So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Two years is along time to be under a contract with no over the air tuner OTA. Just wish we would hear an official update from dish Not an update from some one who heard something but can't quote the source due to a press black out or NDA test agreement.
What about that guy from dish who said it was coming this summer can we get an update from him? Wish they still had Charlie chats so we could ask

What about that guy from dish who said it was coming this summer can we get an update from him? Wish they still had Charlie chats so we could ask

It almost makes you wonder if they cancelled Charlie Chats due to unwanted questions. At this point Dish would be avoiding questions related to OTA on hopper, AMC coming back, VOOM lawsuit and other channel disputes. I remember when Charlie said that DVR was coming to the 222 and the other guy on with him tried to stop him from talking.

Two years is along time to be under a contract with no over the air tuner OTA. Just wish we would hear an official update from dish Not an update from some one who heard something but can't quote the source due to a press black out or NDA test agreement.

Agree, this is my point. Nobody gains anything by keeping everyone in the dark. They need to just come out and say if/when it is coming and be done. Quit playing all the damn games.

I know the fast few Charlie chats seem to be infomercial like, getting away from questions I thought.

bchandler02 said:
Agree, this is my point. Nobody gains anything by keeping everyone in the dark. They need to just come out and say if/when it is coming and be done. Quit playing all the damn games.

This is funny. What games? They gave an estimate and the release slipped beyond that time frame which has everyone upset. Now you want a new release estimate when it's been reported that the hold up is caused by something outside of their control? If it's outside of their control, then any new timeframe would be a guess and even more people would be up in arms about not having OTA by the stated date if it slipped again.

Strikes me as a no win situation for them until they have a firm release date.

This is funny. What games? They gave an estimate and the release slipped beyond that time frame which has everyone upset. Now you want a new release estimate when it's been reported that the hold up is caused by something outside of their control? If it's outside of their control, then any new timeframe would be a guess and even more people would be up in arms about not having OTA by the stated date if it slipped again.

It's been speculated that the release date is beyond their control. Not confirmed. This goes back to the lack of communication. I think many here would be much happier if Dish had come out in May and said "We are planning a July 31st release date". If that was missed, then provide an update: "We're not going to make the release date due to things outside of our control, our latest estimate puts it around December 1st".

I don't buy for a second that they have no clue or control over it. They may not be able to pinpoint a date, but they have a general idea of where they stand in the release process and what to expect.

I'm personally more irritated with the flat out refusal to communicate to customers, like this OTA tuner is some kind of top secret technology. I can understand why companies don't release news about upcoming products early when the product is something new or has significant features (PTAT is an example that comes to mind) - they don't want competitors to know and be able to copy it in the meantime. But, this is an OTA tuner. Nothing new here. Every TV manufactured for the last 50 years has had a OTA tuner of some sort in it.

If it is in fact something beyond their control, I don't see any downside to announcing that they still plan on releasing the OTA unit, but it has been delayed due to _____ reason and that they hope to have it be ready for purchase on _______ date. At least then we could have some real information instead of leaked info and speculation.

It's been speculated that the release date is beyond their control.

For that one I am not speculating anything. I know it as a fact.

My track record speaks for itself.

When its due for release you will find about about it here first. :)

OTA is coming to the Hopper, this I can PROMISE you and everyone else here at SatelliteGuys.

Scott telling us that it is beyond their control is NOT speculation.

EDIT: See? He snuck in ahead of me. :)

I don't doubt that Dish intends to release it at this point but I'd like to get an official reason for its delay and estimated release date. They can always update that information if it changes.

KEY WORD= REPORTED.

Dish it self has never said what was said.
It is someone who heard it from Dish that has a super good always right track record that said it.
But it is still kind of a He said He said, or maybe even a He Said He said He Said . . .

I want Dish to issue a statement that it is slipped and is out of there control but it 100% for sure on the way someday and is not being canceled.
I would expect this of ANY publicly traded company who said something recorded on VIDEO, that was delayed. This might of impacted some stock purchase choices
Or choices to buy the product in the first place which impacts the stock price. Someone should report this to the FTC :)
Dish should do the right thing . . . when you are a publicly traded company you have certain requirements with statements and updates to the shareholders.

Last edited:
KEY WORD= REPORTED.

Dish it self has never said what was said.
It is someone who heard it from Dish that has a super good always right track record that said it.
But it is still kind of a He said He said, or maybe even a He Said He said He Said . . .

I want Dish to issue a statement that it is slipped and is out of there control but it 100% for sure on the way someday and is not being canceled.
I would expect this of ANY publicly traded company who said something recorded on VIDEO, that was delayed. This might of impacted some stock purchase choices
Or choices to buy the product in the first place which impacts the stock price. Someone should report this to the FTC :)
Dish should do the right thing . . . when you are a publicly traded company you have certain requirements with statements and updates to the shareholders.

I wouldn't bet on even a press release from Dish themselves even meaning much... Not that I am saying that OTA won't come out... I'm pretty sure it will, but hell dish issued a PR announcement for the infamous Weather Channel local weather feeds, only for that to never amount to anything! I certainly wouldn't shoot the messenger, I'm sure that's what they were really told by a Dish employee, and the employee themselves truly believed that was the honest truth, but things change without notice...

I don't doubt that Dish intends to release it at this point but I'd like to get an official reason for its delay and estimated release date. They can always update that information if it changes.

Dish has to have a reason for people to get or keep the old DVRs

I wouldn't bet on even a press release from Dish themselves even meaning much... Not that I am saying that OTA won't come out... I'm pretty sure it will, but hell dish issued a PR announcement for the infamous Weather Channel local weather feeds, only for that to never amount to anything! I certainly wouldn't shoot the messenger, I'm sure that's what they were really told by a Dish employee, and the employee themselves truly believed that was the honest truth, but things change without notice...

I agree that a press release may not ultimately be accurate because things change but it would be very much appreciated to get some type of official information. Even if the release date was missed- they could give an update an a new estimated date. Up until now, we are relying on 3rd hand info and speculation. I don't understand the need for the secrecy about a usb OTA tuner- it's not like giving the reason for delay and estimated shipping date would benefit their competitors.

Maybe they will mention an update on OTA on Monday when I hope they also announce an AMC deal. Then I could sign up that same day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)