So is Dish now officially the HD leader?

My home System is as Follows

Classic 250 Gold HD DVR. Is $77.99 ( Includes my 622 1 room HD 1 room SD DVRs service and local channels)
Addtional Vip 722k $12( includes DVR and Lease Fee) 1 room HD 1 room SD DVR
Addtional Vip 211k $7 1 room HD
Protection plan $6
HBO $11
KTLA $1.50
$115.49

Directv The same setup would be
$75.99 for HD/DVR pack
$20 for 4 Addtional receivers
$15 for HBO
$6 for Protection Plan
$116.99

It would cost me $1 more for D*and I wouldn't get
  1. Encore HD
  2. Encore West
  3. Encore Action
  4. Encore Drama
  5. Encore Love
  6. Encore Mystery
  7. Encore Wam
  8. Encore Westerns
  9. Hallmark Movie Channel HD
  10. Lifetime HD
  11. Lifetime Movie HD
  12. Travel HD
  13. WGN HD
  14. HBO comedy HD
  15. HBO 2 HD
  16. HBO Signature HD
  17. HBO Family HD
  18. HBO Zone HD
  19. ESPNU
  20. Fox Soccer
  21. Outdoor
  22. TMC West
  23. TMC Xtra West
  24. Travel HD
  25. KTLA.
So Yes D* is Clearly not the Bargin for me.
25 less channels then E* is giving me ,

and D* would be $1 dollar more per month,But D* would give me
Fuel HD
MLB HD
NBA HD
NHL HD,
LOGO
The 101 HD

Now With HD Platinum thats only $9 extra , Because I get $1 Off HBO now because Platinum counts as a Premium and that 4 premiums for $40 per month.
That Gives me
NBA HD
NHL HD
CI HD
Mav HD
FTV HD
Universal HD
Bet Jazz HD
LOGO HD
HDNet Movies HD
MGM HD
WFN HD
For a E* total of $124.49

Last edited:
Hemi, that is a good comparison, and shows how close they both really are when it comes to price. Of course you get a few channels with E* that you wouldnt get if you switched. The only thing I would point out is that with D* at that price, you could have HD boxes at all of those tvs for the same price as if you put SD there (versus a one and one like you are doing in this example). Of course most dont have that many HD sets, but just saying. In any case, I am glad you have what makes you happy:up

Hemi, that is a good comparison, and shows how close they both really are when it comes to price. Of course you get a few channels with E* that you wouldnt get if you switched. The only thing I would point out is that with D* at that price, you could have HD boxes at all of those tvs for the same price as if you put SD there (versus a one and one like you are doing in this example). Of course most dont have that many HD sets, but just saying. In any case, I am glad you have what makes you happy:up
True I could have 5 HD/DVRs for the same monthly price as SD DVRs, But I guess Upfront cost would have to come into play as well since D* doesn't want to give me more the 2 HD DVRs for free. So the Other 3 would cost me almost $600 just to have.
Even if I would switch to D* and keep the exact same setup as now with 2 rooms of HD DVR, 1 room HD 2 rooms SD DVR. I would still have to come up $300 extra dollars.
Break that down over 24 months and thats still $12.50 per month.
See alot of you guys say E* has a ton of fee's , But D* still has a very High Up front cost.
Single Room HD DVRs with E* go for $75. D* is $199

I'm cracking up over your post.
Do you get more money if D* gets more subs? :D

BTW - I'd pay 2x as much if I switched from Dish Network to Direct TV for the most similar channels. No thanks. I could spend that ~$500/year somewhere else.
I am sure you would. As I would pay more for my comparable package with Dish.

Instead of making a simple comment about you laughing, why don't you try instead to actually point out what I stated that is wrong.

BTW, I have made posts comparing what I pay to a comparable Dish package. The link below is one of the post I made. Please tell me were I am wrong. I truly want an accurate comparison.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1810245-post16.html

HD Premuims/Nationals=Dish

HD Sports=Directv

Cable=Still Sucks

Just thought I would add a bit of humor to our posts, we all win with the Dish adds, hopefully this is momentum that Dish contiunes to carry and grow with the rest of the year. I am sure Direct will have there adds soon!
Right on! :up

. Please tell me were I am wrong. I truly want an accurate comparison.

You are wrong.
Classic 250 with HD DVR and Locals is $77.98
HD Platinum is $10
Addtional DVR is $12 .
So for you it would be $99.98:D Higher then you thought!
But this would be a 4 room system, 2 HD DVR 2 SD DVR. It would be Dumb to get only 2 VIP 612's instead of 722's.;)

You are wrong.
Classic 250 with HD DVR and Locals is $77.98
HD Platinum is $10
Addtional DVR is $12 .
So for you it would be $99.98:D Higher then you thought!
But this would be a 4 room system, 2 HD DVR 2 SD DVR. It would be Dumb to get only 2 VIP 612's instead of 722's.;)

Just to make sure, is this two physical SD DVR's or two HD DVR's using the TV2 function to route to a SD set?

Just to make sure, is this two physical DVR's or two HD DVR's using the TV2 function to route to a SD set?
This is the Price for 2 Vip 612 ( Single Room HD DVRs)
or 2 Vip 722 ( Dual Room DVRs)
Both are the same monthly fee. Which is why I said it would be dumb for a anyone with 2 or less HD TV's to Have VIP 612's. VIP 612's are good for customer looking to go over that 4 tuner limit.
722 also can be used in single mode ,just like any other DVR, And they also allow PIP,larger Hard drive,and more interactive features.

This is the Price for 2 Vip 612 ( Single Room HD DVRs)
or 2 Vip 722 ( Dual Room DVRs)
Both are the same monthly fee. Which is why I said it would be dumb for a anyone with 2 or less HD TV's to Have VIP 612's. VIP 612's are good for customer looking to go over that 4 tuner limit.

OK, then can you please go into the limitations that you get when running the E* DVR's in dual mode? IIRC then you loose the PIP function on TV1, and you can't record a DBS channel while watching different DBS channels on TV1 and TV2. Yes you might be saving money but aren't you also loosing functionality when running in dual mode vs. seperate DVR's?

OK, then can you please go into the limitations that you get when running the E* DVR's in dual mode? IIRC then you loose the PIP function on TV1, and you can't record a DBS channel while watching different DBS channels on TV1 and TV2. Yes you might be saving money but aren't you also loosing functionality when running in dual mode vs. seperate DVR's?
Yes, but if you only need 2 rooms why would it matter? Dual mode still functions the same as single mode, Its just if I'm recording on tuner 1 Tuner 2 has to watch what I'm recording, Or I have to watch what I'm recording and tuner 2 can watch something else.
You can still watch 2 different programs at the same time ,as long as no one is recording.
But I don't put my 2nd tuner in rooms that are being used constantly.
My living Room is shared with my Office now, My bedroom is shared with my Youngest Daughters room, and My oldest Daughter get a VIP 211 k with HD Hard drive for her recording.

Yes, but if you only need 2 rooms why would it matter? Dual mode still functions the same as single mode, Its just if I'm recording on tuner 1 Tuner 2 has to watch what I'm recording, Or I have to watch what I'm recording and tuner 2 can watch something else.
You can still watch 2 different programs at the same time ,as long as no one is recording.
But I don't put my 2nd tuner in rooms that are being used constantly.
My living Room is shared with my Office now, My bedroom is shared with my Youngest Daughters room, and My oldest Daughter get a VIP 211 k with HD Hard drive for her recording.

When doing comparisons I would think it does matter. Someone looks at your original response and things they get two HD DVR and two SD DVR of capability which you really don't have when using Dish DVR's in dual mode. So if someone does have four rooms they want and four people then your pricing is off a bit since you would need four physical DVR's, not just two. That's of course if you don't mind having what is really single tuner DVR's then (like the 501/508/510).

If you want 4 VIP 612 The Fees would be $36 per month. Yes that is Crazy.
4 rooms of HR, would be $21. Clearly Cheaper.
But it also depends If you Get E* Everything pack then 4 Vip 612's would only be $21 per month in Fees.
$102.98 Locals/ DVR
$10 HD Gold
$21 addtional Recivers.
$6 Muilti sports pack
Around $141 per month

$109.99 Locals
$6 DVR
$15 addtional receiver fees
$10 HD acess
around $141 per month.

Same Price per month.

I am sure you would. As I would pay more for my comparable package with Dish.

Instead of making a simple comment about you laughing, why don't you try instead to actually point out what I stated that is wrong.

BTW, I have made posts comparing what I pay to a comparable Dish package. The link below is one of the post I made. Please tell me were I am wrong. I truly want an accurate comparison.

Nothing's wrong, so there was nothing to point out. I'm just laughing because most everyone here in the Dish Network forum posts about Dish Network, and your post came out of nowhere and seemed like some kind of commercial or something. Lots of things make me chuckle here, so don't worry about it. Perhaps you took my post the wrong way. it's not a bad thing when you post something that makes me laugh.

Now on to your new info posted in the link you just gave:

Your current setup is the exact same one I would get to get the comparable one if I switched. I came up with $84 as well - so I think we are right on that one. I pay $41 for all that and get every national HD channel that Dish Network offers except: Fox, FoxBusiness, FX, Speed, VH1, MTV, Nick, Encore, BET. The only ones I would watch are Fox, FX and Nick (and probably Encore but I've never looked into it). That's pretty good and I've not on a promotional price. Thanks for the info.

Yes with the $65.99 or $75.99 package, But not the $109.99 Premium package.

OK, orginally you were using AE250 costs then switch to AEP to help the E* numbers look better due to the DVR fees charged in all the other packages. Just trying to make sure what package were being used for the numbers.

my bad I didnt mean to start a war I was just curious on paper if Dish now offered more HD channels national/premiums than Directv. Sorry :(

My home System is as Follows

Classic 250 Gold HD DVR. Is $77.99 ( Includes my 622 1 room HD 1 room SD DVRs service and local channels)
Addtional Vip 722k $12( includes DVR and Lease Fee) 1 room HD 1 room SD DVR
Addtional Vip 211k $7 1 room HD
Protection plan $6
HBO $11
KTLA $1.50
$115.49

Directv The same setup would be
$75.99 for HD/DVR pack
$20 for 4 Addtional receivers
$15 for HBO
$6 for Protection Plan
$116.99

It would cost me $1 more for D*and I wouldn't get
  1. Encore HD
  2. Encore West
  3. Encore Action
  4. Encore Drama
  5. Encore Love
  6. Encore Mystery
  7. Encore Wam
  8. Encore Westerns
  9. Hallmark Movie Channel HD
  10. Lifetime HD
  11. Lifetime Movie HD
  12. Travel HD
  13. WGN HD
  14. HBO comedy HD
  15. HBO 2 HD
  16. HBO Signature HD
  17. HBO Family HD
  18. HBO Zone HD
  19. ESPNU
  20. Fox Soccer
  21. Outdoor
  22. TMC West
  23. TMC Xtra West
  24. Travel HD
  25. KTLA.
So Yes D* is Clearly not the Bargin for me.
25 less channels then E* is giving me ,

and D* would be $1 dollar more per month,But D* would give me
Fuel HD
MLB HD
NBA HD
NHL HD,
LOGO
The 101 HD

Now With HD Platinum thats only $9 extra , Because I get $1 Off HBO now because Platinum counts as a Premium and that 4 premiums for $40 per month.
That Gives me
NBA HD
NHL HD
CI HD
Mav HD
FTV HD
Universal HD
Bet Jazz HD
LOGO HD
HDNet Movies HD
MGM HD
WFN HD
For a E* total of $124.49

Is this new that Platinum counts as premium?

Here, it's DirecTV, Dish, or Cox (which currently has 32 HD channels, soon to be at least 61).

My thing with each:

Cox: Great CSRs, but lagging in HD because of system upgrades
DirecTV: I've known some DirecTV pirates before...and I do remember seeing WTVR one time. That sparked my interests in local television (all I saw was RC6).
Dish: Good everywhere but striking local retransmission consent deals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)