So I finally got one!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
A free satellite dish that is!. Its a channelmaster 84E dish. I have seen this dish for years, I was walking home today and I saw the dish on the floor and I asked them if they weren't using it anymore they said no. I asked if I can have it they said yes. Even though I only had to walk 1 block the dish is heavy!. Because it was in one piece with dish and the pole. At the moment I have a 36in fortec with SG2100 on it. I was wondering if the SG2100 can support this beast of a dish?

cosmo did you really tote that thing with the pole still on it? Must've been tough,especially if it had a chunk of concrete on it, lol. Good find though. You can make your own bracket to hold that dish to the motor shaft and lose a lot of weight, 2100 should handle it ok. Here's a picture of mine, with some simple bracket material from the hardware store, a muffler clamp and a conduit hanger.

Attachments

• 00009.jpg
    00009.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 241
Turbosat,
I see something in your motor bracket I always wondered about: Can you set the bracket "declination angle" [if that's the right term] and also use the bracket to set the dish elevation and have it still track the arc correctly, or are you just fortunate enough to live where both angles are the same? I hope you can follow the question, I'm not sure I'm wording it right. Sorry Cosmo I don't mean to hijack your thread, great find on the 84E, I use mine for Hispasat and it booms in.
ss

P* Bracket

Just turn the bracket upside down and use PVC pipe (slit) to adapt the sg2100 to it.
Stab 90 drives it well, SG2100 no problemo. Had mine working for years like this.

Turbosat,
I see something in your motor bracket I always wondered about: Can you set the bracket "declination angle" [if that's the right term] and also use the bracket to set the dish elevation and have it still track the arc correctly, or are you just fortunate enough to live where both angles are the same? I hope you can follow the question, I'm not sure I'm wording it right. Sorry Cosmo I don't mean to hijack your thread, great find on the 84E, I use mine for Hispasat and it booms in.
ss
I have a homemade bracket on my 90cm P* dish. What I did was first set it up without the motor and measured the angle on the front of the dish once I found my true south and had it peaked. I then used this angle when attaching the dish to the new mount with the motor. It took very little time to find my true south then and it also tracked the arc perfectly.

But it took a lot of experimentation before I figured that out!

edit - Here are a couple pics of my mount.

Attachments

• 2009_0505DishMount1.JPG
    2009_0505DishMount1.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 2009_0505DishMount2.JPG
    2009_0505DishMount2.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
An outstanding solution Larobpra, I can clearly see you have separate adjustments for dec and el, what threw me was that it looks like Turbosat is using his motor bracket to adjust both, I didn't think it would track a full arc that way, might lop off extreme east and west.
ss

cosmo did you really tote that thing with the pole still on it? Must've been tough,especially if it had a chunk of concrete on it, lol. Good find though. You can make your own bracket to hold that dish to the motor shaft and lose a lot of weight, 2100 should handle it ok. Here's a picture of mine, with some simple bracket material from the hardware store, a muffler clamp and a conduit hanger.

I did carry it home with the pole still on it. Thankfully there was no concrete on it. Too bad it didn't come with any mounting bracket, this was drilled onto the brick of their house. I did remove the dish from the pole its much lighter now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)