So when will EHD archiving actually happen if ever?! Any ideas?!

Gadgetfanatic

Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Utah
I guess I'm losing my patience & wondering if this will really ever happen. Like many others, I'm getting the distinct impression they've already abandoned the 922 or it at least isn't that high of a priority for them. Their silence on this critical issue is deafening & RIDICULOUS! If they have no intention of ever activating EHD archiving on the 922, then I want to know, so that I can ask for a refund of my $200 & get another 722, as I already have 2 of them & am very happy with them.

I could create a whole list of missing features or features that don't work right, like the auto tune automatically switching to the next show, whether you say yes or no, even though it still gives you the option of yes or no after it already switched & wiped out your other show that you had paused or were behind on. No reminder function, which I like to use. Not being able to protect a show while it's recording, like you can on the 722 & even the 625. Lack of basic options when instant recording. No display of how many hours of HD & SD are available without looking online, just a % of how much hard drive space is left. Of course the manual timers & Dish Pass, etc, etc. I'm glad that some have no problems with the sling option, as I haven't even tried for a couple months now, as it is so bad on my 922 & rarely works! Oh yeah & can we get an option to lock the front panel..I do have a 2 year old!

This list is so long, that I could go on & on..but with all that said, I'd be happy if I could just get the EHD archiving, as my hard drive has been full for months & now I have to record everything with one of my 722s & then transfer it to the EHD & then connect the EHD to my 922 to watch them on that TV. That capability only became available around the end of July..it REALLY SUCKED until that point! But should it really be necessary to do all of that just to record & watch shows? Why can't the 922 do even the very basic functions of a 722? Why did they charge us $200 for a beta mode DVR? I guess because they could & we were suckers!

Scott, I've seen you mention a couple times now that an update is coming in the next 2-3 weeks & to keep our fingers crossed. I noticed that you said this over on the Dish site about 2-3 weeks ago & then recently said it again. So is it another 2-3 weeks from now or is it any day now based on your other statement?

It's just so frustrating..even then, it could just be another update like the 108 that apparently did NOTHING noticeable, at least to me & many others as people had very little to say about it. How can NOBODY KNOW what is going to be in the next update or any update? They know what the hell they're working on & if we're going to have EHD archiving in the near future or not...I PLEAD, JUST BE HONEST with us!!! I guess if they won't even tell you Scott, then why the hell would they tell us, right?

I really, seriously wonder at this point if they ever intend to give us this option of EHD archiving & I want to know so that I know what to do about it. In this case, I believe no news is bad news, very bad news & with Dish's lack of basic communication with it's loyal customers over such an important & basic issue; how could I assume anything but that?!

By the way, one thing I do love about the 922, is the ability to use a USB hub & connect multiple EHDs through the back port! I connected a Kensington PocketHub Mini 2.0 the other day, with 4 USB High-Speed 2.0 ports & currently have 4 1.5 TB Seagate EHDs connected with no issues whatsoever. Even after the update check everyday, they show up just fine! I don't know if you could add another 4 through the front USB port or not & from what I've read, 4 is the max through a single USB port. Is this true? They do have larger USB hubs if it will support more than 4. To be honest, I doubt anyone at Dish would even know this or even know you can use a hub at all & the only way we'll really find out is for someone to try it, then we can tell Dish whether it's possible or not!

It's so nice to finally have all of the shows in one place & not have to disconnect one EHD to connect another. I don't believe you can do this on the 722 from what I've read & they claim you can't..but I've never tried it, has anyone else? In the menu, it simply lists them as 922, External 1, External 2, etc. I sure hope they don't take this great feature away in the next update..can you imagine? They give us EHD archiving but now we can't connect multiple EHDs..I really wonder if they even know you can do this?

Just so you all know & for those that are curious; it's the Barracuda 7200.11, ST31500341AS drive that I use & I buy the Antec MX-1 enclosure, which has a cooling fan. I've been using this combo for over 3 years now & never had a single problem.(knock on wood..LOL!) I've been using them with my 722s & now 922 & I have 10 of them, 2 I use as backups for my Desktop & laptops & 1 I haven't even used yet, which I've been saving for the 922.

Anyway, I'd appreciate ANY info about EHD archiving & I'm guessing you Scott are the man to help us with this. We just really need to know ANYTHING..please tell your contacts at Dish that we are desperate for this feature & losing patience..even an update would be welcomed. A simple yes it's coming or no, it will never happen would even suffice so they quit stringing us along with hope that it will happen.

Sorry, but you knew you were taking a chance when you got one. They were pretty clear about it being a work in progress. Yes, progress is slow.

I'm not too keen anymore on buying something right out of the gate. Better to wait until AFTER the features are actually released and working.

I no longer have much interest in ever getting a ViP922, and for that I thank you and many others.

Yeah, I guess we all got what we deserved, right? I guess we should have had no expectation whatsoever that the 'flagship' 922 receiver of Dish Network would ever come close to say, the 722 DVR for instance? Yeah, what the hell were we thinking...man we're stupid!!

I'd like you to point out to everyone reading this, where Dish explicitly warned everyone & stated that this 922 DVR, touted as their 'flagship' at every show they displayed it at, that Charlie was so excited about; was a "buyer beware" situation & that we would all be "taking a chance" on this "work in progress" & 6 months after buying it, it would still lack many very basic functions of past DVRs that had been around for years? Where did Dish explicitly state that this DVR wasn't even ready to sell, but they were going to go ahead & sell it anyway?

I guess I & many others missed this internal memo that you were privy to! Please enlighten us & provide us your sources!

It's pretty apparent that I & many others weren't aware that we were going to be Charlie's beta testers & pay $200 for the privilege! We obviously didn't know that it wasn't working correctly & missing a vast array of very basic functions & features, but I guess they warned everyone not to buy it & to be aware & we just missed it.

Anyway, I'm glad that my stupidity & having missed this big warning from Dish, that you read, has helped you not to buy a 922..you're welcome!

Hmm. Charlie did say on a past Chat that he/Dish were delaying the availability of the 922 until it was ready and working the way it should rather than releasing it too soon and have customers upset. The irony! "Getting it right" was the stated reason the 922 was so LATE in release (almost a year?).

And BTW, wasn't the archiving to external HDD feature active when the 922 was first released, but only later did Dish deactivate the feature in because of problems with the intent of re-activating it once they solved the problem?

I, too wanted a 921 really bad, util problems surfaced, now, I too, am planning to NEVER get a 921 and, instead, wait for the subsequent new and improved (presumably stable) model that will most likely have all the features (and more?) the 921 has but working as they should. Yep, a lot like the 721 and 921: not ready for prime time. The subsequent 522, 625 and 942 and ViP's all were the robust boxes that worked as the 721 and 921 were supposed to.

Unless DISH fixes the 922 to my satisfaction,I will not be buying any more new receivers from them or any online retailer. Which means:

1. Reliable recording features with all 4 tuners at the same time.
2. Archiving features for which I paid for years ago.
3. Sling extender for hd in another room.

I have had just about every new receiver that DISH has come out with and I got burned on the $1000.00 921pvr and now the 922dvr is acting just like the 921. I have to do a power cord reboot daily to prevent recording problems with prime time shows . Back to baby sitting the box. The 922 was featured prominently in last year's CES videos with cool features like the Google search . Now Charlie says the 922 doesn't have the processing speed to do google search , you need to buy another new box from Google and pay another new invented fee for $4.00 a month. BULL SH*T! Charlie complains about the channels charging more for their carriage and DISH is doing just that ,charging more and more for created" Just because we can charge it" FEES. His additional receiver fees alone are outrageous. I even have cut back on all my programming and dropped all premium channels and use NETFLIX for movies. For $10.99 a month , I get blu ray movies and streaming movies and tv shows over my 922 using Play on application. This actually WORKS on my 922. But I am sure that DISH will download a software change that will stop this too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)