So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

I don't mind if OTA isn't there at launch because of PTAT. While I do like the increased quality of OTA (for the cost of extra HDD space), I use it to be able to record 4 things at the same time. PTAT takes care of that for me. I'd missing having the subchannels, but it's something I can live with. Oh and 2 OTA tuners are better than just one. :)

I will switch from DirecTV to Dish once OTA is in place and the Two Hoppers can see each other.

One OTA tuner is OK as I know these are already on the shelves in stores and at Amazon and Newegg.

The idea is using a One Tuner OTA will speed up Dish's ***TIME TO MARKET*** . They just need pick a model to support, add drivers and the software integration. I think the Hopper is Linux based so the drivers are already there.
They do not need to create or farm out hardware creation. I hope they pick a good quality USB OTA model, one known for picking up stations far away.

I also plan to get TWO Hoppers so I am assuming once they can see each other I will have TWO OTA tuners on the system. One USB OTA for each Hopper.
If not One OTA tuner will still be OK

Last edited:
I will wait until the OTA tuner is available, and then jump in for sure. I would love 2 tuners, but I only have 1 now so that would be fine.

Hopper PTAT solves the issue of not having enough tuners to record the major networks, for which I have to rely on OTA today. But it doesn't solve the problem of other missing local channels such as PBS HD in my market, and obviously the sub-channels. Personally I could live without the sub-channels, but I won't give up PBS. So no Hopper for me, OTA being one of the major reasons besides the high cost for a 2 room system compared to what I have today.

Number 1 reason why I won't pay to upgrade is FEES , the number 2 reason is ota support. I would prefer having dual ota tuners, but if need be, could just use one usb tuner on each of the two hoppers I would need on my account. The number 3 reason why is that the hoppers don't see each other yet. Once the ota and the hopper communication is worked out ,along with the bugs , I MIGHT consider upgrading.

Who is NOT getting planning on upgrading because of the fact that OTA is missing at launch?

This is one of the main reasons I am not even considering the upgrade.

Will you upgrade to one once OTA support is available?
Probably not. The main reason is because Dish will not allow an account have VIP receivers on the same account as a hopper. At this point that is a showstopper for me. The hopper could be lined in Gold and I still wouldn't seriously consider it right now with this MORONIC restriction. I know why they want to do it, but it is still what is keeping me from considering the change.

What if the OTA support only supported one OTA tuner? Would that prevent you from upgrading?
That is what I have now, but again this is not the main issue. It's just a major stopping point.

This is one of the reasons I will not be upgrading right away. The other is the lack on dual hopper integration as well as not allowing mixed system.

I am with DustoMan here.

"I don't mind if OTA isn't there at launch because of PTAT. While I do like the increased quality of OTA (for the cost of extra HDD space), I use it to be able to record 4 things at the same time. PTAT takes care of that for me. I'd missing having the subchannels, but it's something I can live with. Oh and 2 OTA tuners are better than just one. :) " DustoMan

Having lived with the 922 and OTA for almost 2 years, won't PTAT take the place of the OTA for me.... if so why would I need the OTA? I use OTA mainly to record 4 PTAT shows at once.

That said I don't know if I will be allowed to upgrade until this fall because I used the "Dishing IT Up" to get the 922?

Another thing I have noticed is people want 2 hoppers in case one fails, well what do we do now if we only have one receiver and it fails, well we wait until the replacement arrives. :rolleyes:

Moe​

OTA will not be a dealbreaker for me. I rarely use it now as is with a 722 and 622. I have an OTA antenna run directly to the individual sets for the rare times I need a subchannel or rain is blocking signal. PTAT more than makes up for lack of OTA. The majority of our recordings are network channels, so being able to record all the network shows, plus 2 other tuners worth at once is plenty for me.

But your mileage my vary

The OTA doesn't bother that much. The integration of two Hoppers is much more important.

My thoughts exactly! While OTA is nice to have, to me the PTAT fills in that need to record more shows. The integration of 2 Hoppers is the real must-wait-for feature.

I am with DustoMan here.

"I don't mind if OTA isn't there at launch because of PTAT. While I do like the increased quality of OTA (for the cost of extra HDD space), I use it to be able to record 4 things at the same time. PTAT takes care of that for me. I'd missing having the subchannels, but it's something I can live with. Oh and 2 OTA tuners are better than just one. :) " DustoMan

Having lived with the 922 and OTA for almost 2 years, won't PTAT take the place of the OTA for me.... if so why would I need the OTA? I use OTA mainly to record 4 PTAT shows at once.

That said I don't know if I will be allowed to upgrade until this fall because I used the "Dishing IT Up" to get the 922?

Another thing I have noticed is people want 2 hoppers in case one fails, well what do we do now if we only have one receiver and it fails, well we wait until the replacement arrives. :rolleyes:

Moe

I think a number of those making that statement have more than one receiver now due to multiple sets. They wouldn't necessarily need another receiver with the Hopper system. They are willing to pay the addition couple hundred to have a second Hopper if its fees are no more than a Joey's.

OTA is important but with PTAT it's not a deal breaker. I would still have to use one of the tuners to record CW since it wouldn't be part of PTAT. Only network we have that's not HD on DISH is Ion, one of the independent channels and all the subs, but I can get them off the antenna. I'll still wait till after a few reports and bugs are worked out.

Since they added CW and PBS in HD to our locals, I could live without OTA support for a while. Not being able to have VIP and H/J on the same account will hold me back.

I'll be waiting until OTA is supported, then I'll be going with two Hoppers and one Joey. I would like one OTA tuner on each Hopper but could live with one. We record (two users) many subchannels, seven actually. with some overlap at times.

I will then be hoping for a quick integration of the hoppers.

I should have included this in my earlier response, but another reason I'll wait is to let Dish get the bugs sorted out. Sorry, but I've been around with Dish and seeing new receiver releases to know that there will be issues. I don't care how much they may claim otherwise or how much resources they're devoting to making it "ready" when it's released.

Weren't the same things said about the 922, 942, and so on ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)