So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Seems as though a number of members are upset that the Hopper is being released without Over the Air (OTA) support.

Who is NOT getting planning on upgrading because of the fact that OTA is missing at launch?

Will you upgrade to one once OTA support is available?

What if the OTA support only supported one OTA tuner? Would that prevent you from upgrading?

I still plan to upgrade, and one OTA tuner is fine with me. I'll just watch OTA stuff directly connected to my TV and besides it looks sharper anyway. Not a deal breaker assuming they are planning on adding a OTA tuner in the future.

I will wait until ota is available. I would love it if each Joey could have an ota tuner. I need 2 joeys and 2 hoppers anyhow. That would still give me 2 tuners.

Still undecided, but if I did upgrade, I would wait. One would be fine with me.

I'll wait until OTA support is available and this should also give Dish time to get any bugs out of the hopper/Joey system. I would only need one OTA tuner although I would consider getting two if that was an option and the cost wasn't too great. I would also only need 1 Hopper and 1 Joey but if the only cost difference was the $100 upfront cost, I would prefer two Hoppers and no Joeys in case one of the Hoppers failed. I would have to replace some old RG-59 cable with RG-6 if I were to get two Hoppers instead of a Hopper and a Joey but that's no big deal.

Undecided, but if initial reviews are good I'll probably go ahead and jump. I don't really care about any of the sub channels, and there's always the TV tuner.

We're waiting until OTA support is there. Our locals are not in HD and there's no timeframe at all on if/when DISH will provide my locals in HD. While PTAT sounds like a good idea for me, we just can't take advantage of it.

I'm interested in the Hopper, but I want to play with it first at my local retailer.

A big concern is that I prefer vertical lists (words) to the horizontal tile presentation (images) of items that the 922/Hopper employs (we like what we like), but the true deal-breaker for me is current lack of OTA tuner(s).

I'm still using my vip622 since January 2007, and would really like to upgrade, but can't/won't do so without OTA support. Oh, and 2 tuner OTA would be great...

I think you can get a pretty accurate list of names from the Hopper Poll #2. :)

OTA is one of the items holding me back. One tuner would be fine for me too.

I'm not going to consider the Hopper until OTA is ready- we still watch PBS and CW. Neither of these is available through DISH except OTA. Obviously, I'd prefer two OTA tuners, but could make it work with one. In any event, I hope that the OTA is actually coming and isn't vaporware like the 222 external hard drive or the sling extender.

I'm not even seriously considering the upgrade until the Hoppers are integrated and OTA is available, preferably two tuners.

This applies to me as well. I also disagree with the no mixed VIP/H&J systems. That could be a deal breaker for me.:(

I cannot consider upgrading without OTA tuner support. Otherwise my family is a strong candidate for a 2-Hopper 2-Joey setup. I think with 2 Hoppers I should be good with 2 OTA tuners. Or are you suggesting Dish might offer only one OTA tuner regardless of the number of Hoppers/Joeys?

Seems as though a number of members are upset that the Hopper is being release without Over the Air (OTA) support.

Who is NOT getting planning on upgrading because of the fact that OTA is missing at launch?

Will you upgrade to one once OTA support is available?

What if the OTA support only supported one OTA tuner? Would that prevent you from upgrading?

I would not upgrade due to no OTA.

It will depend on the reports here from the subscribers who try it first,and report back how it works.

I have Dual Over the Air Tuners now with my 922, for what I want to use it for I would need Dual Over The Air Tuners,even though the Hopper has PTAT(which I like also).

It also depends on the prices and increases in the amounts I would have to pay to have this system in my home because I am on a fixed income,and would need to see if I can fit it in my budget.:confused:

DISH is installing a 211k today because I can't wait(son and girlfriend need DISH now!).;)

Last edited:
I cannot consider upgrading without OTA tuner support. Otherwise my family is a strong candidate for a 2-Hopper 2-Joey setup. I think with 2 Hoppers I should be good with 2 OTA tuners. Or are you suggesting Dish might offer only one OTA tuner regardless of the number of Hoppers/Joeys?
I could be wrong, but I think the question was related to whether there is interest in a dual-tuner OTA module. I imagine you could buy 2 separate single-tuner OTAs and put one in each hopper.

Not me. I could care less about OTA in the Hopper/Joey, but I would have to try to care less and that would take to much effort.:)