So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

The "coming", "soon", etc is getting old. Either Dish is putting this thing out (and should provide a date estimate - seriously, what does it hurt to do so?) or it is vaporware.

Enough is enough already. Either put it out, put out a planned release date, or say it isn't coming. The word games provide no benefit for anyone.
The release date will be posted..............SOON. Chill, this is a forum not a business web site. THe VAST majority of Dish customers don't know anything about OTA coming or going. We are just a bunch of geeks wih nothing better to do.

Sure the SOON word game serves a purpose. It makes for a wonderful DISH Drinking Game. Everytime you hear that something is coming SOON, you take a drink! You should be comatose in a very short time.:eek:k:

Enough is enough already. Either put it out, put out a planned release date, or say it isn't coming. The word games provide no benefit for anyone.
Ok then. its not coming. Does that make you happy now?

April fools! :)

Actually to be honest, DISH does not know when its coming as a big part of it is out of their control. It could come tomorrow, next week or next month, again its out of their control and they are waiting just like us.(And that's all I can say about that. Sorry.) Trust me they want it out as badly as we do.

I can tell you that it's NOT vaperware. It is very real... and it works. (And again that's all I can say about that.)

When it is released I am sure you will hear about it first here at SatelliteGuys... so STAY TUNED!

So much for them releasing it in the summer..

It doesn't matter to me as we are too far away from both markets to get their channels OTA but I do wish DISH would release this for those who want/need it.

Ok then. its not coming. Does that make you happy now?

In a twisted way, if that was the case it actually would. At least then I could decide to stick with the 722 and move on, compared to now when I am wanting a new toy and waiting on OTA before I can get it.

The frustration was not directed at you, it was directed at Dish.

One wonders what "big part of it" is out of Dish control... They have the OEM working on the software? :eek:

I would guess the delay is like one of those iphone or ipod issues. . .

Dish wanted the latest and greatest OTA tuner chip as we requested the best. Hence the bigger box for the extra heat.

Dish has it being made over seas like they make iphones and ipods.
Someone has to put the board into that black plastic box and then they have to ship it back to the USA so Dish can sell them.
Somewhere. . . some part or some factory is just behind. That is where dish has no control, unless they want to be like Apple and just spend more money to make it deliver now and on time.
I am sure Dish has a good ETA from the factory, they are just not telling us in case it changes again.

Actually to be honest, DISH does not know when its coming as a big part of it is out of their control. It could come tomorrow, next week or next month, again its out of their control and they are waiting just like us.(And that's all I can say about that. Sorry.) Trust me they want it out as badly as we do.

I can tell you that it's NOT vaperware. It is very real... and it works. (And again that's all I can say about that.)

When it is released I am sure you will hear about it first here at SatelliteGuys... so STAY TUNED!
Sounds like Dish is waiting for some kind of regulatory approval.

ive never used the ota on a dish receiver so bear w me please...

If during a bad storm and you lose signal... if you have the ota hooked up to your receiver...will you still be able to watch those channels??? and if so record if needed???

Is the picture quality better on ota ( not a big deal just wondering)

Thanks

ive never used the ota on a dish receiver so bear w me please...

If during a bad storm and you lose signal... if you have the ota hooked up to your receiver...will you still be able to watch those channels??? and if so record if needed???

Is the picture quality better on ota ( not a big deal just wondering)

Thanks

Had a 922 with OTA attached, I could see the OTA channels in guide, yes during storms I would still get local channels, and yes I could record them, PQ well I never really did see a difference I could say yes to, at times it seemed better and others times not so much.

Moe

I wonder if they are awaiting FCC approval or if it is a copyright/patent issue that they are waiting on. I would think if they were just waiting for hardware to arrive, they would have a pretty good idea as to when that would happen.

mopee3 said:
Had a 922 with OTA attached, I could see the OTA channels in guide, yes during storms I would still get local channels, and yes I could record them, PQ well I never really did see a difference I could say yes to, at times it seemed better and others times not so much.

Moe

thanks

Sounds like Dish is waiting for some kind of regulatory approval.

Very good point, we did ask for the latest and best USB tuner. Maybe it is not yet FCC approved yet.
Or maybe putting it in that black plastic case changes the FCC signal Cert requiring a new one.
Or maybe they are waiting on a Patent, after all DirecTV put one on there OTA.

We can only guess, and I am sure Sat Guys will be the first to tell us in details all the past history that went on to allow the release of the OTA USB tuner, I cant wait to hear the details.

I checked with someone at the FCC sounds like they are very back logged by 6 Months. I sure hope this is not what we are waiting on.

So with storm season over, I went ahead and took the plunge for a 2H/2J system knowing the OTA tuner would be out at least by next spring (it will, won't it Scott?). So, of course today, trying to watch the OU/Texas game, a line of freak fall thunderstorms came through and here I was with no satellite signal and no OTA. I hooked an antenna up to the TV so we could keep watching the game, but I had to chuckle at the irony.

Overall loving the H/J system though. Very slick and very fast.

Oh, and Boomer Sooner!

So with storm season over, I went ahead and took the plunge for a 2H/2J system knowing the OTA tuner would be out at least by next spring (it will, won't it Scott?).

Unfortunately, no one seems to really know when it is coming out. We were told when hopper first came out that it would be soon. Then we were told it was coming out in a month that started in "J"- presumably June/July. Then we were told it would be by end of summer. Then we were told that Dish would just miss the end of summer. Now in mid-October it seems like some people in the know are saying that it is due to factors beyond Dish's control. That led to speculation that it is an FCC or patent issue, which could mean an extremely long delay. I am still concerned about Dish's history of announcing products, testing the products and then cancelling the products after a long delay. I'm waiting until it's actually available before I'll commit for another 2 years.

pparry said:
Unfortunately, no one seems to really know when it is coming out. We were told when hopper first came out that it would be soon. Then we were told it was coming out in a month that started in "J"- presumably June/July. Then we were told it would be by end of summer. Then we were told that Dish would just miss the end of summer. Now in mid-October it seems like some people in the know are saying that it is due to factors beyond Dish's control. That led to speculation that it is an FCC or patent issue, which could mean an extremely long delay. I am still concerned about Dish's history of announcing products, testing the products and then cancelling the products after a long delay. I'm waiting until it's actually available before I'll commit for another 2 years.

Yup, don't count on it until it's shipping. Don't count your chickens before they hatch... I do think it's coming but I'm not holding my breath or making plans depending on it.

I want one just to see what is on those other channels everyone on here keeps talking about I always deleted them and only kept CBS and ABC.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts