So what's the latest on D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

barth2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
have they finished migrating the locals or whatever they need to do to free up space for HD?

From the sticky thread, I see there will be many more HD channels (I hope so!). Do I need a new dish to get them? I have the 3LNB oval dish now.

How many more HD channels can they theoretically add?

What bitrates are they using these days for their HD channels?

thanks

barth2k said:
have they finished migrating the locals or whatever they need to do to free up space for HD?

The locals on 101 that are going to move to 119 have already moved, but are duplicated on 101 still for the people who have not upgraded to the triple lnb.

barth2k said:
How many more HD channels can they theoretically add?

Considering the amount of Sunday Ticket games in HD this year, I wouldn't think they could add a lot. However, I suspect that at least one channel that will be coming would be the NFL Network, but then I could be wrong about that...

~Alan

The second half of the season EVERY GAME will be in HD on DirecTV. :)

Also found out today that a large number of Forigen Channels will be launching on DirecTV at the end of August.

International Channels On DirecTV

Scott,
Please keep us up to date on any information that you receive in regards to a list of International channels that will be added to DirecTV.

I am especially interested in Polish programming.

Thanks

Alan Gordon said:
The locals on 101 that are going to move to 119 have already moved, but are duplicated on 101 still for the people who have not upgraded to the triple lnb.

holy cr*p, won't that take forever? how many people still have the old dish. Must be hundreds of thousands!

Considering the amount of Sunday Ticket games in HD this year, I wouldn't think they could add a lot. However, I suspect that at least one channel that will be coming would be the NFL Network, but then I could be wrong about that...

since I'm not a big enough football fan, I won't subscribe to NFL:ST (espn+abcmnf+cbs&fox games of the week satisfy me plenty). heck we in L.A. don't even have a team to root for anymore. doesn't sound like D* will be very appealing to me very soon.

Lots of conflicting info. First I'm told there'll be "surprising" number of new channels, like maybe inhd1&2. Now, it'll be mostly NFL channels. uggh. I'm with voom now but getting impatient with their problems.

D* is all speculation right now. my guess is when all is said and done, we'll just have foxhd and nftst. Both useless for me since I get fox ota just fine.

Alan Gordon said:
~Alan

Local channels that are on 119 were added onto 119, not moved from 101, except for a handful in very small DMA's. ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:

Also found out today that a large number of Forigen Channels will be launching on DirecTV at the end of August.

Well their goes all the new additional bandwidth :D .

Incaico said:
Local channels that are on 119 were added onto 119, not moved from 101, except for a handful in very small DMA's. ;)

Yep! Those are the ones that I was referring to, as moving those channels will free up some space from 101 to allow DirecTV the room to add more channels.

~Alan

Scott Greczkowski said:

Ghod forbid they could add channels that people have been asking for...

like HBO Comedy
Showtime Beyond
WB/UPN Superstations (which is getting their clock cleaned in some markets by not having UPN/WB when cable does)

shoot, I could stand Goodlife TV

but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............

Has anyone heard a 'drop dead' date as to when folks on the 101 -> 119 markets need tp get the multidish?

Scott Greczkowski said:

Yes, please provide any updates you can. I'm personally hoping for any 24 hour Italian language news/sports channel. Dish has one.

You know what Scott, I hope you are wrong, which I doubt you are. I am an NFL ST subscriber but I am also a Total Choice Premier subscriber and if D*puts on football games in HD before bringing on the HD movie channels I'll be PISSED!

One reason I tried Voom was because of the StarzHD, not to mention the others. Too bad the PQ is not there for them yet, they were a little cheaper, but not enough content.

I had addressed in a forum earlier today that on DirecTV6 there are only like 9 channels, why can this not be used for more HD? Anyway I guess we all have different needs and the real point of the matter is D* will add what THEY want to add, when THEY want to add it ... and not before.

I just cannot believe this "technology" has been around for 5 years (solid) and we still have have not too much to show for it.

slacker9876 said:
I had addressed in a forum earlier today that on DirecTV6 there are only like 9 channels, why can this not be used for more HD? Anyway I guess we all have different needs and the real point of the matter is D* will add what THEY want to add, when THEY want to add it ... and not before.

DirecTV 6 is at 110 where they only own the right to use a few transponders, whereas Dish Network has the right to use the majority of transponders there. Unless DirecTV buys the rights from Dish (which I don't see happening unless Dish goes kaput) there probably won't be any more transponders firing up from DirecTV 6.

slacker9876 said:
I just cannot believe this "technology" has been around for 5 years (solid) and we still have have not too much to show for it.

Hey listen, some people have numerous OTA networks to watch HD on, and I have none. My PBS is going digital (I assume HD) next month (August), but considering I'm over three times farther (32 miles) from their digital tower than I am my local NBC (8.1 miles) and FOX (7.9) affiliate, so I'm not even sure I'm going to get that. As it is, I just occasionally watch the HD package.

~Alan

slacker9876 said:
You know what Scott, I hope you are wrong, which I doubt you are. I am an NFL ST subscriber but I am also a Total Choice Premier subscriber and if D*puts on football games in HD before bringing on the HD movie channels I'll be PISSED!

Easy there, Slacker. Majority Rules. After all, DIRECTV is a for-profit business and there is nothing more profitable than the sports fan! :yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)