So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Pretty much all of the existing USB tuners are ATSC/QAM so the chipsets are readily available so what extra money?
There would have to be some level of software support on Dish's side (in the receiver(s)) in order to implement this. I've no doubt that the chipset and it's firmware handles both ATSC and QAM but device the tuner is being used in has to know what to do with this data.
I assume there are others in areas where OTA is difficult to recieve.
How many satellite customers also have cable service in their homes ? More importantly, remember that the number of Dish customers who want options, be it ATSC or QAM, on top of their satellite service is very small.

Isn't the pre-installed software (on new units) extremely stripped down, i.e. has very few end-user features ? It's main function is to boot the box up, acquire satellites, show basic setup screens, and most importantly, download everyday software ?

I do not plan to upgrade until OTA arrives. I have two 722k with dual ota and I receive stations from Boston and Providence and do more recording on OTA than Dish programming. I really would like two hoppers, but I'll wait for the OTA!!

I honestly don't think it would.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner
I do not either.

IMO, the CW would add more value to it than adding PBS. Not that I watch anything on either, but the wife would enjoy the addition (and I guess it would free up one more tuner for me)

well msmith198025 i honestly think it would sell more subscribers to upgrade to the hopper also but i am waiting until OTA support is available in our area to upgrade to one.

Someone asked what I wanted for Fathers day, I said the Hopper. Oh wait, it cant get the locals- PBS in HD, METV, MyTV, Local Weather, LiveWell PBS Iowa, PBS Kids ect with out the OTA.
Plus I want Hopper 1 to see Hopper 2 recordings (integration), and what about the Wakling Dead on AMC? Hummm

So I said guess we wait till my Birthday or Xmass. Wonder if dish sells Gift cards?

The deal-breaker for me isn't the OTA issue, although it is a consideration. Frankly, the deal-breaker with me on the Hopper is the lack of a 2nd TV output like the 622/722/922 have now. It is so integrated into my set-up, I am not sure I can live without it.

The deal-breaker for me isn't the OTA issue, although it is a consideration. Frankly, the deal-breaker with me on the Hopper is the lack of a 2nd TV output like the 622/722/922 have now. It is so integrated into my set-up, I am not sure I can live without it.

I think your a bit off base. The Hopper does have a TV2 equivalent out put. It's called a Joey. It just costs you $7/mo but it is also an HD output, not SD and you can have more than 1 HF remote viewing output. The Hopper requires a new mind set.

A Joey with modulator is a viable option. It's an issue you'll have to eventually come to terms with. Dish will keep the current VIPs around for years - as long as they have enough churn to keep the refurbs coming, but the last new duo receivers are probably already in the warehouse.

I believe Scott posted that initially, one USB single OTA tuner per Hopper. Would need 2 Hoppers to get 2 OTA tuners working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts