Please reply by conversation.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
So I got a new HR20 tonight (old one had hard drive issues)
I got home tonight, opened it up, removed my old HR 20, replaced the old on, went thru the steps to set up .... as I've done many times before.
Now I'm stuck, as it won't go any farther, says once this step is complete (and it is) Call D* and well move on to the next step.

Since when can we not set them up without thier services now ?
I know I would need to call to get programming authorized from old recvr to the new one, but I've always been able to set it up and get the normal channels that are clear and then call .....

Anyways to get to my point.
I have recordings that I was expecting to have going at 8 and 9 pm tonight and when I called ion, they told me they were updating thier systems and would not be available for 2-3 more hours.

Well, now I have NO TV to watch tonight, instead of getting all my programming and series links back in place, I SIT here.

Is there any way to get around all this, signal is great, all I'm doing is swapping out recvrs.
I hooked everything up and I'm ready to go.

Is the WHOLE country affected by this or just the location that I happened to call ?

Third time was a charm, I'm back up and running :)

Also, I have been using A Seagate 750 External Hard drive.

Once I got everything back up and running I went to reset all my Series Links and start with my recordings again.

To my surprise, the Series Links and the RECORDING are ALL still there !!!!!

Normally in the past you would have the hard drive be reformatted when swapping units.

A D* rep I spoke with last week mentioned that they were working on making it so you can connect to another recvr and not have it reformat everything .....

Seems it's already working :)

Great work D*, Great Idea :up

Anyone else want to try doing this to verify it wasn't a fluke thing ?

Jimbo

To my surprise, the Series Links and the RECORDING are ALL still there !!!!!

Normally in the past you would have the hard drive be reformatted when swapping units.

Its been that way awhile. What may not be so good is that you probably wont be able to play most of the recordings. OTA stuff should play fine, but I dont think any satellite content will play.

Crazy thing I'd like to try is taking a show that wont play on a replacement receiver and seeing if it'll play via MRV. Probably not.

Its been that way awhile. What may not be so good is that you probably wont be able to play most of the recordings. OTA stuff should play fine, but I dont think any satellite content will play.

Crazy thing I'd like to try is taking a show that wont play on a replacement receiver and seeing if it'll play via MRV. Probably not.

I only have a few things that were recorded via sat, but I will check them now and get back here in a few.

Edit:
cfb,
You are correct sir.
It says "Searching for authorized content"
However, the OTA stuff DOES play and that as it turns out is about 80 % of what I record anyways ...
So, I may as well delete anything recorded from the sat then.

Wow, thats great that so much of your stuff will carry over.

The OTA stuff is mpeg2 encoded by the local station and broadcast, and thats written directly to the disk. The access card and directv encryption is never used for that, so its receiver agnostic.

For the sat stuff, the directv transmitted mpeg2/4 is written encoded with the receivers access card info, so only the original receiver that recorded it can decode it.

Bummer they cant make esata content transportable. It'd really make a lot of things better. I regularly see people saying "I'm having this problem with the receiver, but I have so much stuff on my esata that I dont want to replace it. I'll just live with it.". Thats gotta result in a loss of customer satisfaction.

Wow, thats great that so much of your stuff will carry over.

The OTA stuff is mpeg2 encoded by the local station and broadcast, and thats written directly to the disk. The access card and directv encryption is never used for that, so its receiver agnostic.

For the sat stuff, the directv transmitted mpeg2/4 is written encoded with the receivers access card info, so only the original receiver that recorded it can decode it.

Bummer they cant make esata content transportable. It'd really make a lot of things better. I regularly see people saying "I'm having this problem with the receiver, but I have so much stuff on my esata that I dont want to replace it. I'll just live with it.". Thats gotta result in a loss of customer satisfaction.

What the HD tech department guy I was talking about was talking about being able to move your EHD to different units in the future, so it may be doable in the future.

What the HD tech department guy I was talking about was talking about being able to move your EHD to different units in the future, so it may be doable in the future.

It would be nice to have it encrypted to account info instead of receiver/smart card since that would let you move the drive to a replacement receiver.

This was possible with the E* ViP receivers, I had to replace one twice and recordings on the external drive were still viewable on the replacement. I did have to redo scheduler on each replacement though.

Not having to redo the scheduler is a definite plus for the HR series. :up

It would be nice to have it encrypted to account info instead of receiver/smart card since that would let you move the drive to a replacement receiver.

This was possible with the E* ViP receivers, I had to replace one twice and recordings on the external drive were still viewable on the replacement. I did have to redo scheduler on each replacement though.

Not having to redo the scheduler is a definite plus for the HR series. :up

I think they can do this, or could do this possibly soon.
Don't know why they can't just set it up to use the particular CAM ID that your going to ... of course you would have to inform them that you are using a EHD ahead of time, at that point they could have it accessible to all AC's on your account.

It is probably currently a small software program that does it, I'm sure if there rewrote the code to NOT reformat after the initial EHD set up, it should work.
They could even have a screen asking if you want to do a re format, much like the Card Replacement program built into the menu's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts