So who is lying, E* or local Salisbury networks?

And we're honestly expected to believe that market 144 has the best new team, doing stuff better than any other news channel in the country. Yeah.

:O) I called the people in Salisbury, complete idiots earlier. So, who's up to drink? THANK Goodness I just got Wii or I would be pulling some hair.

I just found this thread. I live in Delaware and at the moment have both FIOS and Direct TV (I have had Dish in the past). I have seen the adds on WBOC and have really been annoyed by a couple of things. First, I live in both the Philadelpia and Salisbury DMA. When they say I can't get ABC or CBS that is wrong. Many of their viewing area can, they come from Philadelphia. Their add is misleading on this. Also, I can't see why I would watch their channels for anything but the local news. They are not carried by either Comcast or Verizon in HD in Kent County. I watch network programming on the Philly stations. The other thing is they say it is only carried by cable which is a little misleading as FIOS doesn't refer to itself as cable and Verizon carries the channels. I figured Comcast must be helping pay for the commercial.

I have seen the adds on WBOC and have really been annoyed by a couple of things. First, I live in both the Philadelpia and Salisbury DMA. When they say I can't get ABC or CBS that is wrong. Many of their viewing area can, they come from Philadelphia.

First, the last time I looked... Philly and Salisbury markets did not over lap. They border each other. 2nd, if you live in the Salisbury market, legally you should not be able to get Philly because of the issue I spoke about with DISH NETWORK and Florida court ruling about distant locals. People like me, came up with a creative way to change our local market but ITS NOT POSSIBLE to ADD. Also, I REALLY love how people over look my comments. I've been complaining about this very subject for a few months now in here and nothing. Now, someone comments about it in a blog and here we go! jeez! If anyone cares to know what actions I took, just say so. I've actually typed up a few personal letters to various companies. And got stupid answers. Reason why I call Salisbury people IDIOTS. Those are the letters I found to be the most annoying.

First, the last time I looked... Philly and Salisbury markets did not over lap. They border each other. 2nd, if you live in the Salisbury market, legally you should not be able to get Philly because of the issue I spoke about with DISH NETWORK and Florida court ruling about distant locals. People like me, came up with a creative way to change our local market but ITS NOT POSSIBLE to ADD. Also, I REALLY love how people over look my comments. I've been complaining about this very subject for a few months now in here and nothing. Now, someone comments about it in a blog and here we go! jeez! If anyone cares to know what actions I took, just say so. I've actually typed up a few personal letters to various companies. And got stupid answers. Reason why I call Salisbury people IDIOTS. Those are the letters I found to be the most annoying.

Actually, I have been keeping up with your post...Not to many people in our DMA so I am sure to read post regarding this issue. I am just glad that more people are getting involved about it. I would like to know what you have done so far, that way i can start my own letter campaign. By the looks of the map you put on the previous post, it appears you are in the millsboro / georgetown area...i am in the Laurel area

Actually I am covered under the 2 markets. I live in Dover and that is considered to be in the Philadelphia DMA, yet Salisbury has been able to block me with getting out of market stations when I tried a few years ago. Not sure of the specifics, but when I applied for waivers, that is who blocked me. Anyone in Dover with satellite gets the Philly channels. Both Dish and Direct offer the same "local" channels.

Onscreen guide was very misleading. Even though, I subscribed to every possible channel, there were still channels I could not get. Example: FX HD. Guide showed it as a channel that was possible to watch, but I kept getting some message I could not understand. Again, phone support did not help me. Searching online, I found that not all HD channels that are available from Verizon are actually shown in every market. Some areas have FX HD, while others do not. If the channel is not available for me to watch, then why show it or how about indicating somewhere it’s not available?

Interesting...if that's the case, then it I wonder how many more of the channels are like this, and what it does to their claims of having more HD channels than anyone else (as discussed in this thead http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/156478-look-timewarner-cable.html)

Last edited:
wow, someone else here reads joes blog :)

its been an ongoing discussion on there for a few weeks.

Ive sent e* an email to see what it takes to get a local on there, and pointed them to the issue
i did get lucky and got the free OTA antenna dish was offerign at one time, so i can get locals that way, but with no programming guide.

according to neilson salisbury is the # 144 market for 2009

according to dishuser its the only dma in md, del, va that is not offered

As a dollar amount, your DMA isn't worth servicing. Short of this area being included in a broadcasting pack, you won't see signal via satellite. Expect an e-mail to that effect shortly.

It is a small DMA. DBS companies will only carry it if:

1. They have room on the satellite (which they both probably do)
2. They get all the stations on board
3. The local stations just want the basic deal.

So, essentially if one or more of the local stations wants extra cash beyond the usual amount paid they will not view the market as needed to be carried. The bigger markets have a lot more pull.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)