SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

The only thing I watched on SNY was some SU basketball. I miss MSG because of the Sabres. Tired of watching them over the net on the computer. Won't drop Dish, but am considering picking up TYW cable here in the Rochester area. Anyone know what the basic teir that has MSG runs per month?

I watch SU basketball on SNY also and would drop Dish but I can also get SU games on MASN, with sports pak so am good still until Dish drops MASN next negotiation time.

The only thing I watched on SNY was some SU basketball. I miss MSG because of the Sabres. Tired of watching them over the net on the computer. Won't drop Dish, but am considering picking up TYW cable here in the Rochester area. Anyone know what the basic teir that has MSG runs per month?

They are gonna nail you, unless you can get a winback promotion etc. In buffalo, I believe the only way you get MSG is if you take the standard basic, which runs my dad about $55 a month. Its not available on the broadcast basic, unless perhaps it is in QAM Digital. I have a TV in my kitchen hooked up without a set top box, and I can get the Sabres version of MSG in HD on that TV in QAM, but I generally have to do a digital channel search to find the broadcast every game. You might be cheaper just subbing to a lower end Directv package.

They are gonna nail you, unless you can get a winback promotion etc. In buffalo, I believe the only way you get MSG is if you take the standard basic, which runs my dad about $55 a month. .

That's not bad. About what I expected. Since I already pay about $17 over the regular price of RR since I have the broadcast basic, that would be less than $40 more than I'm paying now. I'm not going to add Direct because I'm not going to drop Dish. I'll most probably wait till the fall, just before hockey season.

That's not bad. About what I expected. Since I already pay about $17 over the regular price of RR since I have the broadcast basic, that would be less than $40 more than I'm paying now. I'm not going to add Direct because I'm not going to drop Dish. I'll most probably wait till the fall, just before hockey season.

If you do have a HDTV with a QAM turner....you will pick up the HD Broadcast with the Standard Basic....BUT you will just have to search for it each game...because it keeps moving to slightly different channel...like in my case....last sunday it was on channel 86.1749.

I think it's too soon to say that. But the more time goes by, the more it looks like never. The only encouraging thing I have seen, and it's not much, is that Dish moved channels from 61.5 to 72, and SNY made the move. So at least, unlike MSG, it is still listed as hidden.

If you do have a HDTV with a QAM turner....you will pick up the HD Broadcast with the Standard Basic....BUT you will just have to search for it each game...because it keeps moving to slightly different channel...like in my case....last sunday it was on channel 86.1749.

Yes, I have QAM on all 4 of my HDTV's. I tried the scan the last time you mentioned it, but no go on Finger Lakes TW. I found a link to a p2p site that specializes in sports.
I was able to watch the blacked out Bills games on my computer and most Sabres games. I'll keep an eye out for any specials. Not interested in TW phone since we use Vonage and pay about $26/mo for 500 minutes and we never come close to that.

So is the genereal concensus that SNY is going to go the way of MSG and just "never come back?"

It would be nice to know if Dish is even still in negotiations with MSG. How's it going with Disney and that dispute? Last I heard they are trying very hard??? I think they should put this on Nancy Grace as missing in action, and we might as well include SNY, because we wont see that channel any time soon.

GO FOR CABLE OR D* FOR SPORTS.

Last edited:
I dont think they are talking with msg anymore.

However the disney thing has nothing to do with negotations with disney. Its a lawsuit in which a judge has ruled in dishs favor, but noter disney is appealing the ruling.

So I was told by CS yesterday to email the president of Dish Network... I knew this would get me no where but I did it anyway. In the email I stated that they could go and spend 320 million dollars on a dead company like Blockbuster but can't even keep RSN up and running.

The reply I got was of course generic, but its hilarious how they tried to use the phrase "in these tough economic times" and with RSN wanting more money etc.... yea some tough economic times when your company can spend that much on Blockbuster!

considering Dish pays the same for the HD feed if they show it 100% of the time or 0% that "RSN wanting more money" is bull.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting between Dish and Disney. "What? Your customers' children want to watch Hannah Montana? Well that's going to cost you $X. What? They want to see it in HD? Well now the price goes up for the same channel: 1 SD and 1 HD.
considering Dish pays the same for the HD feed if they show it 100% of the time or 0% that "RSN wanting more money" is bull.
Iceberg you're 100% correct.
The reply I got was of course generic, but its hilarious how they tried to use the phrase "in these tough economic times" and with RSN wanting more money etc.... yea some tough economic times when your company can spend that much on Blockbuster!
I really don't have a wise remark that sounds like I'm defending dish, but actually am agreeing with you. So, you're also 100% right.

I can confirm this is true for CSN Chicago. I wrote to CSN Chicago a couple of weeks ago because when the Bulls were playing the T'Wolves, the CSN Chicago feed of the game on Dish Network was only in SD and I was questioning how CSN was doing their SD feed. During the game, there were multiple times that when a quick 3 point shot was shot at the right hand basket on the screen, you didn't see the full player release the shot. The response I got was that CSN Chicago only sends a single 16x9 HD feed to Dish (and their other distributors), then it is Dish that downcoverts the CSN Chicago HD signal down to SD for distribution. I always thought there were two feeds, one in HD and one SD, but that is not the case for CSN Chicago. They only have an HD feed that is 4:3 safe and the individual distributors downcovert to make the SD feed.

Article from NY Times - There appears to be little hope of a deal anytime soon.

Not promising news. In this article it states, that in the dispute between DishNetwork and SNY, "there appears to be little hope of a deal anytime soon. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/08/sports/baseball/08sportsbriefs-yes.html

I'm not in contract and have been a long time loyal DishNetwork customer and would perfer to stay with them. The lack of full time RSN's and now no-time RSN's in the nation's largest market should tell the rest of you where Dish is heading and it's all down hill for them. I've given them until 4/30 and then I order DirecTV. I'll get: instead of 0 RSN's that if on would only be in HD for games, 3 full time HD RSN's (SNY, MSG & YES), Sunday Ticket and 3 3D channels. You know what Dish? Don't get SNY back because the more I look the more I like DirecTV.

I can confirm this is true for CSN Chicago. I wrote to CSN Chicago a couple of weeks ago because when the Bulls were playing the T'Wolves, the CSN Chicago feed of the game on Dish Network was only in SD and I was questioning how CSN was doing their SD feed. During the game, there were multiple times that when a quick 3 point shot was shot at the right hand basket on the screen, you didn't see the full player release the shot. The response I got was that CSN Chicago only sends a single 16x9 HD feed to Dish (and their other distributors), then it is Dish that downcoverts the CSN Chicago HD signal down to SD for distribution. I always thought there were two feeds, one in HD and one SD, but that is not the case for CSN Chicago. They only have an HD feed that is 4:3 safe and the individual distributors downcovert to make the SD feed.

It depends on the broadcast but I guess they assume that providers will show the HD feed. I know with the Twins broadcasts its in HD but a SD receiver sees it 16:9 with black bars on top and bottom but other feeds just chop the sides off which gives you the results you mention

Not promising news. In this article it states, that in the dispute between DishNetwork and SNY, "there appears to be little hope of a deal anytime soon. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/08/sports/baseball/08sportsbriefs-yes.html

Unfortunate, but not a surprise. Dish has pretty much written off competing in the nations largest DMA, hoping to get a few subs who are willing to pay about the same as for D* or cable but get no local sports, perhaps to get one of the few HD channels that D* doesn't have yet.

I have also been shopping D* and cable, and the prices are pretty close to Dish, and they do have the local sports teams in HD. It kind of makes me wonder why Dish is so expensive when the others are priced equally and have the local RSN's. I just wish I hadn't upgraded one of my receivers about 8 months back. I unfortunately signed the dreaded 2 year contract. I know my local cable company runs promo's sometimes where they pay the ETF of a Sat company if you switch, so I will be looking out for that, and switch ASAP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)