So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Can I tell you a secret... I believe the OTA software is already on your box. It might not be the final version but if it's on there it's there making sure it causes no issues or memory leak issues.

Of course I could be wrong as well. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Scott, you are never wrong just misinformed. I needed OTA for my third tuner with three tuners per hopper and two hoppers its all good. There are no significant OTA channels in my area cept maybe local weather

Perhaps they can track down a couple OTA module problems with the 922 while they debug the hopper. I have found that taking the OTA module out of the 922 makes it dramatically less buggy.

Nope the modules are totally different between the 922 and hopper the OTA software had to be written from the ground up to support moca.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Very interesting if it's already there. Of course, the REAL interest is for manual timers for both OTA and satellite provided programming that you can set using the STB and not Dish Online.

I think that those of you waiting for manual timers are up a s**t creek without a paddle. Granted I would love to see it as well but Dish seems hell-bent on leaving it out for some reason. Here's hoping that I'm wrong though.

It's harmless if it's there unless someone has access to a Dish-specific USB OTA tuner. I do suspect the s/w will restrict itself to a Dish-supplied dongle too.

Oh, I think you're safe with THAT prediction. And perhaps for good reason. Doesn't matter, I'd buy one from them, unless obscenely priced (which I don't expect).

I'm glad I found this post, or I was going to open a new one. I was/am also waiting for any OTA support.

Dish Customer for 14 yrs (started with 3000 series) with 722, 622 and 612, spending over $160/month. Here in Columbus, Oh there are many OTA sub-channels including MyTV and others that simply are not carried by Dish and wife insists on watching her retro shows. Also, in a heavy overcast condition, I lose lock whenever a decent storm comes over. Dish is peaked to absolute max by a 20 yr veteran and I have him come back every 3-4 of years to recheck it.

So lack of OTA or the ability to keep one of my VIP's to record OTA until they supply it is a show stopper for me. Guess I'll just keep on waiting and let them work the OTA bugs out for a while.

I guess the rumour about availability in a month beginning with a J must mean January...

That's what I was afraid of all along when Scott first mentioned a month with a J in it last June. This is DISH and the word SOON means anything but soon, in real life. Luckily, I have my 211k set up for the welcome pack on a second account for just ota. I hope to drop it a soon as the make ota usb module available.

Man, am I glad people are starting to stir up this thread again! That OTA module is all that's stopping me from getting the Hopper. Scott, please keep us updated on this. My 2 year contract is almost up. I'm chomping at the bit to get Hopper when this is available!

That's what I was afraid of all along when Scott first mentioned a month with a J in it last June. This is DISH and the word SOON means anything but soon, in real life. Luckily, I have my 211k set up for the welcome pack on a second account for just ota. I hope to drop it a soon as the make ota usb module available.

Lack of OTA is the reason I'm still waiting too. We get rain fade several times a year here in Sioux City, Iowa,and don't have CW on dish without OTA. Many years ago I got a vip222 because dish indicated it would add dvr function "soon". Vip222 never did get dvr functionality and so I'm gunshy about dish promises to add future functionality.

I like my ViP's and have terrabytes of programs archived and understand that some content on them may not play on the Hopper / Joey, have a free upgrade available with my DIRECTV sub. Already have MRV with them so might try for the HR34 to add to my HR20 & HR24's ... plus Dish has no 3D.

All your recorded content will play on the Joey. :) (This was a bug that has been fixed)

As I hinted earlier OTA is a top priority. ;)

Stay tuned.

Scott Greczkowski said:
All your recorded content will play on the Joey. :) (This was a bug that has been fixed)

As I hinted earlier OTA is a top priority. ;)

Stay tuned.

No info on the manual timer side to that OTA story, still?

No info on the manual timer side to that OTA story, still?

I noticed that with 221 software on the hopper I could once again use sling. Last night I set a Manual timer for my hopper over DISH Remote Access and it Worked! So it looks like you can use manual timers over sling anyway. My only question is will it work once ota is added to the hopper for all ota channels and sub channels ,even if they have no guide data? If it works like the 722k did with sling and dish remote access , you couldn't do any manual timers on any ota channels that didn't have guide data supplied by DISH.