So what's the real deal on the "lease fee"?

RobertsD said:
If you have a DVR, which is two tuners, and you don't have it plugged into a phone line, you get charged a $5 fee for the second tuner.
The no phone penalty is not just for DVRs, and not even just for dual tuner DVRs. It is for any dual tuner receiver with multi-room output.

The 7x00 and 50x lines are single tuner DVRs, no phone fee. The 721 and 921 are dual tuner DVRs but they can only output one thing at a time, no phone fee.

The 322 isn't a DVR at all but is a 2-room dual tuner, so hook up or pay up. Same for the 522/625/942/622 DVR models, hook up or pay up.

But BFG already said that in #16.

At the risk of straying back on topic, this applies whether you own or lease.

kdg454 said:
I don't know if this will assist in figuring it out or not.
I just got my new statement from Dish.

Leased VIP622 - $6.00/mo - leased receiver fee (leased using current upgrade)
DVR Service - $.00/mo (waived with PlatHD pkg)
Own VIP211 - $6.00/mo - addl receiver access fee
Own 921 - $5.00/mo - addl receiver access fee
Own 811 - $5.00/mo - addl receiver access fee

I believe the "package price for one promotion" applies to new customers who lease an HD receiver, and agree to 18 months of medal HD programming, in which, the leased receiver fee would be waived.

No wonder the CSR's can't figure it out :shocked

In this type of situation why would you not insist that your owned VIP211 is your primary reciever? At least that would save the access fee on one of the recievers.

Hmm, I don't have a phone line. Restricting functionality this way is not acceptable :(

Does E* start charging for the "first receiver" once your DHA commitment expires (my 12 month commitment expires in April) or does it continue until you upgrade your account through Dish'n It Up?

If you lease a 622 under Dish'n It Up, you will obviously have to pay a $6 HD Lease fee that receiver. Likewise, if you were to purchase a 622 your first (primary) receiver will still be included with the base programming price. However, what happens when your 12-month DHA obligation expires? Does E* hit you up with another nickle & dime $5/$6 additional receiver fee?

RobertsD said:
YOu don't have to be subscribed to the HD pack to lease a 811, hence, that is why they did not ask for it back when you canceled it.
When did they drop this requirement? When I leased 811, the lease agreement stated that I must maintain HD pack + AT60 or higher.

I don't think they did. It still exists for me. Someone folks must've slipped by I guess

BFG said:
I don't think they did. It still exists for me. Someone folks must've slipped by I guess

That would be me! And I am very happy since I do like the OTA HD very much. I never did use the HD pack much when I had it. If Dish were to force me to take the HD pack I would just pick up a after market OTA HD tuner for my set.. The newer metallic packs look like more wasted money for me. I am going to keep my 811 and 322 until Dish forces me to upgrade to mpeg 4.. And I won't pay anymore for that privilage either. I mostly watch OTA HD anymore and when I buy my second HDTV it will have the right connections for the new hi res dvd's. At that point I will cancel my subscriptions to Sat/Cable for good. I think when the networks add more live HD content it will attract more people to just cut off Sat/Cable and just go back to the days of antennas. In the past, when you cut off Sat/Cable, you had to put up with snow, wavy lines, and alot of noise with analog OTA. Not anymore. I have 12 pristine digital OTA channels that cost me nothing.. I think as Sat/Cable prices keep going up their biggest competitor will be OTA digital.. But thats just my two cents.

I understand that alot of folks can't get OTA HD right now.. But alot of people who can have not done so yet.. And when the Feds turn off the OTA analog spectrum, you can be sure that existing OTA digital will be upgraded with more repeaters and power. OTA air coverage will only get better.. And if you are having issues getting OTA digital.. just remember that bigger and higher antennas is what improves reception.

Last edited:
mammothskier said:
When did they drop this requirement? When I leased 811, the lease agreement stated that I must maintain HD pack + AT60 or higher.
I was incorrect, you need to be subscribed to the HD pack.

When I signed up for Dish Network a couple months ago, there was no mention of it, but what are you going to do...

"...On Dual tuner receivers that have can indepented viewing on 2 rooms, they make you keep it connected to a phone line or else they charge a $5 fee. This fee applies to the 322,522,625,942,622..."

I didn't know that. I thought they'd check up on my 301, 508 & 721 also. After all, if the intention is to see if you're account sharing, or keeping a box at a second home, why not do it for all boxes?

And to think I always keep mine connected to phone lines- even ran 'em special just for this purpose.

Does this mean I'm exempt from the Audit Police?

RobertsD said:
I was incorrect, you need to be subscribed to the HD pack.

When I signed up for Dish Network a couple months ago, there was no mention of it, but what are you going to do...

Interesting to note the HD metallic programming requirement.

I spoke with a CSR today, in a vane attempt to nail down the actual cost of an upgrade to a 622. She had me hold while she verified that any package would be alright and there would be no requirement for an HD package.

I am inclined to believe you are correct and she is mistaken. Why wouldn't they require you to obligate to their crap HD channels in exchange for their shiny new receiver model? I'm sure the requirement is deep in the fine print.

Don't get me wrong, dish is the only way to go, but they are nickel and diming us to death with all the additional fees, like the "no phone fee", and the "enabling fee" should you spite their $5 SD local package in favor of free OTA locals in HD.

I'm currently out of contractual obligation, so with all of these additional conditions and fees, I may have to sit out the HD DVR upgrade for fear of being roped into MO MONEY, MO MONEY!

I just ordered a new 622 to upgrade from an 811 and a 5000. I was also surprised by the $6.00 per month lease fee to go along with the DVR fee and the charge for local stations.

Dang, watching TV is getting expensive.

I figured it was about time to upgrade the 5000. The letters and numbers on the remote control are nearly worn off.

I have been trying to research the Dish'n It Up lease program for my parents. They currently have a models 3000,4000,4900 and 311 that they own on their account. They are considering dropping the 3000 and 4000 receivers off their account and leasing 2 510's . I know that the additional receiver fees will now basically be called a lease fee for the 2 new 510's ( 5.00 for each SD receiver) and they will have to pay the additional 5.98 / 510 for the DVR fee( Plus the $49.00 upfront cost) . But a few more questions I have are 1) Will they own the receivers after the 18 monthes? 2) What kind of warranty will they have on the 2 new 510's( They are not currently under the extended warranty program) and how long ? 3) Do they have to be connected to any phone lines ?( they haven't ever rented a movie) ? Any other questions that I haven't thought of that might need to be answered I would appreciate any ones respones to try help my parents. Thanks A LOT, Mike

Last edited:
No, don't worry the 942 now becomes the primary because it's still one of your original receivers on the account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)