So whos getting an IPHONE?

The more I see of it, the more I like it.

I find it hard to believe that someone won't figure out how to unlock it. I'm surprised their flagship phone isn't unlockable for international travel. That's just absurd.

I talked to the local Cingular store and there is no subsidy with this phone. Exisitng customers can simply buy the phone and swap this phone in place of their old one.

The married SIM thing is interesting - isn't their a GSM standard they need to abide by? lol.

Gee, I guess I should be happy with my two bars. Looks like Anchorage and most of Wisconsin can't get the iPhone because AT&T doesn't have coverage.
IPhone frenzy on hold for some - Yahoo! News

So, my question to those who have an iPhone: How well do all the buttons show up in bright sunlight? I can't read my RAZR unless I shade the screen which makes it rather difficult to find a name in my address book, but at least I have number buttons and can dial from memory. If the screen on the iPhone gets washed out, I'd think you'd be SOL.

Last edited:
There were some people in line at our local apple store but none in line at any at&t stores last night. My son had been wavering on it for a while and decided to go see if they had any late this morning. He had heard a lot of the initial complaints about slow speeds had been fixed. They had a lot of them left at the local Apple store and of course he decided to buy one. It does condense things for him. He only has to carry one thing instead of three. He usually carries his phone, his pda, and his ipod almost everywhere he goes.

Gee, I guess I should be happy with my two bars. Looks like Anchorage and most So, my question to those who have an iPhone: How well do all the buttons show up in bright sunlight? I can't read my RAZR unless I shade the screen which makes it rather difficult to find a name in my address book, but at least I have number buttons and can dial from memory. If the screen on the iPhone gets washed out, I'd think you'd be SOL.

My son had his in the back yard today and I had no problem seeing the screen. I have a hard time with most phones in good lighting...lol

Was listening to the Twins game today and the announcer mentioned Justin Morneau got a iphone today (he kept saying Ipod). When one of the teammates told him "why would you buy it since it doesn't work in Canada"(Morneau is from Canada) he said "eh it looks cool"

Now I thought that was funny. He at least can have no issues affording it :)

Well I'm writing from my new iphone.
Walked right in and got it late last night 8gig.
Activated this evening after my gig,which took all of 20 minutes.
This just keeps blowing away with everything I try.

Wow, I'm surprised (well, not really)

I respect everyone who says they aren't getting one for various reasons, but first let's clear up some misperceptions..nowhere has the battery been rated at 500 recharge cycles. I have a 3rd gen iPod from 2003 that is still going strong. It really depends on how well you take care of the thing.

Second, it DOES have a removable SIM, however it's locked to AT&T.

I got one, and it's great. I'm an Apple computer user as well, but I'm by no means a fanboy, I still have PCs, work on PCs at work, and respect the strengths and weaknesses of both platforms.

There's more to the iPhone than it being just a $500 phone. It's an iPod, phone, and web browser all in one. The browser is true safari, not a watered down WAP browser. You might think browsing sites on the small screen would be difficult, but it's not really.

Plus, the input on the device is really, really great. If this phone doesn't do what you want, give Apple some time and they'll make a phone you'll want. You cannot use an iPhone and then go back and say a Motorola has an acceptable UI

I have the 4GB and I have some issues that I hope will be resolved. First, it doesn't do MMS, and it doesn't have a proper IM application. Second, you can't load 3rd party apps or widgets. Third, you can't set your own custom ringtones (but this is coming). Most of the problems can be fixed in software updates which Apple has already said will be coming. The only issue that can't be fixed in software is that it's EDGE only, but since it has Wifi, the only time you'll probably be on EDGE is when you're in a cab or on a train or something like that. Plus, the 3G chipsets are hotter, bigger, and eat up much more battery life than the EDGE chipset. When the 2nd generation iPhone comes it will blow the doors off the current one.

And in terms of a corporate environment, it doesn't replace a blackberry, but in a small business it's great. It syncs really easily to either Outlook if you have Windows or with your Apple apps if you have a Mac. Plus, it handles IMAP email MUCH MUCH better than my blackberry did.

All in all, it's a great device and it does what my Sony Ericsson w810 did and more. I can carry this and leave my iPod in the car, while listening to my iPhone walking down the street or at work. This is one device where convergence doesn't make the thing less than the sum of it's parts

nowhere has the battery been rated at 500 recharge cycles.

Actually this is true because the statement was extrapolated from the basic chemistry of the battery, not a myth that putting a little apple symbol on it will magically make the battery immortal! :)

but since it has Wifi, the only time you'll probably be on EDGE is when you're in a cab or on a train or something like that.

You obviously don't have much experience with wifi in a cell phone and traveling. I do! About 3 years worth now, first with an IPAQ and the last 18 months with an XV6700. wifi is good when I'm at home, in my own hot spot, while away from home only when I'm in a hot zone ( which is less than 1% of the time I travel.) Thank Verizon that I have EVDO in most cities now and 14 kbps anywhere else I have cellphone signal. In addition, when you do find a "free" public open wifi zone, these often require involved login process that is cumbersome on a cell phone due to small keypad and screen. So much easier to tap on the IE symbol and be instantly online with EVDO. I only resort to wifi when I need to download a large mp3 file since wifi is indeed faster than EVDO as long as the wifi hotspot isn't loaded up with other users.

Nothing you mentioned is significant when comparing to other PDA phones like the Treo series and the XV6700, Samsung PDA etc.

Now, what I want to see, is the speed of the iphone. You didn't mention anything about that and that's what these other PDA Phones all lack. They are limited in memory, something iphone has apparently, as my XV6700 is only 2Gb, but the speed of the processor is boosted on mine at 520Mhz. The new XV6800 is expected to have 4gb capability with micro SD cards but the real interesting thing is it will have dual cameras for video skype. Does the Iphone do that? Maybe in the next generation.

Don't get me wrong here... I'm not badmouthing Apple's latest marketing genius. the best thing about the iphone is that it will pump mucho bucks into the company from all its cult followers. But, lets be honest about this, like the ipod, mp3 players were around long before ipod and ipod just offered a slick way to navigate with that wheel. The iphone is nothing more than another PDA phone with state of the art features. The little Apple symbol on it makes it unique and another idol for the cult members to bow down and worship. Otherwise it is just another PDA phone

Here's what I think is coming: Apple will sell iPhones for the next four months, gathering all those people who want a 3.5" iPod / PDA / Mobile Web device and will pay out the nose for the bragging rights. Then, in time for Christmas '07, the stripped-down iPod version will show up, for those of us who don't want or need a new phone and don't want to pay AT&T a monthly fee to have a portable music/video player.

By taking out the camera and cellular phone parts and putting in a 100G microdrive, you should have a video iPod that should be attractive enough to get current iPod users to jump at the bigger screen and touch controls and be able to sell it for $349.

SatelliteGAL, that's for the feedback on the video screen. I hadn't seen any mention of how well the iPhone worked in bright sunlight.

nowhere has the battery been rated at 500 recharge cycles.

Actually this is true because the statement was extrapolated from the basic chemistry of the battery, not a myth that putting a little apple symbol on it will magically make the battery immortal! :)
Unless you're a chemist and know exactly the makeup of the battery, I'm just going to ignore this. It's just stupid to quote a set number of recharge cycles. 500 cycles would be less than 2 years for most people. It is based on an iPod, which as I mentioned before, I have two that have gone through much more than 500 cycles without any issue. Regardless, if it gets to the point that it won't hold a charge, you can get iPod batteries replaced for ~$50 if the device is out of warranty. If it's still in warranty, Apple will do it free.

You obviously don't have much experience with wifi in a cell phone and traveling. I do! About 3 years worth now, first with an IPAQ and the last 18 months with an XV6700. wifi is good when I'm at home, in my own hot spot, while away from home only when I'm in a hot zone ( which is less than 1% of the time I travel.) Thank Verizon that I have EVDO in most cities now and 14 kbps anywhere else I have cellphone signal. In addition, when you do find a "free" public open wifi zone, these often require involved login process that is cumbersome on a cell phone due to small keypad and screen. So much easier to tap on the IE symbol and be instantly online with EVDO. I only resort to wifi when I need to download a large mp3 file since wifi is indeed faster than EVDO as long as the wifi hotspot isn't loaded up with other users.

Nothing you mentioned is significant when comparing to other PDA phones like the Treo series and the XV6700, Samsung PDA etc.
I had a blackberry pearl for almost a year, and using that was a huge pain. I never used it for the internet on the phone itself, I only tethered it to my laptop, which, you cannot do with the iPhone I'll admit. However, the internet experience on the iPhone is different from any other phone before. It's not a pain to login to a public wifi if you need to. The only issue I am going to have is entering my school's 128-bit hex WEP key, but I only have to do that once, ever. EDGE is fast enough for browsing, email, etc. It's a phone, not a computer, so if you're downloading large files, you should probably get your computer out.

Now, what I want to see, is the speed of the iphone. You didn't mention anything about that and that's what these other PDA Phones all lack. They are limited in memory, something iphone has apparently, as my XV6700 is only 2Gb, but the speed of the processor is boosted on mine at 520Mhz. The new XV6800 is expected to have 4gb capability with micro SD cards but the real interesting thing is it will have dual cameras for video skype. Does the Iphone do that? Maybe in the next generation.
It is fluid. They have really outdone any phone in this realm. It's very very responsive, and they have given the UI priority over every other process, so it won't feel sluggish to you. The phones come in 4GB and 8GB models, and do not take external memory. It's built around an iPod stype platform.

Don't get me wrong here... I'm not badmouthing Apple's latest marketing genius. the best thing about the iphone is that it will pump mucho bucks into the company from all its cult followers. But, lets be honest about this, like the ipod, mp3 players were around long before ipod and ipod just offered a slick way to navigate with that wheel. The iphone is nothing more than another PDA phone with state of the art features. The little Apple symbol on it makes it unique and another idol for the cult members to bow down and worship. Otherwise it is just another PDA phone

See, you missed the whole point. It's not a PDA phone. It's an iPod and a phone, with safari and email added in. It's not meant to replace a blackberry, it's obvious since they don't have anything like BES for the iPhone. But, it's more than just Apple's marketing. It all boils down to the overall experience. If you like windows popping up notification bubbles constantly to tell you your computer is running ok then iPhone and a Mac probably isn't for you. If you like hunting down DLL files and installing COM extensions, then Apple products aren't for you. If you like your stuff to just work when you turn it on like your television or microwave without having to spend half the time working on the computer, then maybe you should check out Apple products.

I respect everyone who says they aren't getting one for various reasons, but first let's clear up some misperceptions..nowhere has the battery been rated at 500 recharge cycles. I have a 3rd gen iPod from 2003 that is still going strong. It really depends on how well you take care of the thing.
The official document we got from Apple says that. I'm just going by what we AT&T employees were told

Second, it DOES have a removable SIM, however it's locked to AT&T.
correct. But its married to the phone. So you cannot take a different sim card and put it in there. It will not work.

There's more to the iPhone than it being just a $500 phone. It's an iPod, phone, and web browser all in one. The browser is true safari, not a watered down WAP browser. You might think browsing sites on the small screen would be difficult, but it's not really.
Once you go to the EDGE Network that AT&T uses yep that 16k download is a real fast connection :)

Plus, the input on the device is really, really great. If this phone doesn't do what you want, give Apple some time and they'll make a phone you'll want. You cannot use an iPhone and then go back and say a Motorola has an acceptable UI

I have the 4GB and I have some issues that I hope will be resolved. First, it doesn't do MMS, and it doesn't have a proper IM application. Second, you can't load 3rd party apps or widgets. Third, you can't set your own custom ringtones (but this is coming). Most of the problems can be fixed in software updates which Apple has already said will be coming. The only issue that can't be fixed in software is that it's EDGE only, but since it has Wifi, the only time you'll probably be on EDGE is when you're in a cab or on a train or something like that. Plus, the 3G chipsets are hotter, bigger, and eat up much more battery life than the EDGE chipset. When the 2nd generation iPhone comes it will blow the doors off the current one.

And in terms of a corporate environment, it doesn't replace a blackberry, but in a small business it's great. It syncs really easily to either Outlook if you have Windows or with your Apple apps if you have a Mac. Plus, it handles IMAP email MUCH MUCH better than my blackberry did.

All in all, it's a great device and it does what my Sony Ericsson w810 did and more. I can carry this and leave my iPod in the car, while listening to my iPhone walking down the street or at work. This is one device where convergence doesn't make the thing less than the sum of it's parts

you're a beta tester. Yes I know...lots of products are beta testers. Like I say, I've seen and read enough info on the iphone to puke since I work for AT&T. I don't want one right now and probably never use one. :)

Last edited:
I'm not. I could care less about using all that crap . I barely use my cell as it is and only keep it so I can keep in touch with my family due to emergencies. I can't see paying $500.00 for a gadget.

I had a blackberry pearl for almost a year, and using that was a huge pain. I never used it for the internet on the phone itself, I only tethered it to my laptop, which, you cannot do with the iPhone I'll admit. However, the internet experience on the iPhone is different from any other phone before. It's not a pain to login to a public wifi if you need to. The only issue I am going to have is entering my school's 128-bit hex WEP key, but I only have to do that once, ever. EDGE is fast enough for browsing, email, etc. It's a phone, not a computer, so if you're downloading large files, you should probably get your computer out.

Well, everyone's use of these devices will be different. If the iphone is incapable of performing as I thought, then, yes, I should ignore it. I was mistaken that it WAS a PDA phone with ipod capability. You tell me it is an ipod and cell phone combo. with internet and e-mail capability. Throw in a calendar and voila- it's about as PDA as any of these competing devices. So I disagree with you that the iphone is not a PDA. It sure functions as one the way I see it. Plus, yes it is snappier than the others out there. The interface is quite good and that is its plus. But still we disagree that wifi is the answer for the traveler. I use it when it is available but as a traveler, as I said it is much less available than people let on. Then when you do find one, the login process is a PIA.

In my travels, I have a laptop but that is good for the hotel room and is an extension of my desktop back home, When in the field, I may need to look up something on the internet, demo a quick video for a client, check my calendar, bring up the local weather radar screen to see which way a storm is headed, etc. The iphone as well as other PDAs does all this. Rarely do I need to listen to music and I don't even own an ipod.

So, my point is that the iphone is not a revolutionary concept in cell phones as the mac heads believe, but the snappy user interface is a definite improvement over the competition.

For others who said no to getting one- just remember that other people DO want to have lots of capability in a single device, cell phone, internet, e-mail, video, mp3 player, weather, calendar, stock quotes, etc.

Well, everyone's use of these devices will be different. If the iphone is incapable of performing as I thought, then, yes, I should ignore it. I was mistaken that it WAS a PDA phone with ipod capability. You tell me it is an ipod and cell phone combo. with internet and e-mail capability. Throw in a calendar and voila- it's about as PDA as any of these competing devices. So I disagree with you that the iphone is not a PDA. It sure functions as one the way I see it. Plus, yes it is snappier than the others out there. The interface is quite good and that is its plus. But still we disagree that wifi is the answer for the traveler. I use it when it is available but as a traveler, as I said it is much less available than people let on. Then when you do find one, the login process is a PIA.

In my travels, I have a laptop but that is good for the hotel room and is an extension of my desktop back home, When in the field, I may need to look up something on the internet, demo a quick video for a client, check my calendar, bring up the local weather radar screen to see which way a storm is headed, etc. The iphone as well as other PDAs does all this. Rarely do I need to listen to music and I don't even own an ipod.

So, my point is that the iphone is not a revolutionary concept in cell phones as the mac heads believe, but the snappy user interface is a definite improvement over the competition.

For others who said no to getting one- just remember that other people DO want to have lots of capability in a single device, cell phone, internet, e-mail, video, mp3 player, weather, calendar, stock quotes, etc.

The interface is exactly what is different about the phone. If you look at it feature by feature, this phone is about 3 years behind (not counting the iPod and full HTML browser) but if you take the interface, multi touch, and the way it works, it's different than anything you've ever used. It's more like using a Star Trek interface than anything else.

What I think is sad is that people who use Microsoft products, and Motorola phones, and all of that see Apple and immediately dismiss it. I've used all the different phones so I can look at the pros and cons, but don't dismiss it out of hand just because it's an Apple product. Sit down and use it, give it an objective look, and 9 times out of 10 you'll probably like the Apple product more (whether it's iPhone, iPod, or a Mac)

and the battery is only good for 500 charges then you have to have someone else replace it

Yepp, you can send it in to Apple for a cost of $79.(of course they warranty the battery for 1 year :rolleyes: )

Other great thing is that if you buy the phone from Apple and not ATT, then ATT will not handle the repair. You must send it back to apple.

Just more ,galactically stoopid, Apple.

correct. Anything to do with the phone goes to apple. If you have any issues with a feature that is not related to AT&T service (ie: voicemail) you call apple.

Oh that outta be fun. Sorry sir, I can help you with the voicemail but if you want to figure out how to download pictures you need to call apple.

correct. Anything to do with the phone goes to apple. If you have any issues with a feature that is not related to AT&T service (ie: voicemail) you call apple.

Oh that outta be fun. Sorry sir, I can help you with the voicemail but if you want to figure out how to download pictures you need to call apple.

Geez.

I mean dont get me wrong, apple has some great gadgets, but their cons often outweigh the pros and thats why I refuse to buy in. Can anyone say "APPLE TV".

When my phone craps out now, I walk into the store and get it fixed. When my battery craps out, I buy one for $20 off ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)