So, Scott, will voom stb work after 3am 5/1?

I am trying to figure that out. Yesterday I heard they were planning on making the channels available via the VOOM box as they know people will need to upgrade to a MPEG4 receiver in the near future.

I don't know how much of this is true though. So as I always say... STAY TUNED!

Meaning, what, turning voom boxes into E* boxes for those that want to sub to E*?

Doesn't sound practical to me, so I'm gonna say no...

It is great when the Satelliteguys staff members fight among themselves. I don't feel as stupid.

Let me clarify, from what I was told yesterda it appears the only thing the VOOM Boxes would pick up would be the VOOM HD channels and not any other Dish Network programming.

So in that aspect BFG is correct. ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Let me clarify, from what I was told yesterda it appears the only thing the VOOM Boxes would pick up would be the VOOM HD channels and not any other Dish Network programming.

So in that aspect BFG is correct. ;)

As far as I remember technically the Motorola can be used but it'd require a full software update from Dish which I highly doubt they will do for the sake of only $46k subs. There's another factor, the future MPEG4 uprgade, when our Motorolas can save them time and energy - no need for box replacement, only sw update. But again, I'm not sure they'll invest into this.

If new box necessary, I think I'll pick up some cheap box and buy HD+Mega Movie pack for ~$50 and keep my cable down around $50 too. :) And I'll be the happiest guy on the block: saved some money and got back his toys, Vooms and even gained some new HDs (HDNet, InHD), though lost few (UHD, StarzHD etc) which I hope eventually either Dish or TWCNYC will pick up anyway..

If the reciever could only pick up VoOm HD programming then I do not think they would want to go through the hassle of programming those boxes. I also wonder if it would work with multiple satellites with a software upgrade and is DishPro compatable. These are the factors that have to be considered.

Id love to seem Dish drop their crappy hardware and get voom's equipment.... that networkable dvr with dish would be sweet and Dish is going to need their own system to counter the D* networkable dvr.

jagouar said:
Id love to seem Dish drop their crappy hardware and get voom's equipment.... that networkable dvr with dish would be sweet and Dish is going to need their own system to counter the D* networkable dvr.

942 is already networkable.

These boxes would never be Dish compatible........

The reason they wouldn't ever be compatible is because of the decoding involved in the hardware compared to Dish. The two systems use two different encoders and decoders. Voom uses Motorola's Digicypher 2 technology. I think Dish uses DVB??? The only way I see our boxes being compatible is completely gutting the hardware, which isn't worth it.

lilyarbie said:
The reason they wouldn't ever be compatible is because of the decoding involved in the hardware compared to Dish. The two systems use two different encoders and decoders. Voom uses Motorola's Digicypher 2 technology. I think Dish uses DVB??? The only way I see our boxes being compatible is completely gutting the hardware, which isn't worth it.

Wrong. It's programmable.

Dish should offer the 10 voom channels to ex voomers at a good rate ...say 10 or 12 per month now that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The chipset VOOM used in the box is able to do Dish Networks's DVB decoding. But, it would require a software update to be able to do so. It is probably unlikely that Dish would spend the time and the money to do a software update (things like menus, and guides, etc would all have to be redone to the Dish format). The only way I see them doing the upgrade would be if Dish were planning on selling the VOOM box from Motorola as a standard Dish box in the future.

smeagal said:
Dish should offer the 10 voom channels to ex voomers at a good rate ...say 10 or 12 per month now that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why? You ex-VOOMers know how much it's worth. You should be the first ones to ante up.

DISH would be really smart just to take over the account and post a message that says "If you are interested in continuing VOOM on Dish call this number." And then after a 30 day period for transition the VOOM box would go black if you have not re-subscribe to Dish. How hard can it be? Aren't these people like Rocket Scientists or something like that? They launch satellites and bring us pictures from space.Make it easy on us.

Voom to Dish transition

That would work for me, change the message so that we can decide if we want e* or not. I'd be happy with one week to make up my mind and then extend it if they can't do the install in that time frame.

mdonnelly said:
Why? You ex-VOOMers know how much it's worth. You should be the first ones to ante up.

$10-$12 is what those 10 channels ARE worth. Yes, the basic package was $39.95 but it had 80 channels with a mix of SD & HD not just 10 HD channels!

mike123abc said:
The chipset VOOM used in the box is able to do Dish Networks's DVB decoding. But, it would require a software update to be able to do so. It is probably unlikely that Dish would spend the time and the money to do a software update (things like menus, and guides, etc would all have to be redone to the Dish format).

That's absolutely unnecessary - encryption has nothing to do with UI design.
They can reprogram the deciphering part and leave the Voom UI intact - however it'd we weird, I agree.

The only way I see them doing the upgrade would be if Dish were planning on selling the VOOM box from Motorola as a standard Dish box in the future.

Well, considering they are in fact MPEG4-ready, I wouldn't close out this option, though it doesn't seem to me too likely...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts