So where is this fabled OTA scanning update anyways??

vission

Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
I thought it was May, then the end of May, now when is it "suppose" to be happening???

Vission

No fable. It is real. My guess is that they are taking very much care of releasing a software with minimal problems. Wilt mentioned already that is in beta testing mode so it is moving along and hopefully it will get to us soon. It will resolve the OTA mapping issues.

Posted in the Yahoogroups area:

The "promised" code is currently in beta.
It totally resolves the "stutter" and does have the scanner.
It's good stuff; a few more fixes before it's pushed out but
shouldn't be much longer.
Software's like that, it takes longer than expected. :-(
Thanks,
Wilt

Certain moderators on this forum have it already. It's still a little early to release, some significant bugs are left to fix. But I hear it's getting close...

When Voom goes with MPEG4 or WM9, do they have to do another software update or will this just be hardware updating?

jimmykce1 said:
When Voom goes with MPEG4 or WM9, do they have to do another software update or will this just be hardware updating?

This upgrade will be at least a two-step process because it involves hardware and software. There will be a hardware upgrade to the STB, followed by a software push.

Software upgrades will be a fact of life. There will be upgrades and changes made to the software that controls the STB based on many things, but one of those is consumer demand. That's one of the reasons why this forum is important, since Voom follows what goes on here.

at this rate it will be long past october before we get wm9. Since Voom is listening, you need to charge the programmers liquidated damages for every day that code is late.

vurbano said:
at this rate it will be long past october before we get wm9. Since Voom is listening, you need to charge the programmers liquidated damages for every day that code is late.
Dude you need to relax, or you gonna drop dead long before we get wm9 or mpeg4

Actually, Vurbano is exactly right. I manage a technology group that installs software releases on a monthly basis. The releases are planned at least 8 months in advance. If we ever missed a release date, I would be changed from a rooster to a hen. Even if a single project is late (and a release could have 20 projects) it is a BIG DEAL.

With Voom being relatively new, they will get the release process together eventually. The customers (US) are a pretty demanding group, but the end goal will be to release quality software on time.

I am just wondering, this mpeg4/wm9 thing they had better be writing that now too. A lease starting in october is wasted money if no one can watch it. And 30k dishes replaced as well?

The Stone Man said:
Actually, Vurbano is exactly right. I manage a technology group that installs software releases on a monthly basis. The releases are planned at least 8 months in advance. If we ever missed a release date, I would be changed from a rooster to a hen. Even if a single project is late (and a release could have 20 projects) it is a BIG DEAL.

With Voom being relatively new, they will get the release process together eventually. The customers (US) are a pretty demanding group, but the end goal will be to release quality software on time.
Great points Stone Man and V. The cascade effects of missing deadlines can be huge. If your late finishing one thing, you're late in starting the next thing, and so on.

I've always wondered if they tried to do too much with this release. Maybe they should have fixed a few things with a new patch, then moved on to the next group of problems. People would have complained, but so what? I don't think they care too much about our complaints anyway. The bigger the patch, the harder it is to test and correct the problem. Of course, I don't know where Motorola fit into all this. Maybe it's all their fault.

One thing ive learned, Nothing is ever on time, just forget about it, and it will be a nice surprise when it comes :)

cyuhnke said:
I've always wondered if they tried to do too much with this release. Maybe they should have fixed a few things with a new patch, then moved on to the next group of problems. People would have complained, but so what?
That's actually what they did with 5.68. They quickly fixed the most important issues discovered in 5.5c and moved on...

Ilya said:
That's actually what they did with 5.68. They quickly fixed the most important issues discovered in 5.5c and moved on...
You're right. I guess I meant to say to incrementally upgrade instead of all at once. Specifically, manual scanning. Maybe they could have done that before moving on. I don't know all the practicalities, it was just my $.02.

cyuhnke said:
You're right. I guess I meant to say to incrementally upgrade instead of all at once. Specifically, manual scanning. Maybe they could have done that before moving on. I don't know all the practicalities, it was just my $.02.

Then everyone here will bitch that why didn't feature/enhancement x make it in this time?!? Nobody wins. Let's just wait for the release. There's also a lot of overhead that goes into getting a release ready to ship each time.

I do quality assurance testing for a software company and see this kind of stuff all the time. QA never thinks the release is good enough and wants more time to test, developers continue to shove in fixes, marketing/sales/customers want the release yesterday. :shocked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)