So I stopped by Best Buy today

landlocked

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Columbus, OH
It's funny to hear the "HD experts" at the local Best Buy help answer questions. I learned, by way of an associate helping someone next to me, that 1080i only has 540 lines of resolution while 1080p has 1080. I was mislead all this time!

I asked another associate how the red/blu player sales had been going. He rattled something off about sales last week being 97% blue. He must have been trying to reference disc sales publicized last week.

Also worth noting is that they didn't have ANY players in stock, blue or red, except for the new Panasonic Blu-Ray player (forget the model number) that supposedly has the full 1.1 final spec. Disc shelf space, as expected, was about 60/40 in favor of blue.

Landlocked

Yeah, nothing makes me laugh more than listening to sales reps at places like BB or CC. :D

Or being told how the HD war will end from the kid at Hollywood Video... :)

It's funny to hear the "HD experts" at the local Best Buy help answer questions. I learned, by way of an associate helping someone next to me, that 1080i only has 540 lines of resolution while 1080p has 1080. I was mislead all this time!

I asked another associate how the red/blu player sales had been going. He rattled something off about sales last week being 97% blue. He must have been trying to reference disc sales publicized last week.

Also worth noting is that they didn't have ANY players in stock, blue or red, except for the new Panasonic Blu-Ray player (forget the model number) that supposedly has the full 1.1 final spec. Disc shelf space, as expected, was about 60/40 in favor of blue.

Landlocked

Hey guys don't mean to be funny here or anything, but does not 1080i have 540 lines per field. I thought it was interlaced, 540 field one odd lines, 540 field 2 even lines. I mean if you have a flat screen TV it really would not matter because LCD and Plasma are progressive displays. But I think technically he was right. 1080P then would be 1080 lines per field, I would assume 1080P would be twice the data as 1080i.

Hey guys don't mean to be funny here or anything, but does not 1080i have 540 lines per field. I thought it was interlaced, 540 field one odd lines, 540 field 2 even lines. I mean if you have a flat screen TV it really would not matter because LCD and Plasma are progressive displays. But I think technically he was right. 1080P then would be 1080 lines per field, I would assume 1080P would be twice the data as 1080i.

Hope this clears it up for you

Home Theater: 1080i v. 1080p

HDMI Cable

Bestbuy BOGO HDDVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)