So is the HR20 available from DTV directly yet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

geaux1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
or not? Been out of twon this week and have not gotten my "e mail" I was supposed to get when this was no longer an LA thing. Last I heard it was avaiable at Best Buy or trhough them but not Through DTV directly yet, but coming soon, which is how retenetion told me they would give it to me for free because they onbviously could not give me abest buy product without charging me for it. ANyone know?

Yes they are available, and have been since 09/14/06. Check the other threads in the DVR forum and you will see many posts concerning that. Mine is ordered and on the way.

What about the status of the OTA tuner since my locals aren't available yet?

geaux1 said:
What about the status of the OTA tuner since my locals aren't available yet?

The ota tuners are still disabled. There is no official word as to when they will be working. It sounds like it will be some time in October, but there is nothing official from D*.
I want to know who built the tuners. If it isn't LG, then I don't want the HR20.

Last edited:
How can a OTA tuner not be working? I mean that makes no sense, it's either there or it isn't right? That seems like the simplest of the technoligical issues to deal with or is it not being "activated" yet to discourage those without locals provided by DTV yet from flooding them with requests for the box so they can betetr handle the demand and flow of providing the euqiopment and upgrading of those who need a 5lnb.

geaux1 said:
How can a OTA tuner not be working? I mean that makes no sense, it's either there or it isn't right? That seems like the simplest of the technoligical issues to deal with or is it not being "activated" yet to discourage those without locals provided by DTV yet from flooding them with requests for the box so they can betetr handle the demand and flow of providing the euqiopment and upgrading of those who need a 5lnb.

There is no real way of telling! Seriously, I am sure someone thought it was a good idea.

I think they did it to minimize bugs on the initial offering. First it was only supposed to be LA area but that quickly spread and now you can get the unit for any part of the country. While I agree OTA should have been avail, I am glad they are fixing bugs and my unit appears to be pretty good.

Brewer4 said:
I think they did it to minimize bugs on the initial offering. First it was only supposed to be LA area but that quickly spread and now you can get the unit for any part of the country. While I agree OTA should have been avail, I am glad they are fixing bugs and my unit appears to be pretty good.

I guess that could be, but how could having the ota tuner active cause more bugs?

raoul5788 said:
I guess that could be, but how could having the ota tuner active cause more bugs?

Could be alot of things, could be that the code in the firmware for the OTA functionality is somehow incompatable with come other non-OTA-specific functions, could be memory leaks in the OTA code, (all which can cause memory corruption (a symptom could be rebooting)) etc, or maybe something specific to OTA data handling, such as the code has issues with PSIP data.

damaged said:
Could be alot of things, could be that the code in the firmware for the OTA functionality is somehow incompatable with come other non-OTA-specific functions, could be memory leaks in the OTA code, (all which can cause memory corruption (a symptom could be rebooting)) etc, or maybe something specific to OTA data handling, such as the code has issues with PSIP data.

True, I never thought about the psip troubles that the H20 has had.

raoul5788 said:
True, I never thought about the psip troubles that the H20 has had.

My guess is that the HR20 is just basically a H20 with DVR functionality (hardware and firmware) 'tacked' on, added RAM, harddrive, and reprogrammed/larger capacity PLCs/EPROMs, cosmetic changes, perhaps design changes for heat control, so it's not impossible that they are trying to do the HR20 right by not making the same mistake they did with the OTA in the H20.

I think they just wanted these models out the door, the H20 was enough to gauge/pique the publics interest, so they may be taking more time with the HR20 wrt a show stopper such as the reboot issue.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)