a month", a court would throw that out even though it's technically allowable as per the terms of the contract. I wonder where the line is.

I addressed this with a former Judge and posted about it some time ago, I think during the Linn negotiations. For what it's worth very basically what he said is;

Commons sense there is a limit to their expressed statement of being able to add or reduce channels, carry or not carry channels. Think of it this way. If they decide not to pay for USA is that ok? If it is, is that the same as deciding not to pay for USA, and then not to pay for any of the discovery channels? Probably not, that is quite a drop in popular channels. If you just got Dish service, and say, five days later learn they are going to drop them, are you stuck? Maybe, but maybe not. His point was there is a point to where they are not living up to A contract with you of any reasonable kind, not just not living up to this contact. Only a judge could determine when they cross that threshold.

I wonder what is going on with the bills of people who are paying for AT120+ in the New York area. That package is AT120 plus an extra $5 a month for local RSNs, but now Dish carries none in that region. Do you think those people are going to be automatically dropped to AT120 pricing levels, or will Dish keep merrily charging them $5 extra a month for nothing unless they call to manually change it?

Do you really think Dish would just drop someone's bill because of that reason? ;)
Also there might be folks with the multi-sports pack added on too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)