SO I scored a couple Primestar Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Liquidforce88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
The Land Of OZ
Ok I scored a couple Primestar dishes today. One is the regular Primestar dish that I have seen all over the place. THe other one is huge and has 1 meter stamped on it.

I figure I can use the one for my Glorystar system. What could I use that 1 meter for? What satelite would get me the most english programs?

Unless you motorize it, you won't get a lot of English programming. 123W was our old choice, but that pretty much went bankrupt. You might look at 101W, with History and Biography. Both are good looking channels worthy of attention. Or you might like RTV on 83W , very entertaining old series. SEE, You need a motor ! :)
Sadoun would love you to buy a DG-380 . I'm going to get another eventually for my 1M dish .
:)

Hey L-Force!....... Good find dude!.
How did you get them? I have been looking for one for a long time.

I see these old things all the time. Was never really intrested in them before. Now I am playing with this FTA stuff, so I figured I would try to get me some.

First day out today and I find 2 of them. The regular one was at an old abondoned house, so I stoped and grabed that dude and the pole too :)

The one meter I saw behind a trailer. Stoped knocked on the door and asked If I could have it. Pair of wire cutters and a 1/2" ratchet wrench and that baby was mine in 1 min.

I live in an area with alot of rural places. These old Primestar systems were pretty popular around here back in the day. I would say if I keep my eyes open I could have a dozen of them by the end of the week :D

That's a nice haul, those old primestar dishes are hard to beat. I have 5 of them, 2 elliptical, 2 one meter and a .90m. Fine job on fta signals.

The regular one was at an old abondoned house, so I stoped and grabed that dude and the pole too :)

I am waiting for the final okay and "go ahead" on 4 more - 3 eliptical and a 1 meter. :up I will not remove any of them until I get the green light so I do not get the red light and an officer knocking at my door! ;)

The regular one was at an old abondoned house, so I stoped and grabed that dude and the pole too :)

One I found is at a abandoned house too and I cannot locate the owner! :eek:
Not too long ago a local guy had a new roof put on his house which had a super dish on it which was taken off. It was just laying there and when I finally found the owner he said, "It is trashed now, you should of grabbed it!" I think that this one Primestar might meet the same fate if I do not do something soon! A Primestar is a real treasure compared to a superdish! Maybe sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do?!?!?! :confused:

Attachments

• always ask the homeowner first.gif
    always ask the homeowner first.gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 211
Guys we are not talking about an empty house here. I am talking about a house sitting back in the woods. Falling down abandoned, second floor is now laying on the first floor and the roof is almost gone. No one has been in this house in atleast ten years, as I drive by this place all the time.

I just never noticed the dish before because I was not looking for them.

To make you all feel better, I picked up two more units today. Both people were home and said I could have them. Unfortunatly one of them is damaged, so I guess I have a spare backing plate now.

good haul:

I picked up two more units today.
Unfortunatly one of them is damaged, so I guess I have a spare backing plate now.
Parts is parts. Never know when you'll get a good dish with no mount!
(depending on the damage, some members have used JB Weld and reparied cracked dishes)

Post a picture or two, and really make the troops jealous. - :rolleyes:

Ok so after having a couple hours to play with one of these dishes, I am a bit bummed with my results. I was using just one of the regular Dishes not the 1 meter. I was trying to modify it so I could do the Glorystar system.

So with lots of measurement I am sure that the LNB's are in the same location as the original. I was only able to get signal on one LNB, and very low at that. So I made a couple more modifications and was able to lock onto AMC4 with good signal, but no better than what I was able to get with my modified 1000.4. But atleast with the 1000.4 I was able to get both AMC4 and Galaxy 19.

So is the Primestar basically only able to get 1 satellite at a time? From what I can tell thats what it is. Would I have more luck with the 1 meter getting both satellite's? It will be more to modify that 1 meter, but I think it can be done.

skew

Ok so after having a couple hours to play with one of these dishes, I am a bit bummed with my results. I was using just one of the regular Dishes not the 1 meter. I was trying to modify it so I could do the Glorystar system.

So with lots of measurement I am sure that the LNB's are in the same location as the original. I was only able to get signal on one LNB, and very low at that. So I made a couple more modifications and was able to lock onto AMC4 with good signal, but no better than what I was able to get with my modified 1000.4. But atleast with the 1000.4 I was able to get both AMC4 and Galaxy 19.

So is the Primestar basically only able to get 1 satellite at a time? From what I can tell thats what it is. Would I have more luck with the 1 meter getting both satellite's? It will be more to modify that 1 meter, but I think it can be done.

You need to be able to skew a dish to get more than 1 sat at a time. There is a mod to do that using an E* dish mount & adapting it. It's somewhere in the FTA area about the mod.

Status
Please reply by conversation.