So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

I was just responding to your post about the Joey having it's own ota module.

As for not switching to the H/J until an ota module is available, I agree 100%. I have a 722 and a 211 and get ota from 2 different cities, Rochester and Syracuse NY. My dma is Rochester. There are subchannels on Syracuse PBS that are not carried in Rochester. Weather subchannels on both cities. I will not switch till the ota module for the Hopper is released.
In addition to Dish, I was getting TW internet plus the super basic($15/mo) cable package. Called to cancel the cable, but TW made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Internet a digital cable with a dvr and a digital box for a 2nd tv for $49/mo for 2 years. I was paying $62 including tax before Gives me MSG for the Sabres.

navychop said:
With my two ViP722 DVRs, note not K models, I can set manual timers for OTA programs off my antenna from the STB. I do not get guide data because I have grandfathering for no-locals. Both my DVRs act up every now and then, so I'm not sure they're long for this world. But I'm beginning to think maybe replacing them with two ViP612s might be the wiser move.

With the demise of ER and DH, it is rare that we watch OTA; but the feature, and manual timers from the STB, are important to us. We may want to watch a PBS program in HD (which sometimes really looks like HD), or some offbeat program from one of the other, smaller, stations in the area. And most of all, my in-laws watch a lot of local stations when they visit. And they (well, my MiL) know how to DVR.

Manual timers are being worked on for the Hopper.

I hope that they soon add the ota +manual timers option. I need two usb tuners for my two hoppers. I can then drop the second account just for welcome pack and ota recordings . I hope in September they get ota fixed and out the door so I can take full advantage of my hoppers.

MikeD-C05 said:
I hope that they soon add the ota +manual timers option. I need two usb tuners for my two hoppers. I can then drop the second account just for welcome pack and ota recordings . I hope in September they get ota fixed and out the door so I can take full advantage of my hoppers.

You and me both. Meanwhile most of my local channel needs are furnished by Dish (Big Four HD, PBS HD, CW/MY SD, even a couple of channels I can't get OTA.) Sometimes I miss some of the sub-channels but I have tons of other stuff I can be watching instead.

I've been really hoping that this thing would show up before the fall TV season starts, I could use the extra tuner. But that hope is starting to fade as September looms......

With the advent of digital OTA, (subchannels) and the ever present locals disputes with all carriers, I no longer consider an integrated OTA module a luxury. Sure you can go directly to your TV from your antenna and without an additional device not be able to record/schedule programs, but I think we are past that now. I make extensive use of my OTA.

But I'll wait.

That's what I've learned from Dish as well. I got a Vip222 and then waited for many months for dvr capability for the Vip222 that never happened and then waited for the sling extender that was promised. I no longer will buy/lease any Dish equipment based upon some promise from Dish about upcoming features or technology.

I bought a used Tivo HD on Craiglist for $50 and just paying $10 a month to record OTA.. far cheaper than having a second DISH account for OTA.

I also want the OTA. Florida is notorious for rain fade (it's torrential right now) and I also like the additional channels. As we are almost to the end of August - any news available????

any news available????
last time scott posted they were still waiting on software.... I'm still guessing september/october

The general recommendation is that anyone dependent on OTA should not be getting Hopper until the module has been released and probably well reviewed by forum members.

Last edited:
I also want the OTA. Florida is notorious for rain fade (it's torrential right now) and I also like the additional channels. As we are almost to the end of August - any news available????

Also, living in Coral Springs, with OTA we get locals from Miami and West Palm Beach markets.

I miss OTA since i got the hoppers. Hopefully it will not be much longer.

I bought a used Tivo HD on Craiglist for $50 and just paying $10 a month to record OTA.. far cheaper than having a second DISH account for OTA.

The difference is I already owned the 211k from two years ago. I only pay $16.60 with tax included a month, to record the shows I want for ota . I will only need it for a few months, till the hopper gets ota. If that is in the next month or two , I will come out ahead of you on total price paid.;)

Tonight is a perfect example of why an ota tuner is needed. Tonight's NASCAR race is on ABC. Here in Rochester NY, ABC is showing the Buffalo Bills preseason game and showing NASCAR in SD on 13.2 subchannel. Syracuse ABC which I get ota is showing NASCAR in HD. Without ota capabilities, I could not alternate between the two.

I suspect the number of customers who can receive OTA from (2) different markets is rather small and that Dish doesn't factor that into the urgency of development.

I get two DMAs in Nebraska. Still waiting for OTA. Could not live with out ME TV. MY TV and PBS and CW in HD which none are up on the SAT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts