So what do we do with out STB, etcC?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
kfried001 said:
OK, After Sean asked noone to flame you and you had the nerve to say this you owe the group an apology. Everyone that I saw that responded to your question were just having fun. This has been a trying time for some and they were just responding in jest. Your unthoughtful comment was unwarrented.

Now, what to do with your STB. If you are leasing it, VOOM may pick it up. If you own it, then you can probably use it to receive HD OTA. One person from VOOM told me we can use them as coffee mug warmers. In other words, without the VOOM signal beaming to your STB, your VOOM STB is worthless. I purchased four of them and personally don't see VOOM going anytime soon. As for the Dish, you can take it down if VOOM goes under or use it to pick up Dishnetwork programing at 61.5.

I hope that answers your original question. Any we are not all DICKS although I do have one.

Ken
I dont know if this is fact or fiction.... i was told that you should disable your diplexor on the back of your STB and connect to the OTA only, before Voom sends a kill signal to your cards and disables the STB completely..if you stop the sat sygnal before Voom send the kill sygnal at least you have a functioning OTA.The question is.....when will Voom send the kill signal to the STB?????

If VOOM goes dark STB used for OTA on an old analog TV. Dish gets repointed to 82w for ExpressVu. If STB no longer works for OTA it will be placed on a shelf in the basement on top of the Primestar receiver. You never know, 30 years down the road a VOOM STB may be worth a lot as a museum piece (after all it wasn't mass produced).

gutter said:
:D

Gee Indy...you actually gave 2 seconds to offer that obvious thought. That is something the original poster could have done. It would have taken him less time than typing the question. :D

Yes, sometimes you just have to remind peolpe to keep the Crayon marks inside the lines. ;)

stevej27 said:
I dont know if this is fact or fiction.... i was told that you should disable your diplexor on the back of your STB and connect to the OTA only, before Voom sends a kill signal to your cards and disables the STB completely..if you stop the sat sygnal before Voom send the kill sygnal at least you have a functioning OTA.The question is.....when will Voom send the kill signal to the STB?????

I have no diplexers on any of my five receivers.

kfried001 said:
I have no diplexers on any of my five receivers.
Yes you do, on all of the STB it is a grey square box thats connects the dish and OTA simultaniously, remove the square box then youll see two connectors OTA on top right and dish lower left... connect to OTA only and your all set...again i dont know that this is a fact or fiction and i dont want to create any rumors or panic...i was only told that the kill was a possibility...doing what i just said is to safeguard your STB just in case this does happen.

stevej27 said:
Yes you do, on all of the STB it is a grey square box thats connects the dish and OTA simultaniously.

Not everyone has a diplexer. I don't have one. I have 2 lines comming in, one connects directly to the OTA 8VSB module from the antenna and the other connects directly to the satellite in from the dish. Subs didn't get a diplexor if they had an existing antenna with pre-amp or if they wanted two lines, one of OTA and one for the dish.

Last spring there was major problems with the diplexors and most opted for separate lines. Instead of powering the pre-amp with the receiver's power you had a separate power supply for the amp installed.

I suspect the answer he's looking for is something like turning the dish into a planter or making some kind of art object.

bryan27 said:
Not everyone has a diplexer. I don't have one. I have 2 lines comming in, one connects directly to the OTA 8VSB module from the antenna and the other connects directly to the satellite in from the dish. Subs didn't get a diplexor if they had an existing antenna with pre-amp or if they wanted two lines, one of OTA and one for the dish.

Last spring there was major problems with the diplexors and most opted for separate lines. Instead of powering the pre-amp with the receiver's power you had a separate power supply for the amp installed.
ok fine..... disconnect the SAT leave the OTA alone

The Dish would still be useful

If you wanted to, you could use it as an FTA dish to pick up music channels for free or use it to pick up channels in the "clear" if you are using at least a 30 inch dish. All that would require is a DVB set-top box or a DVB PCI computer card (50 bucks on E-bay).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)