So, which one are you getting: PS4 or Xbox One?

Which one are you getting?

• PS4

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Have you decided? Please vote in the poll!

I'm locked into gaming through Sony's products for the foreseeable future (PS3, Vita, PS Plus membership through 10/2014), so I'll definitely be getting a PS4 when the number of must-have games created for it exceed those I still have yet to play on the PS3.

The xBox One and PS4 are practically identical inside. Unlike the PS3 and xBox, which were cutting-edge, these new consoles are several generations behind a decent mid-level gaming PC. It is going to come down to games, subscription cost, and accessories for me.

The xBox One and PS4 are practically identical inside. Unlike the PS3 and xBox, which were cutting-edge, these new consoles are several generations behind a decent mid-level gaming PC. It is going to come down to games, subscription cost, and accessories for me.
I"m curious as to what your definition is of a "mid-level gaming PC." The hardware powering these systems is pretty damn good. Yes of course you can get a PC that's more powerful, but not without breaking the bank. I'd say that I have a mid level gaming PC (Core i5 2500k, 8 GB RAM, SSD, GeForce 460SE2) but it won't be able to produce the high level of graphics that these things should be able to.

I still don't understand why people like to game on a PC. I'd have to be shown a great set up with great controls in order to change my mind.

I still don't understand why people like to game on a PC. I'd have to be shown a great set up with great controls in order to change my mind.
Hook up a powerful rig to a 50" plasma and get a Xbox 360 controller and you'll understand.

Without getting into heavy propaganda about the PC Gaming Master Race, there are a number of advantages to PC gaming over Console gaming:

1. Cheaper games thanks to multiple competing services and Pay What You Want deals like the Humble Bundle and Indie Royale.
2. Access to MANY more games, including much older games. Backwards compatibility is almost non-existent nowadays on consoles. Compare that to PC where I can play games from the 80s and 90s thanks to tools like DOSBOX and vendors like Good Old Games that re-engineer games to work on modern hardware.
3. Ability to customize and MOD games. Games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls Series have been significantly enhanced by user mods that completely change the experience. Hell people are still making mods for the original DOOM.
4. More gaming options (regular program games, web based games, flash games, etc etc)
5. Better gaming performance in general (assuming you have the right hardware.)
6. NUMEROUS free games with AAA-level style and presentation.

I'm not saying that PC Gaming is 100% better, and the VAST majority of PC Gamers likely have a console system as well. However, for me the PC has definitely become my gaming device of choice. To be honest, the "advantages" of console gaming have become almost non-existent. It's not like the old days of 8-bit gaming, even up to the last console generation (PS2, GC, Xbox) where you really could just pop a game in and it just worked. And to be fair, PC Gaming back in the day used to be a CHORE. Early on it was issues with memory management, incompatible hardware due to very few good standards (God Forbid you didn't have a Creative Sound Card back in the day!), having to deal with configuration files (We'll never forget the names "Autoexec.bat" and "Config.sys",) installation of games and storage management, etc. Nowadays, the modern consoles are basically just dumb PCs. Now (especially if you have a PS3) you have to install a game before you can even play it, download all the update patches (with the promise of more to come), multiplayer that often has a much shorter shelf life as console gamers seem to gravitate to a dozen or so games at any particular time, and bugs are MUCH more common with much bigger consequences. Quite often there have been stories of game saves being corrupted and people losing data, or firmware upgrades that would almost brick consoles. Or sometimes various games just wouldn't work properly for some people based on their particular VERSION of a console since now we get like multiple versions/SKUs. This video sheds light on some of these arguments (NOTE: Explicit Language, and I recommend skipping to 1 minute in to get to the main part of the argument.)

PC Gaming has evolved from the old days of typing in console commands on a small monitor with a mouse and keyboard. Nowadays it's very easy to get a console experience without the console hassles on a PC.

Last edited:
PS4 for me. I had one preordered from amazon within seconds of Sony announcing the price. I was all set up for launch day delivery until I won a PS4, Knack, and a 1 year PS+ subscription from Taco Bell. They are claiming I will have my system before launch date. We'll see about that but as long as I get it within a few days of launch I'm happy.

I have owned a 20GB 360 since launch date. I had a lot of great times on that system. Playing Gears of War was the first time I really felt like I was playing a next gen game. I had some great times playing Halo, Gears (especially horde mode), and COD online with friends. The problem is that I have now played through 4 Gears games and 5 Halo games. These are great franchises but I think I could do without playing any more of them because I have done it so many times. Microsoft hasn't really put out any exclusives that I'm interested in besides those two franchises during the 360 generation so I have little faith that they will in the next generation.

In my time with a PS3 I have enjoyed these Sony first party games: Uncharted, The Last of Us, inFamous, God of War, Resistance, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, MLB The Show, Heavy Rain, Sly Cooper and the sequels to many of these games. This isn't counting the first party games I haven't had a chance to play yet like Beyond Two Souls, Journey, and Puppeteer or the highly rated games I have no interest in like Grand Turismo. I'm also in the Sony ecosystem. I have been a PS+ subscriber for over a year now so I have tons of free games. I also have a Vita and that works together with PS4. It just makes more sense to stay in that ecosystem right now.

I really like a few of Microsoft's exclusives but Sony just has so many more of them and a much better variety. I like shooters but I want other types of games too. Now, I am a gamer geek for sure. I have a PS3, 360, nice gaming PC, and a PS Vita. it is almost certain that I will own a Xbox One in a year or two. 95% of the games will be available to me on my PS4 or PC so I don't see the point in owning both from day one. Once Microsoft has enough exclusives I want to play I will get an Xbox and go back to play everything I missed.

Friends went PS4 so that pushed me that direction so we can continue to play cooperatively. Wife is buying me an Xbox One as a gift. So PS4 will be primary console, with occasional gaming and all the Kinect/TV functions getting used heavily on the Xbox One.

PS4, definitely, but not gonna run right out and get one at launch. Will wait a while and let Sony and other people work out any major bugs with it first. X-Box One has zero attraction level for me. Microsoft nickles and dimes you to death every chance they get and I'm sure this won't change one bit with their new console. Right now I have three PS3'S and four X-Box 360's and I like the PS3's way, way better than the X-Boxes. PS4, no doubt.

After some hesitation I ended up ordering Xbox One.
I like Skype, HDMI pass-through and other Home Entertainment features of Xbox One.
Not being a true gamer, I think either console will suffice for occasional gaming.
However, Xbox seems to fit me better for other things beyond gaming. (Time will tell of course.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts